The dreaded cat

turbopete

Tug Driver
I need some exhaust work done, but the exhaust guys won't touch it because the car has a test pipe.
Anyone running a Kirban high flow cat?
If there was a dead cat (so to speak) lying in the exhaust junk pile, I could just punch the guts out of it and weld it up. If only I could weld...

Other options I haven't thought of?

Here in Ca we have very strict laws and the exhaust guys I always seem to find have no problems with no cat. However, I have a high flow cat for my larger exhaust just because I can't always run without here.

I bought one from Cotton's, he cut it to length for me. I don't know what dp you're running, but however long the test pipe, you can order a cat that length. You basically need to measure the distance from end of downpipe to the cat-back 4 bolt flange. If your test pipe is welded I'd cut it myself, remove, and buy a cat.

Yes you can gut a cat for looks, but smog places tap and inspect them.

I'd find a cooler, local, good exhaust guy!

I need some exhaust work done, but the exhaust guys won't touch it because the car has a test pipe.
Anyone running a Kirban high flow cat?
If there was a dead cat (so to speak) lying in the exhaust junk pile, I could just punch the guts out of it and weld it up. If only I could weld...

Other options I haven't thought of?

Borrow a stock cat and throw it on then remove it and go back to the test pipe when the ex is done. Wtf do they care? They wouldnt be replacing the area where its not road legal anyway.

Update

The speed shop recommended a guy on the other side of town. Went to visit this morning. No go. He won't touch it. If the boss finds out, he is fired. Can't blame him for protecting his paycheck.
Ordered a Kirban hi-flow cat.

The draw back is that if a shop is caught working on a car that has one removed, and get caught by the feds, they have a search done through the paper work to find out how many cats have been removed and then get fined $25K for each one. I've only seen it done once but the old man was just about to retire and lost everything instead. That's why some places won't touch a car that's had the cat removed.

The draw back is that if a shop is caught working on a car that has one removed, and get caught by the feds, they have a search done through the paper work to find out how many cats have been removed and then get fined $25K for each one. I've only seen it done once but the old man was just about to retire and lost everything instead. That's why some places won't touch a car that's had the cat removed.

Could you post the law(s) surrounding "working on a car with no cat/tampered with cat? I cant believe they can prosecute someone for working on a car without one unless they were the one that removed it and then how would they prosecute unless they could prove the shop removed it? These cars are 25 yyears old and have had so many people working on them over the years i dont see how any of this is possible. What if the car was not registered? How does that apply. Its not for highway use. Too many open ends here.

Could you post the law(s) surrounding "working on a car with no cat/tampered with cat? I cant believe they can prosecute someone for working on a car without one unless they were the one that removed it and then how would they prosecute unless they could prove the shop removed it? These cars are 25 yyears old and have had so many people working on them over the years i dont see how any of this is possible. What if the car was not registered? How does that apply. Its not for highway use. Too many open ends here.

This happened in Woodbury TN several years ago. 2000 if I remember right. The federal law is that no emission equipment may be removed. The cat is an emissions part and the feds will procecute. Some shops mark the bill as "exhaust repair" and end up with extra cats laying around. They're required to keep the cats for a period of time (with paper work attached) but I don't remember how long. If someone calls the feds they'll investigate. It's a $25K reward if your info results in a conviction. If they're investigating and see a known car that should have a cat on it and it doesn't they'll presume that the mod was done there and that's all they need. Very rare but it does happen.

If it were me...

Doing the work on the car, I would do what it took to keep my job. If that means telling a potential customer "no", then so be it. Got bills to pay, and tough to find a new job, as we know. Not to mention fines and all that mess.

I can't believe that a high flow cat instead of a test pipe would make any difference in my application.

Call Jack with the lenght you want and he will get you you taken care of. I just ordered a 3" cat 2wks ago for my 3.5 " downpipe. They Worked it up for me to 12 inches, direct fit and bolt on. Dropped in TT emissions chip, fuel pressure to 38 and it passed the first time. Pulled it off and put back on test pipe, Until next year!

I worked for Midas for a while and if a car came in without a cat we were allowed to replace from the cat back without any problems. As long as we did not remove the cat there we were ok.The exhaust system behind the cat is not an emission control

You could have gotten a universal HI flow cat, Like dynomax(walker) super cat. Took it to a welder,along with your Test pipe have him cut your test pipe out, weld the new HI flow cat in it's place, then just bolt it up yourself. bit cheaper, or you could have gone this route. DSM Intercooler Piping welded this in place of your test pipe. Tho, its best that you got yourself a real CAT, better all around :cool:

The plan

The cat arrived today. It is a Dynomax unit with the flange welded on. Length is about the same as the test pipe.
The plan is to put the cat on it, have the o2 bung put in for the wideband, and the pipes over the back axle changed/moved so they wont hit any more.
I am going to have the cat/test pipe set up with a flare and clamp so I can change it if I want without going back to the exhaust guy.

Should work out great, and legal, for now.

Plan C

Or, you could always go to plan "C".

For a stealth set up:

Just need to figure out the OAL and have a flange welded on one end.

Attachments

• 3in AllFlow Non Catalytic Converter.jpg
    3in AllFlow Non Catalytic Converter.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 271
This happened in Woodbury TN several years ago. 2000 if I remember right. The federal law is that no emission equipment may be removed. The cat is an emissions part and the feds will procecute. Some shops mark the bill as "exhaust repair" and end up with extra cats laying around. They're required to keep the cats for a period of time (with paper work attached) but I don't remember how long. If someone calls the feds they'll investigate. It's a $25K reward if your info results in a conviction. If they're investigating and see a known car that should have a cat on it and it doesn't they'll presume that the mod was done there and that's all they need. Very rare but it does happen.
Its only illegal to remove emissions equipment and use the vehicle on public highways. Removing it itself is not illegal. This still shouldnt mean anything if a prior shop or the owner removed it since they are not the ones doing it. Id believe a shop may have been investigated because they were removing cat converters while they were still good but It would be very hard for a fed court to prosecute someone for it without strong evidence especially since these cars are so old. Any good lawyer would walk all over here say. It takes good evidence to convict.

Well, it's done.

Put in the cat and the O2 bung. Did not have enough room to make a flange to easily remove the cat and reinstall the test pipe (without disassembling more piping). No matter... I don't notice any decrease in power or throttle response with the hi-flow cat installed.
I really like plan c. Maybe in the future.

Now, on to the tb.com Nationals for a new stereo system by Gary K, and some time with the Chief Engineer, TurboBob.

Thanks for the advice. Learned some more stuff.

You could have gotten a universal HI flow cat, Like dynomax(walker) super cat. Took it to a welder,along with your Test pipe have him cut your test pipe out, weld the new HI flow cat in it's place, then just bolt it up yourself. bit cheaper, or you could have gone this route. DSM Intercooler Piping welded this in place of your test pipe. Tho, its best that you got yourself a real CAT, better all around :cool:

Thats what I did.. Now New Hampshire could give a FCK about emissions 20 years out.. Wasted money on a Magna flow.. But have a test pipe. Plenty of guys can make you a test pipe they just cant install it.

Thats what I did.. Now New Hampshire could give a FCK about emissions 20 years out.. Wasted money on a Magna flow.. But have a test pipe. Plenty of guys can make you a test pipe they just cant install it.

I think will still need a cat on the car. Did this just change?