tci 2004r

delcreek

i have a tci 2004r in my car, i bought the trans new and have only driven the car around the block a couple of times during a one year span. the car has never really run right so i wasnt able to tell if my trans was working ok or not. im starting to think i messed it up (hope not). i step on the brake and give it gas and the car goes nowhere; with the gas still pressed i let go of the brake and the car starts moving very sluggish. also during all this there is no boost. maybe i set the tv cable wrong. could somebody please help out im going crazy; ive been working on this car a long time and spent more than a couple bucks on it. i want to start driving it!

Your also going to need a lot more detail in order to help with your problem. It could be so many different things it's hard to say where to start. Start by giving everybody all the specs on your set up. Another is what stall converter is in the car. If the motor is not running correctly then it's going to be sluggish, if the trans is not downshifting to first it will act this way. If the stall is way to much it will respond this way. It may not be building boost because the wastegate puck is not closing. It could be etc. etc. just need more info to help.

my car specs are as follows: K&n air filter, 4'"RJC intake, 3.5" ls maf with translator, 6031=TE 60 precision turbo, stock intercooler, stock throttlebody, gbody parts ported plenum, stock injectors, stock chip, scanmaster, ported & polished stock heads, poston cam GN107T, rebuilt short block with JE pistons and ARP hardware, poston headers, stock down pipe (no exhaust yet), TCI 2004R transmission, TCI 3000 stall torque converter. i also wanted to mention that the car runs rich blms stay at around 105 and i believe that means that the computer is trying to take away fuel. if anybody could give me some fresh insight because i am going crazy and i dont want to start throwing at it and not fix it.

I hope someone else will chime in here, but my observations so far are you have upgraded the turbo, stall, air inlet (4"), headers, heads and so on but are still running stock injectors and chip. I don't have technical data to support this just years of experience. I would change injectors and have a chip burned for your combo. Then I would check the wast gate puck and make sure it is sealing against the exhaust housing. This is easy to do, just pull the exhaust housing off and look at the carbon trace on the housing. I found on my turbo the wastegate puck was too small and actually sitting inside the wastegate hole.
Also what exhaust housing is on your turbo.

HOW DOES THE CAR PERFORM FROM A ROLL (40 MPH)? DOES IT BUILD BOOST AND DOWN SHIFT TO SECOND WHEN U GIVE IT FULL THROTTLE?

I hope someone else will chime in here, but my observations so far are you have upgraded the turbo, stall, air inlet (4"), headers, heads and so on but are still running stock injectors and chip. I don't have technical data to support this just years of experience. I would change injectors and have a chip burned for your combo. Then I would check the wast gate puck and make sure it is sealing against the exhaust housing. This is easy to do, just pull the exhaust housing off and look at the carbon trace on the housing. I found on my turbo the wastegate puck was too small and actually sitting inside the wastegate hole.
Also what exhaust housing is on your turbo.
i was thinking about getting new injectors 60# and chip but i want to fix the car first. id hate to spend the money and it still not run right and still not know what is wrong with it. how can i check the injectors to see if theyre leaking? thanks for replying man.

My car did the same thing and it was a bad converter. The stall was bad. the car would not build boost and was very sluggish. At a 30mph roll the car was fine. I dont know if a non lock up converter would do this.Like a non lock up coverter in a lock up trans?.

HOW DOES THE CAR PERFORM FROM A ROLL (40 MPH)? DOES IT BUILD BOOST AND DOWN SHIFT TO SECOND WHEN U GIVE IT FULL THROTTLE?
i have not floored it yet because it has never really run right, but i have gotten on the gas a little. from like 20mph i give it gas and it really starts to take off and starts to build boost then when i let off it will want to die if i dont feather the throttle.

My car did the same thing and it was a bad converter. The stall was bad. the car would not build boost and was very sluggish. At a 30mph roll the car was fine. I dont know if a non lock up converter would do this.Like a non lock up coverter in a lock up trans?.
did you ever stand on the brake and give it gas? and if you have, does the car build boost?

did you ever stand on the brake and give it gas? and if you have, does the car build boost?

The car did nothing when tring to do a brake torque. It never built any boost at all. I had a 10 inch l/u converter from precision and sent it back. I put a 3000 12 inch l/u Hughes and the problem was gone . Im not saying thats your problem but it fixed my problem. I think someone here had similar problem and it was the valve stuck in valve body. I would call Lonnie from extreme automatics and see what he says.

The car did nothing when tring to do a brake torque. It never built any boost at all. I had a 10 inch l/u converter from precision and sent it back. I put a 3000 12 inch l/u Hughes and the problem was gone . Im not saying thats your problem but it fixed my problem. I think someone here had similar problem and it was the valve stuck in valve body. I would call Lonnie from extreme automatics and see what he says.
i did the the brake gas thing again but this time i tried to go to 3000rpm and at around 2300rpm the tires started spinning and boost started to build pretty quickly. i wonder if thats why it seems sluggish when i take off from a stand still. let me ask you seeins how you have a 3000 stall as well, how does the car the car drive under normal driving conditions compared to a stock vehicle (non hiperf)? do the gears go in as easily or do you have to rev the engine in order to get going? i ask you this because i have never driven a car with higher stall converter.

the engine will rev higher to take off and shift later with a looser converter/higher stall... i doubt the 3000 is the true stall on the TCI converter since i doubt they take into consideration that you had a buick v6, cam, ported heads, etc... all that will affect stall speed. And with all the mods you have done to the car you need injectors and a chip for it to run well

the engine will rev higher to take off and shift later with a looser converter/higher stall... i doubt the 3000 is the true stall on the TCI converter since i doubt they take into consideration that you had a buick v6, cam, ported heads, etc... all that will affect stall speed. And with all the mods you have done to the car you need injectors and a chip for it to run well
thanks for replying man, i havent had a chance to get on the computer till now but i do appreciate your reply. im looking at 60# mototrons and a turbo tweak chip hopefully next week.

dude you deff need a chip and inj a te60 on stock chip and injectors you injectors are at max duty cycle before you turbo even pushed half the cfm its ment to push meaning no mater how hard you try she isnt gonna spool cuz she aint got nuff fuel (holy shit that rhymed)

dude you deff need a chip and inj a te60 on stock chip and injectors you injectors are at max duty cycle before you turbo even pushed half the cfm its ment to push meaning no mater how hard you try she isnt gonna spool cuz she aint got nuff fuel (holy shit that rhymed)
hey that did rhyme, thanks for replying man ive been working alot so i havent had a chance to get on the computer lately but hopefully this friday im going to order the chip and injectors and hopefully that solves my problems.