The REAL Art Carr

Race Jace

Research, New Tech and Development
Staff member
The real Art Carr is a little hard to find these days. I get a couple of calls a week asking how to get ahold of him. I have posted this before but wanted to post it again.

His company is called California Performance Trans.
His number is 800-278-2277
his websight is http://www.cpttransmission.com

his non lockup converters are second to none for the 2004r (and 400s ect)

He also has NHRA approved scatter shields for the 2004r.

To make it eariser for everyone to remember the # is actually 1(800) Art Carr.

Neal

Race Jace said:
The real Art Carr is a little hard to find these days. I get a couple of calls a week asking how to get ahold of him. I have posted this before but wanted to post it again.

His company is called California Performance Trans.
His number is 800-278-2277
his websight is http://www.cpttransmission.com

his non lockup converters are second to none for the 2004r (and 400s ect)

He also has NHRA approved scatter shields for the 2004r.

Art Carr sold his business and his name better than 10 years ago to a large company. Needless to say they started making low quality transmission stuff with the Art Carr name on it. Art sued them in court to get his name back but didn't win. That's why he does business as California Performance Transmission not Art Carr. Parts from Art Carr in TX are crap.

Neal

jusa6 said:
what about Texas Art Carr? any stories?

Jason-
No disrespect toward you, but eveyone i know dealing with art leads to this.

My best friend Nick in Knoxville Tn
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189270

My best friend Neil in Shawnee Ks
http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100117

I spent enough time under Neils car fixing what "the real art carr" should have done before shipping...

Hopefully Nick/his credit card company has a lawsuit against art carr..... I forwarded this page to him.

Art carr is the thorn in my side, when anyone mentions it i will speak up.
Sorry Jace

BW

There are always two sides to every story. The real art car does NOT have a reputation for poor quality or service. There are thousands of tranies out there that are full of Arts Parts. If you are getting a complete trans then have someone like Performance Trans of las vegas (len Freeman) or Bruce @PTS build you one. I have bought many many converters from him, they are awesome. Always on time and done right.

the guys out of texas that bought his name were terrable. out of 3 converters i got from then one was good. the other two were so far off dimenisionally they would not even fit (stack up height was to high) Of the one we got that actually would fit, it did not last a single season.

Have to agree on Real Art Carr non-lockup converters...very nice pieces...hey Jason...you say he has tranny shields for the 2004r's?...these are shields and not blankets...correct?...if so will have to give him a call

750H.P.V6 said:
Art Carr sold his business and his name better than 10 years ago to a large company. Needless to say they started making low quality transmission stuff with the Art Carr name on it. Art sued them in court to get his name back but didn't win. That's why he does business as California Performance Transmission not Art Carr. Parts from Art Carr in TX are crap.

Neal
That's funny. I've been running 9.0's- 9.30's for the last 2 years with my Art Carr (Texas) built transmission and converter and have yet to have a problem.

I think that the problem is that this God-forsaken place that we call the Internet is full of mis-lead and over-informed idiots. There are as many good posts as there are bad posts when it comes to either of those companies.

Why would a "Big Company" as you say spend thousands of dollars buying a company from a guy with a great reputation, then start selling "Crap parts" as you call it? He (Art ) has always had an awesome reputation in the automatic trans world, nobody will argue that. But why did he sell the company that bears his name? Knowing that he would never be able to use that name again as a business. Do you honestly think that he would simply sell his name to the "highest bidder", I'm sure he researched it and saw that the company was worthy of carrying his name on or he wouldn't have done it. If he did then he doesn't have the brain power to be building transmissions or anything else for that matter. You people should use you heads and not just slander and talk out of your asses because you have nothing better to do with your time.

That's just my $.02 ..

NEAL
Keith Craft Racing Engines

Truth is the real art carr in huntington beach will stand behind his work, lately they have been having some problems with 3 of thier best people leaving the company so Art has been trying to train new guys to do the job the old pro's use to do, his guy who build the convertors just recently passed away from a major heart attack, good thing the young guy who has been working with the old guy for over 15 yrs building the convertors took over, also one of his best for building the 2004r left art to go with another company so they are going through some major changes but they still stand behind thier work, my trannie wasn't done right the 1'st,2nd, or 3rd time but when they finally got it right it was perfect..

