The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, am I that far behind the times that small turbos can now, very efficiently deliver an unlimited amount of air to an engine?

Help me here, guys. I guess I'm a little lost. You guys been keeping secrets from me?

Well since you brought it up the 71mm cars make as much power as your 91mm but without that highly efficient top end charge. I am absolutely sure you will try to twist my words and not read what they are saying, and yet I am getting sucked into the discussion like a black hole. Nothing is unlimited, every part has it's limitations and every person has to think about the limitations of each part and put them together to run as good as possible.
The reason a turbo is a better way to limit a class is because you can build many different combinations and the turbo will limit them all in a relatively close power range depending on engine size and efficiency. If you run a turbo that will make enough air to support 1200 hp, most guys can reach that goal, some at 18psi and some at 38psi, doesn't matter. Obviously there will be a perfect combo for that turbo and the guy who builds it will be the one to beat. But if you have 50 cubes more or less or the wrong heads etc., you could still give him hell.
Heads and valve size are a lousy way to limit a class because you just turn up the boost and push it in and out. Will it be as efficient, no. Will it be somewhat close in power, I believe so. I think your car should run into the sevens when you finally find the magic track that can handle all that power. I would be embarrased if it didn't get a seven.
You can't get your car to go straigt down the track with 900 rwhp but expect us to believe you have engineered a pressure pulse tuned exhaust that makes extra super duper power. I call B.S. bro. PM me if you know of a set of heads similar to yours, I will bolt them on and run them with a HPQ 71 and post up time slips. I will start my own thread about the results so I don't get admonished for bragging here.

I know Otto, Bison, and Cal must have tuned on plenty of cars that only had 1.83, 1.5 valves. Their customers know who they are.
Dusty. You're showing me a very few examples of people that chose to go the easy route and play it safe by going with larger valves. I'm asking for examples of performances that include 1.83, 1.5 valves. Dont' try to tell me there isn't anyone out there with small valved heads.

If my customers choose to get involved with your rhertoric, more power to them. I asked Kevin this several pages ago:

(snip)He posted several times in this thread asking "why". A few "fools" offered opinions in an attempt to help him. Are you saying this thread was just a ruse and he really came here to boast about his combination and enlighten us?

Just like you with your original question, there's no need to answer, I knew it all along. I just wasted 30 minutes of my life reading your recent posts. I am out of here.

Well since you brought it up the 71mm cars make as much power as your 91mm but without that highly efficient top end charge. I am absolutely sure you will try to twist my words and not read what they are saying, and yet I am getting sucked into the discussion like a black hole. Nothing is unlimited, every part has it's limitations and every person has to think about the limitations of each part and put them together to run as good as possible.
The reason a turbo is a better way to limit a class is because you can build many different combinations and the turbo will limit them all in a relatively close power range depending on engine size and efficiency. If you run a turbo that will make enough air to support 1200 hp, most guys can reach that goal, some at 18psi and some at 38psi, doesn't matter. Obviously there will be a perfect combo for that turbo and the guy who builds it will be the one to beat. But if you have 50 cubes more or less or the wrong heads etc., you could still give him hell.
Heads and valve size are a lousy way to limit a class because you just turn up the boost and push it in and out. Will it be as efficient, no. Will it be somewhat close in power, I believe so. I think your car should run into the sevens when you finally find the magic track that can handle all that power. I would be embarrased if it didn't get a seven.
You can't get your car to go straigt down the track with 900 rwhp but expect us to believe you have engineered a pressure pulse tuned exhaust that makes extra super duper power. I call B.S. bro. PM me if you know of a set of heads similar to yours, I will bolt them on and run them with a HPQ 71 and post up time slips. I will start my own thread about the results so I don't get admonished for bragging here.
Not saying it's 'super duper power'. Very simply, just more power than you'd have by not doing pressure pulse tuning. :biggrin:

Anyone is welcome to throw out a shout for their combination. That has never bothered me before, and it still doesn't bother me. I was just trying to bring Dusty back down to earth a little. He was getting a little carried away with it. ;)

If my customers choose to get involved with your rhertoric, more power to them. I asked Kevin this several pages ago:

Just like you with your original question, there's no need to answer, I knew it all along. I just wasted 30 minutes of my life reading your recent posts. I am out of here.
LOL! See ya.
I should add something. Kevin has proved to me that he is most likely THE person that understands my combination the best, and understands what I was trying to accomplish. Big Kudos to Kevin, and thanks for your insightful advice.

HighPSI;2907161 Just like you with your original question said:
Cal,
You should never argue with an idiot because they will just drag you down to their level.......then beat you with experiance !!!!!

