TE 62 turbo?

svtnos

does anyone have any feed back on these? pros/cons ect... i was wondering what injectors are best for this size turbo and what kind of power can this turbo make as well... thanks!

I'm sure there are a lot of others that will have more actual data, but I had a TE-62 for about 3 years. If you have enough stall in the converter, it works pretty good. I used mine with 55# injectors. I don't think I ever really maxxed out the turbo before another rebuild where I went all out with the heads/turbo/etc. I had a FMIC and unported GN1 heads with it. If you have the money though, I would recommend going with a similar size ball bearing turbo. My T-72 BB spools faster than the 62 ever did.

Derrick

Originally posted by tazgn
I'm sure there are a lot of others that will have more actual data, but I had a TE-62 for about 3 years. If you have enough stall in the converter, it works pretty good. I used mine with 55# injectors. I don't think I ever really maxxed out the turbo before another rebuild where I went all out with the heads/turbo/etc. I had a FMIC and unported GN1 heads with it. If you have the money though, I would recommend going with a similar size ball bearing turbo. My T-72 BB spools faster than the 62 ever did.

Derrick
did u ever run the car at the track with the te62? the turbo im looking at is used and needs to be rebuilt. local guy for me... thanks for your reply :D

I have had mine for a few months now and I love it it pulls very hard and I put MSD 50's in it with a trans plus and ext chip,, It blows the tire all the time,,, I also have a FM,,, And Plan on doing a set of P&P heads a cam this winter,, Shooting for low 11 with a high ten sec pass,, :D you sould like it I do,,
Good luck, And Have a safe time,,,
Seneca Lafler,

Originally posted by JUSTAV6
I have had mine for a few months now and I love it it pulls very hard and I put MSD 50's in it with a trans plus and ext chip,, It blows the tire all the time,,, I also have a FM,,, And Plan on doing a set of P&P heads a cam this winter,, Shooting for low 11 with a high ten sec pass,, :D you sould like it I do,,
Good luck, And Have a safe time,,,
Seneca Lafler,
ok cool! my goal with the GN is to have a low 11, high 10 sec daily driver :D

This turbo is going to need a good 3200 rpm stall converter to spool well, esp in a street car!

Doug C.

Originally posted by dconnor
This turbo is going to need a good 3200 rpm stall converter to spool well, esp in a street car!

Doug C.
with that noted, is that too high of a stall? i guess what im saying is should i look into a different turbo?

ANY turbo that will support 10's is going to need some coverter to help it spool, though a ball bearing (read $$$$$$) will need quite a bit less. I am running a 3200 rpm top-hat converter (9-11") with a te-61 & the street manners are GREAT. Can't tell the converter is there unless I stand on the gas & it spools even faster than stock.

Just be sure to use something from a reputable vendor and you should be fine. :)

Doug C.

ANY turbo that will support 10's is going to need some coverter to help it spool, though a ball bearing (read $$$$$$) will need quite a bit less. I am running a 3200 rpm top-hat converter (9-11") with a te-61 & the street manners are GREAT. Can't tell the converter is there unless I stand on the gas & it spools even faster than stock.

Just be sure to use something from a reputable vendor and you should be fine. :)

Doug C.
awesome! thanks for the info... i want to do everything right.. i dont mind saving $$ and getting a converter

Doug C.

I'll second that. 3200 stall converter is transparent on the street, and I was getting 16-17# launches w/a TE51.

I'm running a John Craig TE-62 with MSD 50's...3200 9/11 converter...I like the turbo a lot...it's the biggest you can go without going to large shaft turbos...but you definitely need a converter...

more ?'s about this turbo

i have enough injector for it and i have all the machine work done on the motor and a 210/205 cam but my stall is only a 2800 will this be enough for this te62? the rest of my mods in in my sig execpt for translator and ext chip

I'm going with a 3200 stall for mine.

You might run out of injector quicker with the 62 with the cam and ported heads.

I'm keeping my Bosch 43's but don't have the heads and cam.

Keep an eye on your fuel whilst tuning it, I know I will be. :)

thats the thing i kind need a yes or no type answer the motor is out of the car and is real easy to change i just have to sell the 2800 to get the dough for a 3200. a buddy of mine has a 44 with stock TC and it pulls like mad thats what confuses me. thanks for the reply.

turbotoyz

it will pull like mad with the stock tc, but it wont spool like mad with the stock tc!! thats the thing.

it might take all of first gear to get spooled, for example, a TA54 took about 15 or so seconds to spool up and do a burnout with the stock converter!.. first gear was really slow too, but by the time it went to 2nd, it tore up.. so if you want to spool quick and have the power available quicker, get a converter. if you dont give a damn, then dont! :)

Hope you don't mind stvos..

How about this turbo (te-62) with a 3000 stall 10" converter and stock heads, and block? Would that work O.K.?

Dconnor, any times with your te-61? What injectors are you running?

1. What is the differance between a big shaft and small shaft(?)?

2. Would a 63. houseing help with spool up? I would think it would but maybe not enough?

Im thinking about a t-63 with no stall untill i get the money.

Thanks
Juan

big shaft means its a non stock center section, huge turbo in other words.. 60 series is the largest you can get "TA" style for, cause they stil use stock center section, but look at a 70 series and see how much bigger the compressor is!

3000 is a bit low, imo, 3200 is dead on. With a bit less stall, it is kinda all or nothing....meaning you can brake stall some boost in it and launch hard but it will be doggy from a low speed roll.

You really need to match the converter to the turbo. A PTe51 or a TE60 is better for a 3000-again in my opinion. :)