I just got a tranny shield from Art .. fits like a glove.. BUT ya have to play with the shifter cable :wink: ... I have delt with Art since 1989 :p

We're done with the Real Art Carr also. We heard all the good things about his converters so we bought one to compare with what we had been running. 2nd trans brake leave and we killed it...broke the sprag on a low 10 second car. Sent it back and they wanted some insane amount of $$ to fix it. Apparantly our 10 second car had broken what they told us 2000hp couldn't break :rolleyes:

We told them to ship it back and was amazed at some of the stock internals in this high $$ billet converter. We had our local company PTC fix it how it should be and it's been bullet proof. They replaced the stator with one of their own and converted it to spragless. We learned our lesson.....maybe those guys used what they had laying around in our's and everybody else really gets a good piece :confused: Our impression was they are overpriced by almost 3 times what they should be for the product you get. If you guys want a real proven piece let me know. We got tired of messing with these other companies and now offer our own line of PTC race converters....you get what you pay for.

I dont want to be a dick also but when there was only "1" torque converter bolt installed on my $2800 trans something is up.... :rolleyes:

Its not Art, its the guys he has working for him in the garage...

Everyone has horror stories, and they'll continue to have them. But customer service as well as the product is what I judge a company by. The Texas based Art Carr has the best customer service I've experinced hands down.

Race cars will never be equipped with parts that won't break that's just the nature of the beast. It's how a company handles the breakage that means alot to me. If this stuff was cheap and easy women and kids would be doing it. ;)

Dusty Bradford said:
We're done with the Real Art Carr also.

We told them to ship it back and was amazed at some of the stock internals in this high $$ billet converter.

Our impression was they are overpriced by almost 3 times what they should be for the product you get. If you guys want a real proven piece let me know. We got tired of messing with these other companies and now offer our own line of PTC race converters....you get what you pay for.

So it was over priced by 3x, then you say....you get what you pay for??
Well, did you get what you paid for?
How much is the PTC?
My non-billet, non-lock 9in from Art was around $840 or so.

You bought a billet converter from art?? Never seen that one before. :confused:

turbo2nr said:
So it was over priced by 3x, then you say....you get what you pay for??
Well, did you get what you paid for?
How much is the PTC?
My non-billet, non-lock 9in from Art was around $840 or so.

You bought a billet converter from art?? Never seen that one before. :confused:

Art Carr (TX) is the one that invented the Billet converter Cover I remember that from way back. Now they've gone to some kind of jazzy new 1 pc. forged unit.

The converter was around $1100 with what he called a billet backing plate. It came direct from them. I'm sure we could have saved some money by going through a vendor but we wanted to be sure we got the REAL Art Carr.

The internals were what you normally find in a $350 converter...we we're very disappointed. We did not get our money's worth.

The PTC will run around the same price but it's internals are the same exact pieces you see in O/L 10.5 car's running in the 6's....you do get your money's worth. We have a few of these testing already. Roy and Laz had one in their Stage 2/ GN1 car when it broke into the 8's.

That's the story I got from Art. I'm glad you have all the answers and were able to put me straight. BTW, I'm not a mis-lead or over-informed idiot either.

Neal

NEAL said:
That's funny. I've been running 9.0's- 9.30's for the last 2 years with my Art Carr (Texas) built transmission and converter and have yet to have a problem.

I think that the problem is that this God-forsaken place that we call the Internet is full of mis-lead and over-informed idiots. There are as many good posts as there are bad posts when it comes to either of those companies.

Why would a "Big Company" as you say spend thousands of dollars buying a company from a guy with a great reputation, then start selling "Crap parts" as you call it? He (Art ) has always had an awesome reputation in the automatic trans world, nobody will argue that. But why did he sell the company that bears his name? Knowing that he would never be able to use that name again as a business. Do you honestly think that he would simply sell his name to the "highest bidder", I'm sure he researched it and saw that the company was worthy of carrying his name on or he wouldn't have done it. If he did then he doesn't have the brain power to be building transmissions or anything else for that matter. You people should use you heads and not just slander and talk out of your asses because you have nothing better to do with your time.

That's just my $.02 ..

NEAL
Keith Craft Racing Engines

anybody have pics either installed or other of the 2004R trans. shields?

p.s. I love my billet non-lock from Art.