The 1,000,000th question about oil on here.

Turbodan

I am sure this questions comes up alot on here. What is everyone using for oil? Full Synthetic? Brand? Someone told me they like the durablend better than full synthetic.

You aren't looking for the "right" answer are you? You will hear both sides. I personally have used only conventional oil thus far. As I get a few more miles on my newly rebuilt engine, I may try synthetic or go 50/50 conventional synthetic/regular. I suppose the downside to synthetic would be higher cost and more chance of engine leak.

Oil

I heard full synthetic causes oil leaks also. Wasn't sure that was true. What weight oil is everyone using?

I'm gonna be the "search nazi" here. Seriously, if you know its the 1,000,000th oil question why not do a search? Its been discussed to death, theres enough info to read on until you croak.

turbosam6 said:
I'm gonna be the "search nazi" here. Seriously, if you know its the 1,000,000th oil question why not do a search? Its been discussed to death, theres enough info to read on until you croak.
:)

turbosam6 said:
:cool:

Oil

I just picked up a 87 T-Type. I had a 89 TTA about 4 years ago. I was just wondering if anything has changed since. ANy new oils that have been used and found to be better. I guess we can all search for a topic that way there will be no more new posts on here.

The rear main leak I have didnt get any worse after going to synthetic. Run a good synthetic 20w50 and you should be fine. I ran royal purple in my cobra for 5 years, and I beat the hell out of that thing. Regularly shifting at 7500, powershifting...doing this while the engine was still cold sometimes. I threw a blower on for awhile, making 500rwhp on a stock bottom end, and nothing bad ever happened. Compression tested great before I sold it. I also only changed the oil every 8000 miles with no filter change in those 8000 miles.

My intention isn't to prevent new posts, rather to inform you that you don't have to wait for us to respond because its all been covered. I know when I want info I want it now, not when someone gets around to it. Plus, most of the members here won't reply to basic thread like this since it has been beat to death so many times in the past. Understand?

FWIW, oil condition is more important than oil type. I run regular dino oil and change it frequently. Running high boost causes more blow-by, and thus fuel contamination. Basically fresh clean dino oil is better than expensive synthetic with 4000 miles on it in these cars.

I've consulted with several well respected builders and not one has recommended synthetic. Like I said, do a search and read to your hearts content, you'll find tons of info to drive you nuts!

Personally I love the way the synthetic will help pervent coking, the frictionless enviroment being better than dino-oil in most aspects unless it was the leaks...have noticed a big problem since I've switched to synthetic blends, I'll do the seals and try it again... :rolleyes:

I go by this:

If GM designed the Buick V6 Turbo motor to use synthetic, then they would have put it in from the beginning.
Look at the fuel gauge, says "PREMIUM Fuel Only" so do you put regular, you could but it run like $hit.

On the Corvette, GM put "use synthetic oil" stickers in the engine bay. They designed the motor around synthetic oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Was there synthetic oil back in the 80's? Just curious not being a smarta$$. And if I remember correctly we're also supposed to change oil at 7,000 miles. I'll recheck my visor today...

synthetic

I find it hard to believe that synthetic will leak where regular oil won't. Synthetic will stay thicker when hot and thinner when cold. If $ is a pinch, mix a couple quarts of syn. with reg. Probably much higher syn. ratio that the syn. blend.

gnxtc2 said:
I go by this:

If GM designed the Buick V6 Turbo motor to use synthetic, then they would have put it in from the beginning.
Look at the fuel gauge, says "PREMIUM Fuel Only" so do you put regular, you could but it run like $hit.

On the Corvette, GM put "use synthetic oil" stickers in the engine bay. They designed the motor around synthetic oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
The 1987 corvette? I dont think so. Besides, synthetic wasnt as abundant or relaively inexpensive as it is today. Plus, Mobil hadnt scored any big deals with any auto manufacturers regarding the use of their synthetics in all the cars from the factory. Back then, no auto manufacturer was sold on the idea of synthetics.

VadersV6 said:
The 1987 corvette? I dont think so. Besides, synthetic wasnt as abundant or relaively inexpensive as it is today. Plus, Mobil hadnt scored any big deals with any auto manufacturers regarding the use of their synthetics in all the cars from the factory. Back then, no auto manufacturer was sold on the idea of synthetics.

Where in my post say anything about an '87 Corvette? :confused:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Been using Mobile 10W40 Conventional oil in my turbo cars for 5 years with the WIX/NAPA 1036 Oil Filter. I wont use a synthetic. Just my .02, Mobile works for me.