TCC Switch function?

tonysmach

I have just purchased my 2nd GN (sold 1st in March 09). This GN has more performance items and I don't know when I should use the TCC switch (located in ashtray). I know it locks up the transmission but is it only to be switched on when I am cruising on highway or in a different situation? Can some explain its purpose? Thanks.

I use mine at the strip, my converters too loose at present so lock it at top of second gear. its like a big sling shot in my case.. went from 112mph to 119.87mph, hit it middle of third ran a 11.503 @ 118.04 from an 11.73 @ 112,

Also depends if you have a lock up converter and/or what it locks at..speed wise that is. hth
I'm sure others will chime in, just giving what i use mine for..

I use mine at the strip, my converters too loose at present so lock it at top of second gear. its like a big sling shot in my case.. went from 112mph to 119.87mph, hit it middle of third ran a 11.503 @ 118.04 from an 11.73 @ 112,

Also depends if you have a lock up converter and/or what it locks at..speed wise that is. hth
I'm sure others will chime in, just giving what i use mine for..

Thanks. I have a 3500 stall and I assume it is a non-lock up converter.

... so lock it at top of second gear. its like a big sling shot in my case.. went from 112mph to 119.87mph, hit it middle of third ran a 11.503 @ 118.04 from an 11.73 @ 112....

If you lock it at top of 2nd gear, then do you finish the quarter mile in 2nd gear? wouldn't you over rev?

no. your just putting a 1 to 1 ratio locked up, transmission will still shift normally , or where you have it set. just no slippage. with mine i was ruuning the traps to high, didnt like it, convertor way to loose.. if you have a non lock up convertor. is it locking when you engage the button:confused:why do u assume its a non lock

no. your just putting a 1 to 1 ratio locked up, transmission will still shift normally , or where you have it set. just no slippage. with mine i was ruuning the traps to high, didnt like it, convertor way to loose.. if you have a non lock up convertor. is it locking when you engage the button:confused:why do u assume its a non lock

Yes, it locks the transmission when I engage. I have only had the car a few days so I will have to see if it will still shift normally after I engage the button.

The shift will be VERY harsh with the TCC locked. I would strongly recommend that if you use it at the track, that you NOT lock it until a second or two after the car has shifted into 3rd. Locking it in second gear produces a huge drag at the 2/3 shift and pulls the engine way down out of it's power curve.