TE45-A users with stock heads/cam... in here please.

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Hey guys... looks like I am about to purchase a used TE45-a turbo for my '87 solid roof GN. It is probably more turbo than I need... but I want a little growing room. When I install it, I will have the stock un-opened long block with stock cam. I understand from reading other post..... almost everyone advises against a TE45-A with stock heads..... but a few people say they don't have any problems and love it. I would like to know who here is running one now with stock heads.... and what is your combo.... and what does it run?

My current mods are in my sig. Mods to be installed at the time the turbo goes on: Hot wired Walbro 340, Extender extreme chip cut for 60# injectors and alky, Razors single nozzle alky kit (of course), and 60# Motrons.

Plans for the future include a hand ported set of 8445's and hand ported/gasket matched intake and doghouse. Haven't decided on which way I am going to go with the intercooler... stock location... stretched with dutt neck.... PS front mount....or other front mount.... ???

So.... people running a 45A with stock heads... cam.... how fast are you going... and how do you like it....

People that had stock heads and cam... and a 45A....but went to ported heads...and bigger cam.... how much difference did it make (at the track)....and seat of the pants... if you haven't been to the track.....

there was a car local here that went 120 mph on stock heads with a 45...put champion irons on it and it went 127....there ya go...

Chevota said:
it'll work fine... numbers in my sig represent a te45a

-scott wile

400 with a 5k stall has nothing in common with his combo :rolleyes:

With stock Everything----45a will be a pig.You will also need more injector for this turbo.

Geoff

Best turbo I have owned

all stock engine except for cam and D/P. 3200 lu converter 7.1 in the 18th. can't remember the MPH. JUst get a stall and it will fly.

ghall said:
400 with a 5k stall has nothing in common with his combo :rolleyes:

With stock Everything----45a will be a pig.You will also need more injector for this turbo.

Geoff

60# Motrons are not enough? I thought I saw plenty of people running 50 or 55# injectors.... I realize... that the 50# and 55# are on the small end....

As far as stall.... my current converter stalls 3600-3800 per my DS logs @ 10# of boost. I understand it might like more... but most of the posts suggest 3600-3800 is good. I can send a DS log to those who are interested.

Seeing that you are running a 0-pump Vigilante my first questions about the turbo:

1.) P-trim or Q-trim exhaust wheel?

2.) What exhaust housing a/r? Precision or Garrett?

It can work well with the stock cam and heads, but not much, if any, better than some of the smaller turbos. Now once you add a good bottom end, camshaft, and ported heads... Hold on!! :biggrin:

K.

NCTURBOS said:
Seeing that you are running a 0-pump Vigilante my first questions about the turbo:

1.) P-trim or Q-trim exhaust wheel?

2.) What exhaust housing a/r? Precision or Garrett?

It can work well with the stock cam and heads, but not much, if any, better than some of the smaller turbos. Now once you add a good bottom end, camshaft, and ported heads... Hold on!! :biggrin:

K.

1.) P trim wheel

2.) .68 Precision turbine housing

I am now second guessing the larger turbo.... :confused: after talking to Julio when I ordered my Alky kit this morning :biggrin:

In my opinion I like the Te/Ta-61 for a stock long-block car. But the 45a is a nice choice for growing pains.

K.

I have a te45a on mine with stock long block except for valvesprings.

In conjunction with that I have 72 lb siemans injectors, 3"thdp, 3600 stall art carr (had, now have a 3400 l/u pat's), powerstroke IC, and Alky

The previous owner ran 11.5@118 on race gas

I have run 7.5@92 on pump gas and isopropyl alcohol. I can definately improve on that because Isopropyl isnt as good as methanol as far as latency of heat is concerned. I couldnt run that much boost without knocking, around 26 or so.

This turbo likes alot of boost

Blazer, There is a guy on here from Michigan that goes by LC2...something, that has ran low 10's @ 128 or 129 with the combo you are considering. Boost in the 30's of course. I have also been considering the upgrade to the 45A with my setup if I dont sell the car first. 2wks ago I ran a 6.668@ 95.92 with a slow 1.65 60' on a 600ft. (short 1\8th). My stall is looser than it advertises. I left soft and by 15mph it was at 5400rpm.

combo is in sig.....i have been 7.2@91 forgetting to shift to 3rd.lol but i have had some bugs to work out, and a couple of weeks ago went 11.5@117 banging out at the top of every gear.errr but i found the problem, it was my fuel pump going south. now all is well. it will go 7.0's i'm sure.

ohh, btw....i run a custom ck performance l/u 3500 stall converter....sweet piece!

For what it's worth, I hated the spool with the 3.8 stock motor and that turbo. It took a 3,800 stall to spool it in this decade. After adding a 4.1L, more compression, and other mods, it spools very fast with just a 3,000 stall.

I was considering a TE45A but after some research I did not want to change my converter. I have a precision 3200 LU and a completly stock motor. I bought a TE62 instead and It's great.

JC Turbo said:
I was considering a TE45A but after some research I did not want to change my converter. I have a precision 3200 LU and a completly stock motor. I bought a TE62 instead and It's great.

I am 99% sure I am going to keep my TE60/61 ?? not sure which one I have.... and rebuild it... might try and upgrade it to like a GT6152... if that is possible... I emailed John Craig about 2 weeks ago.... and have not had a reply...?? I want to know what options I have.... anyway...as soon as I get the TE45-A I bought off the board... a couple of weeks back... I am most likely going to sell it.... won't need one that big until I go 11'0's.... then I might consider a turbo that size....

Blazer406 said:
60# Motrons are not enough? I thought I saw plenty of people running 50 or 55# injectors.... I realize... that the 50# and 55# are on the small end....

As far as stall.... my current converter stalls 3600-3800 per my DS logs @ 10# of boost. I understand it might like more... but most of the posts suggest 3600-3800 is good. I can send a DS log to those who are interested.

If your converter stalls that high at 10#s of boost ,you will have no problem spooling this turbo.my converter is only 3500 at 10 pounds and i had no problem at all.try the turbo.you might be surprised how good it works.dont forget,alot of it is in the tune.60 pound motrons are plenty on a stock headed motor.good luck with it.
nick,