The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your asking why someone wouldn't put a set of stock heads on a TA block then build a custom turbo system to mount a T6 turbo then use nitrous to spool it? Simple answer would be because it's cheaper and easier to go faster with a set of heads and a smaller turbo using off the shelf pieces. Just look at the time you've spent making this work and it's level of complexity. Watching your video of your staging technique reminds me of watching the space shuttle ready for launch....and I think it has less timers and wiring harnesses. Switches, delay boxes, different fuel systems, an EGR system etc. No one wants the headache when going with well thought out combo doesn't need all the extra gadgets to work.
I think the real question here is, why aren't stock headed Buick V6s going faster on a more regular basis? I think there are those that would like to go fast without going to a stage setup, right? Aren't there stock head classes for the Buick V6?
Didn't Dick already prove that a 109 block could do 8s?
Well, now we know stock heads can do 8s too.

Some of you hard headed guys still don't get it. I didn't start this experiment with the target of doing deep 8s. It's just where the heads ended up taking me.
If I remember clearly, there were a lot of fellas that didn't think I would even do 9s. That group included myself. First time out with this configuration on a 1/4 mile track, 9.14. What a surprise.

Yes indeed. I think that is a very appropriate question, Dusty. Why in the world would anyone bother with trying to do 8s with a 109 block?

Hey, Flysopen. Do you think it's 'STUPID' to do 8s with a 109 block?

This is 100% correct and also completely obvious. It's a nice and long way of saying his combination is stupid.
Yes.
I can imagine you sitting in the corner of your empty room, except for your crib of course, with your plastic hammer in one hand slamming on your block set saying, "Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car." :biggrin:

You are too much fun, frybrain.
And now you're hugging... How cute.

There's one other reason why I don't think anyone would try to beat what I've done with small valves. Can anyone guess what that reason might be?

EGR? Dusty. Did you have a dream or something that I put EGR on my car?

Don't forget to answer the 109 question, too. :biggrin:

Let me ask you something, Dusty. Why would anyone bother to try and do 8s with a 109 block?

Flyboy. You can chime in with an answer too. Do you think it's Stupid to try doing 8s with a 109 block?

I'm looking forward to this answer. :biggrin:

No one tried to run 8's with a stock block. They tried to win the TSM class and that quest took them to the 8 second zone. When TSM started just a few years ago they were jumping up and down when Jason Cramer ran 9.90's with a stock block and a 70mm turbo. Now 9.90's don't get you in the top half of the field.

So when someone intends to build an 8 second car, they don't start with a stock block.

There's one other reason why I don't think anyone would try to beat what I've done with small valves. Can anyone guess what that reason might be?

I was serious when I told you to find me a set and send me a PM. I WILL spend the money on them and I WILL try them out on a 274" stage motor. I will try a 71mm and a 76mm. I bet I can get a good time with a 45-76.

I think the real question here is, why aren't stock headed Buick V6s going faster on a more regular basis? I think there are those that would like to go fast without going to a stage setup, right? Aren't there stock head classes for the Buick V6?
Didn't Dick already prove that a 109 block could do 8s?
Well, now we know stock heads can do 8s too.

There are weight breaks for using the stock iron heads in TSM but as already mentioned, they are also limited to stock blocks and turbo size.

I thought Dick made it a mission to do 8s with a stock block. Didn't he finally break into the 8s during a TnT in Arizona? Where the main mission was to simply break into the 8s with a stock block?
Who was all involved in that project?

Dusty. And what about this EGR cr*p. Where the heck did you get the idea that I put EGR on the car?

I was serious when I told you to find me a set and send me a PM. I WILL spend the money on them and I WILL try them out on a 274" stage motor. I will try a 71mm and a 76mm. I bet I can get a good time with a 45-76.
Don't wait for me to find some heads for you. I don't come across Buick stuff that often.
I wish you luck in your quest. I hope you are successful. Keep me posted on your progress. Sounds like a great goal.

There are weight breaks for using the stock iron heads in TSM but as already mentioned, they are also limited to stock blocks and turbo size.
I don't care about some freakin' TSM rules. Answer this EGR thing.
Have you just decided to resort to making cr*p up to make me look bad? Is that how it is now?
I never thought I'd see the day when Dusty would stoop so low in a malicious effort to make someone look bad. Just make stuff up.
This is a sad moment.

Does this sort of thing happen more than I think with Dusty?

I thought Dick made it a mission to do 8s with a stock block. Didn't he finally break into the 8s during a TnT in Arizona? Where the main mission was to simply break into the 8s with a stock block?
Who was all involved in that project?

He ran TSM and running at the top of the class took him near the 8's. At that point no one had ran 8's with a stock block, or even thought it was possible. So yes, he kept pushing it to be the 1st guy to do it.

I know Zimmerman built his engines, Cal tuned it, We put a converter in it.

I don't care about the TSM rules. Answer this EGR thing.
Have you just decided to resort to making cr*p up to make me look bad? Is that how it is now?
I never thought I'd see the day when Dusty would stoop so low in a malicious effort to make someone look bad.
This is a sad moment.

I for one have seen no evidence of that. An error maybe. Dusty seems like a gentleman. I am sure he is wondering how he gets sucked into this abyss too.

I could really use another set of eyes looking for the heads. You don't see them very often. If anyone is looking to sell some please chime in either here or via PM. Gonna give this a shot if I can. I just hope there is a market for them after I spend the money on berylium seats and 1.835" or whatever titanium intake valves and whatever else, another cam. Jesus, I should have my head checked. Does anyone know if these heads will hold up at 50psi?

He ran TSM and running at the top of the class took him near the 8's. At that point no one had ran 8's with a stock block, or even thought it was possible. So yes, he kept pushing it to be the 1st guy to do it.

I know Zimmerman built his engines, Cal tuned it, We put a converter in it.
Doesn't that goal sound a bit, as frybrain put it, like a 'STUPID' goal? Maybe you think it's a bit 'silly'? So many people going after a 'silly' goal?

I for one have seen no evidence of that. An error maybe. Dusty seems like a gentleman. I am sure he is wondering how he gets sucked into this abyss too.

I could really use another set of eyes looking for the heads. You don't see them very often. If anyone is looking to sell some please chime in either here or via PM. Gonna give this a shot if I can. I just hope there is a market for them after I spend the money on berylium seats and 1.835" or whatever titanium intake valves and whatever else, another cam. Jesus, I should have my head checked. Does anyone know if these heads will hold up at 50psi?
You should start your own thread so that you can get the full ridicule you're in for.

I think Dusty is capable of answering for himself. Let's hear it, Dusty. EGR!

I don't care about some freakin' TSM rules. Answer this EGR thing.
I never thought I'd see the day when Dusty would stoop so low in a malicious effort to make someone look bad. Just make stuff up.
This is a sad moment.

Look back through your thousands of posts and I'm sure you'll mention something about EGR to heat up the incoming air. Since I questioned it it's malicious and an insult....too funny. Actually it's rediculous.

With this post I am done with you. Good luck with your project.

You should start your own thread so that you can get the full ridicule you're in for.

I think Dusty is capable of answering for himself. Let's hear it, Dusty. EGR!

Are you throwing me out of your thread because I am willing to belly up to the table? You are far more childish than I thought, and I didn't give you much credit before.

I am fairly certain I will get a cheering section for it. Not because it is a good idea, but because I will run the number. On q16, with a smaller turbo, at waaaayyyyyy more psi. With an intercooler that works might I add.

Goodbye...and best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.