the car is overheating bad.

ll3lue

i have my fan running on High Constantly...but the car is still over heating..im sayin high like 230+...what is goin on? i just had the radiator recored like 2 months ago..what are some thigns i need to check..because its not the fan because its running on high at all times..any ideas of what it could be?? :confused: :confused:

Water pump, and thermostat are things to check. Make sure that the hose to the water pump is good too, and not sucking its self closed.

Ben

Momar said:
Water pump, and thermostat are things to check. Make sure that the hose to the water pump is good too, and not sucking its self closed.

Ben
whats the best way to check those?

with engine cold take off the radiator cap and then start it up when temp comes the thermostat should open and you should see coolant flowing thru your radiator. If not then replace thermostat (cheap and easy). Another way is to just remove the thermostat and reconnect everything and see if the water is flowing thru the radiator. If is is not then the pump is probaly bad.

Or you could take the thermostat out and put it in hot hot water to see if it opens. I hope your not driving when its 230+ thats cuttting it close.

sorry for the stupid question but where exactly is the thermostat located on an 87GN and whats the best way to take it out?

follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine block and you will see a coupling from the block to the hose. if i remember it looks like a claw foot. take of hose. and remove thermostat

I don't have an 87 GN, but if I remember right the thermostat is in the front of the intake manifold, (behind the therm housing...) that the upper hose attaches to. HTH

Squid

hm i drained a little coolant out an kept the cap off so i could see inside the rad. (to where i could see about 2 bare rows) when i let it warm up the coolant didn't do anything then it hovered around 190 and once it was at 193 for a lil while..the coolant level dropped ( about a row and a half or a lil more)...so i wonder if the thermo is jus sticking a lil or just not opening all the way up..what would this mean?

also when they say bubbles in your coolant how big do they mean? with the rad cap off and the coolant a little low once it started to warm up there would be a little bit of foam but not any real bubbles..and there's never bubbles in the overflow tank..

i ordered a 160* thermostat from summit so hopefully that comes in soon...what do you think my problem is?

also there is no dissappearing coolant.

You didn't have to order the thermostat from Summit.....You could of just about gotten one from anywhere that sells auto parts. Buy a 160 and put it in....they are cheap enough. If your problem persists, check for collapsed hoses as said above. If you have the old thermostat out and everything hooked back up.....you should see the coolant circulating. If not, I would suspect a bad water pump also. Not a hard job to replace....just a little time consuming.

Fakeyankee said:
You didn't have to order the thermostat from Summit.....You could of just about gotten one from anywhere that sells auto parts. Buy a 160 and put it in....they are cheap enough. If your problem persists, check for collapsed hoses as said above. If you have the old thermostat out and everything hooked back up.....you should see the coolant circulating. If not, I would suspect a bad water pump also. Not a hard job to replace....just a little time consuming.

the reason i ordered from summit was because it was free, because they gave me free 20 bucks awhile back so i decided i'd use it...i dont think the hoses are collapsed because they seem to be in good condition and the bottom one does have the spring in it to keep it open....

the thermostat looks like its pretty hard to get to, and i read that your gonna have to break the housing and all this crazy stuff to get to it, is that true?? :confused:

No, it's not that bad...just a tight area to work in. The problem with the thermostat housings is that they tend to become brittle with age. The housing is held on by a flange with a bolt. Once you get the hoses and bolt, flange off...use a very thin putty knife to get between the housing and the base. Take your time and you will do good !!

Fakeyankee said:
No, it's not that bad...just a tight area to work in. The problem with the thermostat housings is that they tend to become brittle with age. The housing is held on by a flange with a bolt. Once you get the hoses and bolt, flange off...use a very thin putty knife to get between the housing and the base. Take your time and you will do good !!

i think my thermostat is working, because i let the car idle with the AC on high til the temp hit 210 then i shut it off...then i sprayed the radiator with some cool water to cool it down..started the car back up an revved the engine a little bit and the temp shot down to 190 real fast..wouldn't that mean that the thermostat is opening and the water pump is working?? :confused:

87GN_70GS said:
What did you have it recored with?

the guy i bought it from had it recored and i have the reciept for it...it costed him a total of 265 bucks to do it..and it just says rad repair recore/rad $250..so, i dont know what they did..is there a way to tell if the radiator is flowing properly? like taking off the bottom hose and running water through it to see how it flows through??

On a aside if you change to 160 stat make sure your chip is burned for it or you'll have more probs.

Duff73 said:
On a aside if you change to 160 stat make sure your chip is burned for it or you'll have more probs.

how do you tell what chip you have or if its burned for a 160 degree thermo?

Generally the fan will turn on around 175 if the chip is set up for a 160 thermo.

This could be a head gasket problem, check your oil and exhaust for any discoloring. Do a compression test just to make sure.

By the way, $260 for a rad recore is way to pricey. Got mine done for $120 locally.

DR.BOOSTER said:
Generally the fan will turn on around 175 if the chip is set up for a 160 thermo.

This could be a head gasket problem, check your oil and exhaust for any discoloring. Do a compression test just to make sure.

By the way, $260 for a rad recore is way to pricey. Got mine done for $120 locally.

oil looks extremely clean and exhuast looks like well nothing no color at all lol...

i dont think its a headgasket, the car runs like a champ and there are really no signs of a blown headgasket..i'm gonna see if KDK performance would do a free diagnose and let me know if its the thermostat or a water pump or a the rad or even a HG...