Tapping noise

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
Last week I replaced the intake gasket (and everything else along the way) to help curb the oil leaks. I drove it around Sunday and noted that it held gear a little longer than before due to TV cable adjustment compared to before. The shifts were good and crisp so I thought it was only better than before. I did hear a slight tapping once or twice after a hard run to 3rd gear, but the "noise" was too subtle and went away before I could attempt to investigate further.

Monday night it held 2nd gear until I let out and it may have overrevved. The tapping noise is not there when cold, but now constant warm and has the sound of a lifter problem. It is louder after warm up, and loudest at ~2000 rpm (or it seems that way). It will build noise and make the most noise when I lift the thottle at very light driving ~2000 rpm. To me it's bizarre that it gets louder when I lift.

engine unopened at 230k mile as far as I know.
no oil pressure gauge.
It's not a knock sound, but more of a tap.

I was going to pull the intake and start examining lifters, but wanted responses before my random search begins.

Thanks,
Scott

When a rod bearing is starting to go, it can act like that. Also, check your flexplate bolts. Cam lobe will do that too. Pull the valve covers and make sure the pushrods are spinning. Get an oil pressure gauge on it ASAP.