"THE" Alky chip?

GN HEAD

It's All About DA BOOST
First off, sorry for the long post, I just want to get all the important info on here the first time so I can get an accurate, quick response.
I am looking to change my chip, my setup is a stock short block except for the cam, it is a Weber Racing grind-Comp Cams 206/206, with new valve springs and lifters. TE44 and blue tops, Dutweiller modified neck stock intercooler, adj. fuel pressure regulator, Houston downpipe, SCM Alky-single nozle set up, R/A XP fuel pump, stock torque convertor and built tranny, volt booster... Last summer I changed to a Thrasher 92 chip and I really liked how fast it made the '44 spool. I am lookig for a more agressive chip, or a chip more specific to the alky. With the Thrasher 92 chip and 93 octane, the car went 12.50 @ 110 mph and very little track time.....I had more boost to play with and it was running rich when I ran out of race season. My goal is 11s, and I think this setup would fall short. I am looking at the Extender chip, LT1 MAF sensor and Translator +..... or the Max Effort chip. I am wondering about a Lubrant chip or a Testa chip. Any opinions on this.....either one, or another option? Let's hear it.

In my opinion....

The best set-up for mostly street / occasional strip car is the Trans+/ LS1 MAF / Extender chip.

With a scan tool, you can tune your car for whatever conditions you may have. Race gas / pump gas / alcohol injection / summer / winter / street / race / fuel economy / etc.

If you're wanting 11's you'll probably have to loose the blue tops and go for some 009's or 50's. High 11's possibly, but you'll be pushing the envelope. The extra fuel from the alcy will help though.

John

GN head,

My car is/was similar in setup to your car for a long while. I use a MaxEffort chip and like the flexibility it provides. Basically I think either a Translator setup or a MaxE setup are going to give you the results you want with the flexibility to tune the chip for alky injection. You could also stay with the thrasher, or other standard chip, but once you burn one of those chips you're pretty much locked in until you burn another. Thats where the MaxE or Trans+ setups are a lot more handy.

I have only used the 16 position MaxE myself. Its an open loop chip. WOT fuel and a simple timing change can be adjusted on the fly - About a dozen other fueling parameters can be adjusted when the car is stopped. My sense is the Trans+ has more timing adjustments.

There's lots of people in the OK city area who you can talk to. I'm not sure if Steve Monroe runs a MaxE or not..

Hope this helps

Any other input on the Translator + setup? Good or bad. Is the tunability really needed with the alky?

My combo is similar to yours and I have run high (11.9x) 11's with lousy 60' time (1.8x) @ 116-117 mph with alcohol + 93 octane. I only have the Translator, not plus.

Sig below with Thrasher 92 and alky..

Thrasher locks the blms at WOT..turn the pump speed to max..and adjust FP for correect O2's

With alky ya want low timing and high boost..low timing makes it detonation resistant..and the alky will quench the octane..

Your real problem is running out of injector..be looking for some 50's.

Razor---How much boost are you running and what is the Thrasher timing? What is your combo? Thanks.

PT51,MSD50's,160stat,THDP,SMC alky kit,LT1 springs,Thrasher92 for 50s,protorque converter 12 inch,RJC PP,25 lbs boost,walbro307

Stock ic,stock TB and plenum,stock cam,stock heads,motor has never been opened cept to install valvesprings and thermostat.

Thrasher 92 timing is approx 19-20 degrees at WOT from research gathered.

Probably missing a little this and that..

Thanks Razor. Maybe I need to have timing taken out of my 23* chip and run more boost. You have a nice set up and a great running car.

No problem ;)

I had same thought as yourself..been there :D

try a low timing chip and see how the car responds..at worse it will perform the same at a lb of boost more..but will detonate less. Which is key to longetivity.

More alky..less fuel pressure..more boost..less timing..= :D

Extender/Translator and MaxEffort are excellent alchy tuning chips. Key is being able to find tune the fueling and timing exactly to YOUR car by being able to experiment. These setups give you that ability easily without having to get your chip updated a million times.

I have comments on my alchy tuning here with the Translator/Extender setup. Highly recommend for optimal performance with pump gas and alchy.

http://midwestracing.hostin.com/alcohol.htm