TH400 vs 200R4

rowekmr

I am looking for a weekend car and the GN/T Type are at the top of my list. I found one that
is in my price range and but it has the TH400 instead of the 200R4. Besides not having a lock up convertor and OD what are any disadvantages? Is a built 400 more sturdy than a comparable built 200R4? I am new to his platform so I did a quick search and read that some builders consider a built 200R4 better than a built 700R4 but I didn't see any comparison to the good ole 400. If it is better to have the 200R4 how much work would be required to put a 200R4 back in? Thanks in advance.

Car specs:

87 T-Type Limited. SpoolFool's New rear fiberglass fillers. Rebuilt 3.8 engine with 1500 miles on it. And 2500 miles on a brand new TCI 400BOP trans with a 9inch 3800 stall TCI convertor with baloon plate, Manual valve body, large trans cooler up front. 60lb injectors TT chip, MSD wires,Rjc power plate, Precision stealth 70mm turbo with Rjc 5 inch stainless down pipe and runs on E-85. Car runs 10.90's. Racetronix 415 single fuel pump, kennybell fuel pressure regulator, K&N cold air filter. Bob Bailey's Two step.

The components of the TH400 are intended to handle more torque than a 2004R, both in stock form. First and second gear ratios are numerically lower with the TH400. The car should be less of a handful to get off the line quickly.

You could have a different crossmember in the car for the TH400. So you may have to change the crossmember. Driveshaft length is probably different...? Assuming the shifter was changed also?

Congrats! Yeah I was seriously considering it before I decided to go in a different direction. How did the car turn out for you?