Tasteful Roll Cage

INTERCOOLED

Hey guys-

I am thinking about putting a 4 point roll cage in my GN. Was wondering who has one.....what are the pros and cons, if any......also did you have it custom made or did you purchase a kit and had it installed? Is there something that I should stay away from? I am looking for advice and input.

I would love to see some pics if anyone has some. I am definitely interested in GN roll cages that are painted grey to match the interior.

Thanks! :D

If you are getting a roll bar make it a 5-point so it will be NHRA legal. The cons are that you have to cut your car, lose most of the use of the back seat (although my kids think it's cool riding in the car holding onto the bar which I had to pad for them), I lost about 2" of front seat travel with my power seat, and the cost - it cost me $750 to have a custom bar installed including the R&R of the interior and would have been another $200 to have it painted. The pro is that you are legal to 10.00. (With the other approproate safety equipent.)

See sig. Can't see any of it from the side. And I painted mine black to make it hard to see from any other angle.

Mine is actually being put together right now. Its a 10pt chromolly(sp), and from the pics you can see that I will have full use of the back seats. Here are a few pictures I recieved today from the fabricator.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gotta be a member for your link to work...

Around how much would a ten point cage be, R&R of interior included?

Let see if this works

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 378
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 337
  • P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 347
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 353
Twiny Twin,

The welds look great!!!!!! Can you get a better photo of how it goes through the rear deck?? Who is the fabricator?? How much $$$?? You can PM me if necessary.

TIA,

K.

Spend the money and do a nice custom CM cage. You'll be much lighter than a mild steel "one size fits all" roll bar. You'll also be safe, IHRA and NHRA legal to 8.50 and a nicely constructed cage is coooool!

Check out my photoalbum in the link below. I went a little crazy after we nearly lost one of our fellow racers (Buick GSE) to a nasty crash, but I'll never regret spending that money.

NCTURBOS said:
Twiny Twin,

The welds look great!!!!!! Can you get a better photo of how it goes through the rear deck?? Who is the fabricator?? How much $$$?? You can PM me if necessary.

TIA,

K.

The place that is doing mine is call the Weld Shop. They are out in Shelby North Carolina and the owner/fabricator is name Matt Hutchenson (704)480-7342. This is a 10pt chromolly(sp) cage and right now the price of CM is cheaper than steel. All said and done it cost me $1200. Here are the only pictures that I have close up of the rear package tray.

Attachments

• P1010103.jpg
    P1010103.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 295
  • P1010109.jpg
    P1010109.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 277
TwinyTwin said:
The place that is doing mine is call the Weld Shop. They are out in Shelby North Carolina and the owner/fabricator is name Matt Hutchenson (704)480-7342. This is a 10pt chromolly(sp) cage and right now the price of CM is cheaper than steel. All said and done it cost me $1200. Here are the only pictures that I have close up of the rear package tray.

Pm sent!!

Thanks,

K.

XLR8 said:
If you are getting a roll bar make it a 5-point so it will be NHRA legal.

What makes the cage a 5 point? Is it a 4 point with the bar that runs across the middle behind the seats?

I'm not sure who may make one. The 5th "point" runs from the hoop to the floor by the drivers foot diaganaly to protect the drivers side. I think you would have to order an "eight point" bar from the mail order catalogs (2 of the "points" are worthless) and you can leave out the side bar on hte passenger side.

well I got the car back and I have to say the cage looks great and the work is top notch. I will post up pictures tomorrow with the interior in.

XLR8 said:
I'm not sure who may make one. The 5th "point" runs from the hoop to the floor by the drivers foot diaganaly to protect the drivers side. I think you would have to order an "eight point" bar from the mail order catalogs (2 of the "points" are worthless) and you can leave out the side bar on hte passenger side.

I was looking through a Jeg's catalog. They have numerous options for cages. I noticed that the GN 4 point cage is $129.99 and the 8 point is $149.99. They both are made of 1 3/4" x .134-wall mild steel tubing.

The diagonal bar on the driver's side seems to be a drag when getting in and out of the car. I noticed that Jeg's also lists a pre-bent door bar that allows for easier entering and exiting. They are sold as a pair for $52.99 and the tubing is of the same specifications. There is a note however, that they are not legal for competition use. I guess that means that I cannot install the 4 point with one of the pre-bent door bars on the driver's side? Because that is what I was immediately thinking.

Are they saying the door bar must be straight and diagonal?

here are the pics as promised

Attachments

• DSCF1625.jpg
    DSCF1625.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF1626.jpg
    DSCF1626.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF1627.jpg
    DSCF1627.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF1628.jpg
    DSCF1628.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF1629.jpg
    DSCF1629.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 207
few more

Attachments

• DSCF1630.jpg
    DSCF1630.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF1631.jpg
    DSCF1631.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF1633.jpg
    DSCF1633.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 193
Looks top notch, but I must ask.... Why do a 10 pt if it is not legal? To add to that, are the rear bars on plates and not down to the frame?