Tell me about cracked heads..

Turbo6Smackdown

Was reading where, some people were cracking heads like glass, because they were driving their cars in the winter (these are any old sort of passenger cars) and heating the heads up, before the t-stat opened, releasing ice cold water, into super hot heads.... though before reading of that, I NEVER, EVER heard of ANYone cracking a head because of that. EVERY car I ever owned, I used to start up in the winter, and wait for the oil to circulate for about 10 seconds, and then I'd put her into drive, and go like a bat out of hell. For YEARS. As did every member of my family.
My brothers a master mechanic at a local shop, and he tells me all sorts of stories from work. Never once heard of a head cracking that way either.
Now, I'm not saying it's possible, because it sounds VERY possible. Which is why I'm here asking lol. Because I don't want to take any chances lol. A cracked head would suck.
So tell me what's up. How often does this happen?

1st hole I see in this theory is it's not like the thermostat just slams open at a certain temp and ice cold coolant circulates throughout the motor. It cracks open gradually and the motor cools down some and it shuts again. If the car is idling it might go throught this several times before the whole system has warmed up.

Without going to link provided I would say.

Winter time (Michigan Cold). I would say make sure you have proper amount of antifreeze vs water good to 30 below...3rd week in Jan:eek:
and lighter oil viscosity.

As far as older iron heads cracking, my guess would prolly only include chevy 400 heads due to the extra steam holes with the siamese bores.

releasing ice cold water, into super hot heads....

Not making fun of those guys, but i am guessing that its lack of maintenance on the owners part.

The coolant would not be ice cold entering past the t-stat.

If anyone could find a video of a t-stat in action, that would be neat to see.

BW

I have heard some ridiculous claims before but this one is up there with some of the best I've heard.....

How many 3.8's were out there running including 3800's??

The only thing I've heard of is cracked exhaust valves on engines with free flowing exhaust. The cold air can cool the valves down to quick causing them to crack. But I've never heard of heads cracking because it was cold out :rolleyes: