the physical IAT, how hot is too hot?....sd2 guys

greeneyegi

im looking at my temps during boost runs and on a cool spring day,im readind 188degrees.
my question is @ what point will that stock plastic tip on the physical temp probe melt,and subsequently f things up downstream?

I'm guessing at those temps you must be running a stock location intercooler. Can't help with what temp the sensor can handle though.
To give you an idea of what a real good front mount can do like my V2. I made some logs last summer when the temps outside were in the 87-89° range, and the hottest that my inlet temps hit was 99°-101° at the top of third!

I'm guessing at those temps you must be running a stock location intercooler. Can't help with what temp the sensor can handle though.
To give you an idea of what a real good front mount can do like my V2. I made some logs last summer when the temps outside were in the 87-89° range, and the hottest that my inlet temps hit was 99°-101° at the top of third!
wow!
that would have been my second question,is mine too hot.
im in california,it dont get too hot.
that morning it was about 70 degrees.i jumped on it for about 1/8-1/4 mile.
its a dutt neck stock cooler though.
is their a metal iac we can use?i do work for a hvac controls company.im sure i can come up with the correct ohmed sensor if their isnt one on the market for us.

anything underhood will be made from decent material. I would think the sensor would be good for 250+.

I will see if I can find any specs on it.

Bob

im looking at my temps during boost runs and on a cool spring day,im readind 188degrees.
my question is @ what point will that stock plastic tip on the physical temp probe melt,and subsequently f things up downstream?
I work at the GM plant that makes the manifolds for GM trucks . The plastic manifolds are injection molded and the plastic is melted @ 535 degrees !! Most of the plastic components are of similar material and won't melt below 400 degrees, if your IAT gets that hot it's the least of your worries. :eek:

so after getting to the tracks a couple weeks ago.i was going over my logs and i see my iat peggs the graph before it is evenhalfway down the track.i was really impressed with the times,but i imagine if i can get these temps down a hundred degrees or so i might gain even more?guess this stock intercooler and dutt neck aint cutting it.
Any way to check the intercooler to see if something is wrong or these just wont handle it?what gives?....i was @28# and trapping 122...the temp went up as fast as the boost.the outside temps were never over 73deg outside.even down to 65 later in the evening when car really started picking up et's

I saw 166* IAT on my last track outing at 27-28 psi and a PTE front mount intercooler. Thought it was a bit high.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Instrument it w/ a thermocouple in the inlet side of the cooler.
Add 1 at the air cleaner inlet.
That way, you can see:
1. How efficient the cooler is. [Cooler in vs IAT in the intake.]
2. Temp rise thru the turbo. [Temp at the filter, vs temp at the cooler inlet.]
I tested the efficiency of the air intake on my 55..[Was seeing hi IAT's]
I built a intake/filter box that pulled air from ahead of the rad, and got IAT's right at ambient, even w/ under hoods at over 140*.
Mine was done w/ a Percy's thermocouple test kit.[2 channel].
Setting the same tests up on the LS in the TR.....
Here's a link to the fancy version of what I have. [Mine is basically a digital VOM]
http://www.jegs.com/p/Percys/Percy-s-Digital-Exhaust-Temp-Indicators-and-Accessories/745268/10002/-1

Instrument it w/ a thermocouple in the inlet side of the cooler.
Add 1 at the air cleaner inlet.
That way, you can see:
1. How efficient the cooler is. [Cooler in vs IAT in the intake.]
2. Temp rise thru the turbo. [Temp at the filter, vs temp at the cooler inlet.]
I tested the efficiency of the air intake on my 55..[Was seeing hi IAT's]
I built a intake/filter box that pulled air from ahead of the rad, and got IAT's right at ambient, even w/ under hoods at over 140*.
Mine was done w/ a Percy's thermocouple test kit.[2 channel].
Setting the same tests up on the LS in the TR.....
can i run that into one of my powerlogger inputs?

If your spraying alky, it wont be that hot. mount the sensor after the alky and readjust tune a little. I went from 130 temps to 50's in 80 degree weather with a front mount.

I've run that sensor to 255deg a lot with no issues. Once I started putting down some power I would hurt the element and it would read crazy. I'm guessing from the huge surge in air and hi temps. You will hurt the element before the plastic case melts

O, my fix was to usr a water temp sensor, it's slower to react but will last in a high temp Hugh surge area without damage

just ran across this thread today http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/anyone-has-1-of-these-iat.415489/#post-3437897 their are metal not plastic temp sensors at autozone,for iat

imageuploadedbyturbobuick1406649439-715770-jpg.230053

Your going to hurt the element before melting the plastic imop

im thinking,brittle plastic after 25yrs,and now its much hotter being after the turbo,and boost pressure it wasnt meant to see.couldnt hurt.