Th200r4 first to second shift problem

Not totally solved yet as my friend took it all apart and found the second gear band shot as already suspected by quickt, then there were the the direct clutches inside the direct drum which was also shot and some of which were down to the metal and warped to hell. The drum itself was showing bad signs of blueing, due to the slipping band, so that was renewed.
Rebuilt the pump and also the boost valve which was a little loose in the seating.
We put the trans back in the car checked all the fluid levels and took it out for a test drive at a steady pace, slowly off the drive first gear up to about 3,000 rpm into second gear, all be a little higher than usual at part throttle, but then had to slow down for traffic. Then started of again in first and that's where it stayed and never came out of it took it up to about 5.500 rpm but would not change up at all.
Checked all fluid levels and they were a tad low but less than a quart of fluid, with a hint of optimism took it out but no difference.
The only thing we did not do this time round was rebuild the valve body as it was only rebuilt about 2 miles before at the last attempt to fix it!

Not sure that there might of been anything wrong but there was a lot of black sludge in the pan from the slipping band even after a couple of miles after the valve body rebuild. So not sure if it could of got in the valve body in such a short distance?
The governor was taken apart before also and I found nothing wrong at all! Cleaned it up and put it back together.
Any ideas guys as we are a little stumped , all bar taking out the valve body again and renewing the governor.
Static Line pressures were 270psi but did not check driving pressures as of yet!
I have had an operation on my knee at the moment and have been out of action for the last 10 weeks and still got another 6 more I think :(
Cheers
Peter

How did you set the clearance on the 2nd servo? What about the direct clutches clearance? What boost valve did you use? Did you go with a bigger rev boost valve? Spring?
What band did you use? New clutches/steels in the direct?
Verify the tv valve is fully open when the throttle is fully depressed?

Sounds like some grit in the vb. Could have spit the governor spring. Did you "pin" it while you had it apart?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'll have to check with my friend on all the clearances, but I did not pin he governor (not sure how it would be done), and did think that the valve body might be the only other problem, tv cable was definitely fully operational and no more cable movement when throttle was wide open!

Peter​

I'll have to check with my friend on all the clearances, but I did not pin he governor (not sure how it would be done), and did think that the valve body might be the only other problem, tv cable was definitely fully operational and no more cable movement when throttle was wide open!

Peter​
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?threads/399648/
Pinning the governor spring. I picked up some nylon screws at my local ace hardware . I already had the drill bit and tap. Well worth your time as is could prevent dropping the pan again and no one likes that if it could be avoided.
With the new band I would at least check the clearance. And when assembling the trans checking the clearance and getting it right on the direct is important if you want 2-3 to be crisp. Check the sticky at the top of this section as it is laid out well there. Post back if you have questions. There are experts(not me, I'm just a novice) here who help.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Cheers will let you know when I'm more able to crawl around under the car, thanks for your advice :)

Hi Guys,
Thought I should let you know the final outcome of the story, as you guys have been so helpful with info. After 2 1/2 years of headaches and head scratching as to the problem, I finally managed to drive the Vette with smooth changes :) alas with a th7004r fitted instead.
After my knee op last year my Brother emailed a television programme over hear called CAR SOS, similar show to 'Overhauling' you have in the U.S.
They secretly took my car away and did a makeover. They had the trans stripped and rebuild twice and neither of the companies used could find the problem. They decided to install a 700 trans instead.

Link attached to thread on the CCCUK SITE.

http://www.corvetteclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=121947#121947

Not sure what was wrong as we never got to the bottom of it. I did do the stupid thing of driving it for a about 100plus miles with the problem and must of caused damage inside that was not visible on the 3 rebuilds it had?

Thanks again for your help guys it has been very informative :).