Tapping sound ... Can't diagnose

I'm not a pessimist but a realist. Now that that's out of the way, it's probably not a tensioner lol. On these 3445 year old cars it's NEVER something simple. Oh yea, and it's NEVER the plugs either lol. (had to say it). Now for the REAL question, do you have an oil pressure gauge.

I'm not a pessimist but a realist. Now that that's out of the way, it's probably not a tensioner lol. On these 3445 year old cars it's NEVER something simple. Oh yea, and it's NEVER the plugs either lol. (had to say it). Now for the REAL question, do you have an oil pressure gauge.
I don't have an oil pressure gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay using the stethoscope. The clearest pinging, that I can almost hear. Is when I touch it to the cam sensor and timing chain cover

I have had several cam sensors over the years that made that same noise.Put your finger on the cap and you can feel it.

Dude, OMG. PLEASE do something about your fuel pressure gauge on the rail. That is one of the scariest things I've seen on a GN EVER. :jawdrop:

Dude, OMG. PLEASE do something about your fuel pressure gauge on the rail. That is one of the scariest things I've seen on a GN EVER. :jawdrop:

[emoji23]

When I bought the car, homeboy had that thing stripped to shit. No adapter on gods earth can go there. Id have to buy a new rail

Pop it out and get a 'distributor shim kit' for a SBC/BBC. It will literally take less than 5 minutes to bring it to spec.

The ring on top moves up and down maybe about a quarter of an inch, is that normal? Other than that, I didn't really see any physical problems with it.

Last edited:
There will be some movement up and down but not a 1/4"! David has some new sensors for sale for $200 shipped

Or do the shim kit as mentioned

[emoji23]

When I bought the car, homeboy had that thing stripped to shit. No adapter on gods earth can go there. Id have to buy a new rail

The new rail is worth it, please replace it or take the gauge off and put the schrader back in.

23ab899b0c6c32b468da109d2617c9ea.jpg

That ring on top moves up and down maybe about a quarter of an inch, is that normal? Other than that, I didn't really see any physical problems with it.

No. It's not. Drive the spring roll pin out of the gear and get a shim kit. That will solve your banging.

That's the play it has. Don't think that's bad..

**my previous statement of the play being a 1/4 of an inch was way inaccurate.

Most likely 1/16 play

Determine for yourself. I was going to send this to GNS Performance for repair but I think it looks fine.

Last edited:
If the cam sensor is in spec, Did you try the - take the belt loose and see if the balancer wiggles? It's an 'easy' fix, just find a new stock balancer from the boards and slap it on.

If the cam sensor is in spec, Did you try the - take the belt loose and see if the balancer wiggles? It's an 'easy' fix, just find a new stock balancer from the boards and slap it on.
Yeah, nothing wiggled. I'm thinking maybe a bolt is loose somewhere. Don't think it's internal but only God knows at this point.

Does anyone know what the spec is for the cam sensor that I should measure to?

A while back I had a loud thumping sound and it was the IC hitting the sway bar. Check that as well. Many times you can feel it.

If those aren't it, and the converter bolts are tight, I'll say its rod bearing. Time to pull it. If homeboy did that to the fuel rail, I bet he beat on the bearings good too. Been a while, is it #1 and #3 rods that go first? Not a fun job, but maybe drop the oil pan and take a look first.

That's the play it has. Don't think that's bad..

**my previous statement of the play being a 1/4 of an inch was way inaccurate.

Most likely 1/16 play

Determine for yourself. I was going to send this to GNS Performance for repair but I think it looks fine.

that's still a chitload, shim it and put in back in service.