Th400 swap bc i dont want to do it twice.

WWellQUOTE="Wahoo, post: 3608347, member: 36560"]This thread is also about budget. Whats the cost of building a 9 sec 200r4 compared to a 9 sec th400?

I need a converter for either transmission.

I also feel a th400 is easier for a dyi'er to build himself, is this true?[/QUOTE] Well I have stage 3 200 and it is supposed to handle 1000 hp 850 tq not that u am gonna make that much power lol. But the cost for it was $3200 shipped.. I have no experience with a 400 cost for that power. Sure its cheaper to build at that level but drive shaft needs to be shorten new converter so the Total cost could be more or the same

Don't let the naysayers discourage you building yourself a 2004r. I have $3-400 in my build. It isn't hard core but it is holding up so far. The converter was additional to that figure. I see nothing wrong with swapping to a th400 but it really does make highway travel not near as fun. If you have the 692 servo and the bq valve body you are ahead of what I started with. Pick up the ck performance manual and a copy of the atsg overhaul manual. If you can get the trans in and out I think you will have the skills to over haul one.

Don't let the naysayers discourage you building yourself a 2004r. I have $3-400 in my build. It isn't hard core but it is holding up so far. The converter was additional to that figure. I see nothing wrong with swapping to a th400 but it really does make highway travel not near as fun. If you have the 692 servo and the bq valve body you are ahead of what I started with. Pick up the ck performance manual and a copy of the atsg overhaul manual. If you can get the trans in and out I think you will have the skills to over haul one.

Thx, do these manuals talk about buulding them for performance?

Like modifications to make them stronger?

I kinda want to make this car lift the wheels, debating if i should get a trans brake too while i have the tranny apart, depending on cost and which direction i go.

on my 86 i have a sprag upgrade stock rebuild kit from transstar and a reverse manual valvebody with hughs transbrake
the tbrake valvebody doesn't use a governor or the second band and has constant pressure so the clutches hold more hp but with a brake youd be wise to get an sfi shield or blanket and a case saver like this http://transmission-specialties.com/641/product_info.php?cPath=85&products_id=860 to prevent case lug blow out which will be costly and require many new parts to fix , a thorough clean out of the debris and a new case

as far as what you should do theres plenty of info on the net for strengthening the th400 and a quick look at CKperformance parts for the th400 will give you insight on what parts are needed for what power level , the heavier the car the more important those upgrades are most important is the cooler restriction mod top revent thrust bearing issues on the crank which will not be addressed on most over the counter performance transmissions because other motors (like the SBC) wont experience thrust failure

on my 86 i have a sprag upgrade stock rebuild kit from transstar and a reverse manual valvebody with hughs transbrake
the tbrake valvebody doesn't use a governor or the second band and has constant pressure so the clutches hold more hp but with a brake youd be wise to get an sfi shield or blanket and a case saver like this http://transmission-specialties.com/641/product_info.php?cPath=85&products_id=860 to prevent case lug blow out which will be costly and require many new parts to fix , a thorough clean out of the debris and a new case

as far as what you should do theres plenty of info on the net for strengthening the th400 and a quick look at CKperformance parts for the th400 will give you insight on what parts are needed for what power level , the heavier the car the more important those upgrades are most important is the cooler restriction mod top revent thrust bearing issues on the crank which will not be addressed on most over the counter performance transmissions because other motors (like the SBC) wont experience thrust failure
I plan to buy a fiberglass front bumper, we will see how light the car ends up. Shouldnt be too heavy stock though, its a t type.