Taking the turbo off tomorrow...

John84GN

Nice Monte...
Well, I don't know if you guy's remember, but I bought the car from an original owner in the summer of 2001, and drove it the first day, and blew the turbo...:( I talked to the owner about it, and he said he just installed it about 300 miles prior to selling it to me...well...I asked WTF? He was VERY helpful in returning it, and getting me a new one...NO CHARGE!

Anyway, I think this one's going:rolleyes: (about 5000 miles on this one) It's making a sort of "bird chirping squeak" when the boost went from vaccuum to boost (right when my guage hit 0 boost to about 2psi, and then it went away, but it's definately getting worse. (take in mind that I'm running about 22 psi of boost w/ plenty of mods...see sig.) Well, now it's starting to make the sound at idle. I did a little homework, and pushed the emergency brake w/ the car running, and went under the hood and started to raise the idle. I'm guessing @ about 1500-2000 rpm, I don't hear the "squeak", but I definately hear what sounds like the impeller in one of the housings rattling against the housing. :(

I called John Craig about 3 weeks ago, and he said, from what I described, that the "guts" of the turbo are out of balance. He suggested to take it off, and see if anything is hitting in there, and to send it off to him, so he could take a look at it.

He said it would be much cheaper to fix this that to just upgrade to a TA-33c. If I'm going to spend, I'm guessing about $200-300, on fixing this...Is it worth it to just spend $800 on the upgrade?!?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...:confused:

This is a no brainer to me. Upgrade! You know you'll want to in the future, why waste $300 now? The hotair turbos are only good to 106mph traps and that's really maxed out. I blew two stockers at that speed. I would get the equivilent to a TA49 in the hotair housings. Not sure if the 33 really is a 49 in the hotair housing or not. I can't see why anyone would go smaller than a 49 considering how fast it spools. It will really wake the car up especially in the mid range and up top.

I can sell you a TE33C for $475 +shipping!

you got any pics of your car. Sounds decent and has some TV's and PS in it:eek: send me a link if u got one.

later,, steve