The Fuel Pump gods have spoken

ITSNOTAGN

Shadow Master
so i was cruisin the interweb today looking at how im going to set up a fuel system using intank pumps. This has to be capable of at least 800whp with my car. I know a single walbro 255 is good to about 600whp, as i have ran mine dry already. Anyway i come across this
http://www.modularpowerhouse.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22072&d=1153328533
Ford GT fuel pumps, availible right at your local dealer, for $95.
guess what, at 43.5 psi, a walbro flows about 255lph
Ford GT pump, 43.5 psi, 12.6volts flows, get this
429 lph!!!
so in reality one of these pumps should do an easy 850whp on its own. And one of these pumps flow almost as much as dual walbros, kinda hard to beleive huh! This is a really big breakthrough, and it looks like they are smaller than a walbro to boot. Dual intanks are said to need to be on a hobbs switch or they will pump way too much fuel. Also they are designed to be a variable voltage pump, and work awesome with a pump controller.
Gary

Gary,

This is great news, is this a bolt in type deal.
I will swap this out with my walbro when it dies.

That's a lotta bang for the $$. My only concern is that the regulator/return system can handle the additional supply during idle/low flow conditions. I know if I jump the second pump of my double pumper on at idle my FP jumps a good 8-10 psi.

while its not a complete bolt in, but it is just a hose barb like anything else. Also it uses regular spade connectors so wiring is a snap. It seems to be shorter than a walbro, so a new chunk of hose and zip-tie it to the hanger, thats how mine is on there anyway.
And with the volume issue, thats something youll have to figure out on your own. I dont have to worry as i use a completely new system and remote regulator. In fact, i can regulate my single walbro down to 3psi ;)
Another tidbit of info, these pumps are designed in the Ford GT as variable displacement. The GT uses basically a Boost-a-Pump right from the factory. At peak this is set to go to 17.5 volts, where the pump is supposed to break the 500lph area. So, whoever tries it first post it up for sure. A single, quiet, intank pump with the addition of a Boost-a-pump would completely outflow a set of dual walbros, and should go up toward 1000whp, that is just insanity.

Another thing i just remembered. On the Ford GT, they mod the controller for full 17.5 volts, and those guys have been up over 750whp with this pump, completely stock fuel system. So i dont think its BS at all.
Gary

A little more info. Twin pumps will go to about 800-850whp on their own. To run a Boost-a-pump, you would need 2 because of the amperage draw. KB is coming out with a new BAP to support this soon though. And i have been assured that 2 pumps with a BAP will crack the 1000whp barrier pretty easy.

Have you seen any flow versus pressure curves? I just want to be sure they are still doing well up at 70-80 psi, 43 psi base plus 25 psi boost is 68 psi pump outlet pressure. Any idea where the bypass opens at? Sounds like a great find.

I believe that is a twin pump system in the GT, so that flow is for two pumps. I know one of my friends uses those pumps in some Mustang projects because the Walbro does not like the low voltage from the voltage controller they use and they fail. He gets about the same HP from those as 255 Walbro. I will check with him on what he is doing for sure
Mike

the pressure curve for them is listed in the link in the first post. Just scroll down and youll see it. You guys need to really look at the data in the link i posted. Also these pumps are made by walbro for ford, its stamped right on em.
The first set of data, is the GT40 single pump. The green box on the top is working pressure of one pump, here ill even do the math for you.
Pressure/One Pump/Two Pumps
0/562LPH/1123Lph
10/523Lph/1026Lph
20/492Lph/984Lph
30/464Lph/967Lph
40/436Lph/871Lph
50/418Lph/835Lph
60/381Lph/762Lph
70/353Lph/706Lph
80/325Lph/649Lph
90/294Lph/587lph

Twin Walbro 255s Only info i have is working pressure, same as highlighted above
Pressure/Two pumps (Lph)
40/434Lph
60/370Lph
80/286Lph

So as you can see, a single GT pump will outflow twin 255s at any pressure, and twins are just silly. At 80psi it is still flowing 649Lph, thats over 2 times the volume of twin 255s! I have personally saw a dyno graph using two GT pumps go over 800whp through a stalled automatic and a 9", i just didnt know it at the time. I would venture to guess that pull would have been 900+whp through a stick
Gary

i had it zoomed in. dont tell me you cant see the plain as day line graph that details 4 different pump setups. Reading comprehension people, its a spreadsheet, not too tough.

BTW, the twin SVT focus pumps are regular walbro 255s
Gary

I hate to bust the bubble but here is what I got back from my friend at Walbro who is the application engineer:

Mike,
Our F10000128 is the Ford GT pump. It is stamped F10000128 and 4G7V-9350-CA on the side. The flow curve is attached with a F10000169 for reference (both curves are 10 pump averages). Not the performance shown in the link. If we had a 37mm turbine pump that flowed 100 gph at 60 psi and 12.6 volts and only required a part number change to release in the aftermarket your shelves would be stocked. Also the F10000128 has no check valve and no pressure relief valve.

Application Engineer
TI Automotive Aftermarket

the F10000169 is the pump we sell for the GN

You know what they say about things that sound to good to be true,

Mike

Attachments

• F10000128.pdf
    13.1 KB · Views: 253
  • F20000169.pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 279
very good job mike, its nice to have people on the "inside", lol.
Since those are factory graphs, i can trust those. This does look very promising though as the GT pump flows a ton more fuel at high pressures. I think you should consider marketing this pump to us mike. For those of us running up toward 30psi (75psi fuel press) or people like me who run high base pressures it would be a huge benefit. I for one run a 60psi base pressure (i only run up to about 13psi boost) to push the 65# injectors harder, and i could gain a good amount of volume by running these pumps into the 70-80psi region.
Gary

I heard a while back that walboro was making a single pump for LS cars that would do what our double pumpers do. That it might possibly work on a TR. Any body else heard this?

very good job mike, its nice to have people on the "inside", lol.
Since those are factory graphs, i can trust those. This does look very promising though as the GT pump flows a ton more fuel at high pressures. I think you should consider marketing this pump to us mike. For those of us running up toward 30psi (75psi fuel press) or people like me who run high base pressures it would be a huge benefit. I for one run a 60psi base pressure (i only run up to about 13psi boost) to push the 65# injectors harder, and i could gain a good amount of volume by running these pumps into the 70-80psi region.
Gary

This GT pump actually flows less at those pressures than the one we sell, the trick is that the overpressure valve is open. A trick many have used for years is to tap down the cup plug that holds the spring in to stop it from opening. This improves the pump output at high pressure, it also increses current draw and reduces the life of the pump. There is a safety concern as well since if the fuel line was to get get crimped in an accident it would just keep building pressure until a rubber line lets go.
Mike

I heard a while back that walboro was making a single pump for LS cars that would do what our double pumpers do. That it might possibly work on a TR. Any body else heard this?

That is actually true, it is the ZO6 pump and it is 300LPH or so. It will be worked into the aftermarket some day but not any time soon there is a few issues to fix first
Mike