DonWG;2907165 I should add something. Kevin has proved to me that he is most likely THE person that understands my combination the best said:
Don,
When only the nuts are left in the loony-bin,the most ridiculous conversations can start to appear sane.

I told myself that I wouldn't get involved but here I go....

I stated in my dyno post that you can't achieve lower cylinder pressure at TDC than exhaust back pressure. Don is convinced that his magical pulse tuning that he knows nothing about is contributing to his magical, impossible performance. I also backed up my statement by saying that my 10 years working for a company with unlimited resources, scientist and simulation software and never seen this magical phenomenon Don claims to have such a great handle on. When I expressed my opinion, it appeared that more effort was placed on discrediting my experience instead of understanding it. Another example of your arrogance and your lack of ability to accept others input. Your loss…..

It was obvious from the start of this thread that it was not a legit question to how he can obtain his performance with his combination but an obvious agenda leading up to this pulse tuning climax crap. I don’t see any content here that have a genuine cause to help someone with their build as you would claim.

What do I know, just one of those “fools” that built his own engine using nothing more than my head on my shoulders, making some educated guesses with no fancy software and still managed 900+ hp out of my junk. Oh ya, must be that magical stage 2 head thing….

Cal,
You should never argue with an idiot because they will just drag you down to their level.......then beat you with experiance !!!!!

Don,
When only the nuts are left in the loony-bin,the most ridiculous conversations can start to appear sane.

Did you put your "Big Boy" pants on to come up with those lines? your a funny guy.......in a "Special" kind of way.
By the way,...how fast was that short bus you rode in to school with all the other little race car drivers wearing those cute helmets?
The rest of us always did have to "Yield" to your greatness, :wink:

Kevin.

Did you put your "Big Boy" pants on to come up with those lines? your a funny guy.......in a "Special" kind of way.
By the way,...how fast was that short bus you rode in to school with all the other little race car drivers wearing those cute helmets?
The rest of us always did have to "Yield" to your greatness, :wink:
Kevin.

Kevin,
That was good.... also good to see that your spelling has improved.The time you spent away DID you some good.

Oh oh. Is Dusty giving up top secret information?

LOL. I have no idea what turbo is legal in the class or what any racers use. They are limited to a 76mm but I'm not sure on the turbine requirements. I handle the converter, everything else is up to them. I was being generous to you as to what turbo I would try on your combo.....if you wanted to see if you can duplicate et's by the class racers. I'm confident you won't be able to swap to a smaller turbo and go faster because your backpressure will come up.

Some of us try to keep you in check. As Charlie Murphy would say. "Your a habitual line stepper":D

This thread is dumb, the OP's combination is dumb, and my grandmother's wheelchair would run high 8s with a 91mm turbo, nitrous, and W tires.

:cool: Lools like I really rattled some cages.

turbo bitt. On the thread you started, I decided to have the courtesy to keep my opinion of your creations performance to myself. But, since you have graciously decided to visit here and give me a piece of your mind, let me go ahead and give you a piece of mine.
If I had put together a combo that revolved around a set of Stage II heads and that was what she did on the dyno,...
Nevermind. I'm sure you'll get it figured out after awhile. Good luck with your project.

Not saying it's 'super duper power'. Very simply, just more power than you'd have by not doing pressure pulse tuning. :biggrin:

I find it funny that you are so damn smart that you can accomplish "pressure pulse tuning", yet you still have the slowest car on the planet with a 91mm turbo.

It's also funny that you're so smart that you started a thread to show how smart you are, but you clearly don't even know how to choose the proper parts when building a race car.

:cool: Lools like I really rattled some cages.

turbo bitt. On the thread you started, I decided to have the courtesy to keep my opinion of your creations performance to myself.

No cages rattled here. I have never put any doubt on your performance potential. Just question your reasoning and your method of proving yourself at the expense of discrediting others. You have an obvious talent for fabrication, tuning and building, should devote more energy to that and let the product speak for itself. Would like to see more of what it can do and see less of why you need to throw it back into everyones faces. Please take this in a positive constructive way and not intended to be a slam against you.

BTW - With regards to my build, I could give your famous canned response and say look back at my post and see what my goals were. For a reliable street car, I don't think I did all that bad for my first Stage 2 build. Did I mention that I had this motor for over 10 years, in the car, never having to do anything to it until I decided to freshen it up ?

1.835" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves. How is this possible? :confused:
Looking for answers.

