th350 late shift problems

Ssmnt408

I put a th350 in my monte until I can rebuild my 200 4r. When I first got it the 1-2 shift was horrible, it shifted about 2 seconds after I shifted it, the 2-3 was the same. I installed a shift kit and the 1-2 shift time was cut in half and the 2-3 became instant and firm. The 1-2 shift is driving me nuts. Is there any way to fix this without getting into the guts of the tranny?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

A quick fix possibly.

It depends on if the shift kit you installed came with a new spacer plate or not. If the shift kit came with a new spacer plate than this little fix WILL NOT WORK.

On the drivers side of the transmission case{about in the middle of the case} is the 1-2 accum housing {it's right behind the kickdown cable}. Remove the wire ring around the cover, remove the cover and o-ring { you will loose a little bit of fluid}, remove the spring, and then cut a piece of conduit or solid rod about 1/2'' longer than the spring, and put the rod/conduit in place of the spring, re-assemble and hang on to your teeth. :biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Mike

spacer plate? is that the plate that goes between th e valve body and the tranny? the shift kit I got had me drill different holes in it. What will happen if I do it anyway?

On the drivers side of the transmission case{about in the middle of the case} is the 1-2 accum housing {it's right behind the kickdown cable}. Remove the wire ring around the cover, remove the cover and o-ring { you will loose a little bit of fluid}, remove the spring, and then cut a piece of conduit or solid rod about 1/2'' longer than the spring, and put the rod/conduit in place of the spring, re-assemble and hang on to your teeth.

this sounds like a pretty easy fix, is this bad for the tranny in any way, would putting a stiffer spring in help also???

Brian

Ssmnt408 said:
spacer plate? is that the plate that goes between th e valve body and the tranny? the shift kit I got had me drill different holes in it. What will happen if I do it anyway?

Yes, the spacer plate goes between the valve body and trans case. The reason I asked if you got a new spacer plate with the shift kit is; that they block the feed hole to the 1-2 accum so it doesn't soften the 1-2 shift, which is what i'm having you do by blocking the accum with the conduit/solid rod {basically stoping the 1-2 accum action}.

If your shift kit had you just drilling your exsisting spacer plate, then try what i was telling you with the 1-2 accum. If you got a new spacer plate with the shift kit, doing what i suggested is a waste of time.

Jason

Yedi said:
this sounds like a pretty easy fix, is this bad for the tranny in any way, would putting a stiffer spring in help also???

It is pretty easy to do. It will make the trans shift a lot firmer. Is it bad for the tranny? I don't thing so in most perfromance applications. Most shift kits on the market that come with a spacer plate removes the 1-2 accum function anyways. The shift kits that don't come with a spacer plate have you removing the spring all together or installing a spring so stiff that it might as well be solid. Either way the 1-2 accum function is eliminated or restricted.