True meaning=

My car is awesome.
How can it be more awesome?
Did I tell that my car is awesome?
Let me tell you my car is awesome
Im not sure....no wait.....yeah...... my car is awesome.
My car is awesome.
No your wrong....my car is awesome.
I created awesome with lil small awesome.
My car pulses awesomely.
I tuned awesome...spray awesome and are awesome.
Instead of bantering how more awesome my awesome can be......remind me my car is awesome...no wait ill tell you...my car is awesome?
My car is awesome and pulsed awesomely with small awesome.
Dont try to figure out my awesome, cause I created awesome and my car is awesome...you cant see my awesome from your lowly unawesomeness.

HA HA

No, the original poster just wants answers!

The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...1.835" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves. How is this possible? :confused:
Looking for answers.

Here is your one and only answer to this great question:

Everyone else who is building an 8 second GN is better at choosing parts than you are, so nobody else has to ask how they go SO fast IN SPITE of the dumb choices they've made.

No cages rattled here. I have never put any doubt on your performance potential. Just question your reasoning and your method of proving yourself at the expense of discrediting others. You have an obvious talent for fabrication, tuning and building, should devote more energy to that and let the product speak for itself. Would like to see more of what it can do and see less of why you need to throw it back into everyones faces. Please take this in a positive constructive way and not intended to be a slam against you.

BTW - With regards to my build, I could give your famous canned response and say look back at my post and see what my goals were. For a reliable street car, I don't think I did all that bad for my first Stage 2 build. Did I mention that I had this motor for over 10 years, in the car, never having to do anything to it until I decided to freshen it up ?

This is the funny part. I don't recall ever directly criticising another persons build in a mean spirited manner. Ever. I'm sure I might have offered some constructive criticism, maybe. Don't really remember even doing much of that. I do know I have done a lot of encouragement. One thing is for sure, I have had to vigorously defend my project for about a decade now, if not more. And, defended it against, what I'd call, very mean spirited criticism. Some people, particularly the experts here, down playing my achievements, making a laughing stalk out of my work. That might have really discouraged and bothered a lot of people if they were in my spot. Not me. I could see what the project was capable of very soon after some of the first testing with the car. If anything, I felt only frustration that other people couldn't see the potential of what I was seeing with this project.
My very first time out to a 1/4 track with this engine configuration yielded a 9.10s run. Let's take a look at that.

Car weight at that time was lighter. 12 gallons less onboard fuel (methanol), and a lighter turbo (T76). 22 psi boost. If we use Kevin's calculator, what does that give us for rwhp?
6.7 lbs x 12 = 80.4 lbs less weight from the fuel.
The weight difference between the T76 and the FI91X turbo, we'll be conservative and just say 20 lbs.
3290 -100 = 3190 lbs. was the weight of the car back then.
Calculating the hp for a 9.14 @ 145 mph run in the 1/4 for a 3190 lb. car gives us a rwhp of 760.
If we calculate for a drivetrain loss of 15%, which is the very least we would expect, we get 894 bhp.
That is 100-200 hp more than I had expected with the car. I was very surprised. Much the same way John was, I'm sure, with what he's done with his stock headed engine. And, at a heavier weight. A lot of cylinder pressure going on there.

Fast forward to present. My cars performance is now about 1000 rwhp. I think we can all agree with that.
The difference between that first time out with the car and today is 240 whp and 286 bhp. Let's not forget that the car is now 100 lbs heavier, too. Those hp differences came about from changing the turbo from a T76 to a T6 91mm. Just peanuts, right?
How much of that difference is just the reduction of backpressure, and how much can be attributed to some level of pressure pulse tuning made more effective by the reduction of exhaust backpressure? We may never know the answer to that, but I think a power increase of that percentage level warrants further investigation.
That's about a 25% increase in brake horsepower. To me, that's extraordinary. To most others, it seems easily dismissed, by what I gather on this thread.

True meaning=

My car is awesome.
How can it be more awesome?
Did I tell that my car is awesome?
Let me tell you my car is awesome
Im not sure....no wait.....yeah...... my car is awesome.
My car is awesome.
No your wrong....my car is awesome.
I created awesome with lil small awesome.
My car pulses awesomely.
I tuned awesome...spray awesome and are awesome.
Instead of bantering how more awesome my awesome can be......remind me my car is awesome...no wait ill tell you...my car is awesome?
My car is awesome and pulsed awesomely with small awesome.
Dont try to figure out my awesome, cause I created awesome and my car is awesome...you cant see my awesome from your lowly unawesomeness.

HA HA

I have to clean my monitor and keyboard from spitting up my chiken noodle soup. :D I think I had some shooting out my nose.

Allan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.