Taking a Stock Engine with Stock Turbo to the limit....

IMG_7109.JPG

IMG_7110.JPG

Fender dump and remove the exhaust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should log a run with a stretch slic for shits and gigglez..

Yeah lol. Not going to change the exhaust setup anytime soon with the external wastegate. The 3.5" dp shouldn't be too much of a restriction though...

Started doing some tuning last night with Paul. Didn't turn the boost up past 11, everything feels great. Hopefully will get out again soon and turn it up slowly.

Alternator wasn't putting out very good. Always seemed a little low but getting worse. Minor setback as Paul changed it out in like 5 minutes, getting almost 14V now.

After we get the boost up some more will have to do a pull and see where the converter is coupling. So far the indications are that it seems fine but we'll see.

Went out today with Paul for some tuning. Turned the boost up a couple pounds at a time while watching tune and doing some tweaks and ended up at around 18psi at the end. Easy to do this with an electronic boost controller and CO2 compared to stopping and tightening the wastegate like I used to do on a stocker. Power feels real good, hits hard down low. Converter seems to be coupling nice on the shifts but still need to see how it couples at the end of a full 1/4 pass. Only issue was my IAC went bad right at the end after we were done and about to call it a day. I was using a cheapo one from ebay, they might be more sensitive to alky and will have to keep an eye on this.

So here is a screengrab of a rolling pull through the gears. Boost is green, RPM is blue:

stock 18psi 1.jpg

Boost is nice and steady. Correction is good, rpms looks good (around 90mph or so). Backpressure is definitely higher than my HPQ71 on my old motor. I was only at 24psi backpressure at this boost on that setup. If I use a 1 psi pressure drop through my intercooler, the backpressure ratio is already 1.76. My turbine pressure sensor wasn't reading right but we know the wires got pulled on the swap for that sensor so have to fix that.

Here is the rpm drop on the 1-2 shift. I shifted at 4850 and it went down to 4150 for a 700rpm drop. I was worried the converter would be way too loose but it feels good on the shifts:

stock 18psi 2.jpg

Finally, here is the run with accelerometer data Z Acceleration turned on (its the top green one):

stock 18psi 3.jpg

Early in the run shows 0.81g acceleration while the other grabs showed 0.41g in 3rd gear. Seems to compare decently with some of my other logs on the old setup at low boost. Will have to see what kind of g force it can pull off of a tbrake hit. This should correlate pretty well with 60ft times and ultimately 1/8 mi et. Looks like I my shift seems pretty close to being on as the acceleration seems pretty continuous. If I shift at 5000 and its too high, the acceleration should jump after the shift. Will have to do some testing to find the optimal shift point but it seems close at 4850.

Last edited:
The harder you run it the more the backpressure will take its toll. Don't be surprised if you need to shift at 4700 when all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much to update as the weather hasn't been the best the last couple of weeks. Track cancelled last two weekends.

I did replace my external fuel pump though. I was running an Aeromotive Eliminator before, a step up from the A1000. Supports a lot of HP but its loud as hell, even mounted on rubber isolators. The stock engine and turbo is so quiet all I was hearing was the fuel pump at idle. I know I don't need near as much flow now and there are lots of cheap quiet external fuel pumps for this lower hp level. You don't se a lot of people using these in Buicks because they usually only go external at the highest hp levels. I have a small external pump in my truck too so I was familiar with them.

I went with an inline Walbro GSL392 255LPH high pressure pump, $108 with fittings.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl392-inline-fuel-255lph-pump.html

If you look at the chart in the description, it flows 42gph at 80psi and 12v. I have 42# inj that would have to be at 100% to hit that and I'm not anywhere close to that with alky. Its way more than I need and enough overhead if the voltage drops on a run.

Had to get the right adapters so it would plug into my current fuel line and filter setup, but it went smooth. I barely hear it running now, just a little high pitch sound that you have to listen for. So much more enjoyable. I doubt I will put the Aeromotive back in, they are so loud. Paul has a Weldon in his T Top car that is a lot quieter if I need to step up.

Not much to update as the weather hasn't been the best the last couple of weeks. Track cancelled last two weekends.

I did replace my external fuel pump though. I was running an Aeromotive Eliminator before, a step up from the A1000. Supports a lot of HP but its loud as hell, even mounted on rubber isolators. The stock engine and turbo is so quiet all I was hearing was the fuel pump at idle. I know I don't need near as much flow now and there are lots of cheap quiet external fuel pumps for this lower hp level. You don't se a lot of people using these in Buicks because they usually only go external at the highest hp levels. I have a small external pump in my truck too so I was familiar with them.

I went with an inline Walbro GSL392 255LPH high pressure pump, $108 with fittings.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl392-inline-fuel-255lph-pump.html

If you look at the chart in the description, it flows 42gph at 80psi and 12v. I have 42# inj that would have to be at 100% to hit that and I'm not anywhere close to that with alky. Its way more than I need and enough overhead if the voltage drops on a run.

Had to get the right adapters so it would plug into my current fuel line and filter setup, but it went smooth. I barely hear it running now, just a little high pitch sound that you have to listen for. So much more enjoyable. I doubt I will put the Aeromotive back in, they are so loud. Paul has a Weldon in his T Top car that is a lot quieter if I need to step up.
The 42s single walboro and twin m10s was enough for 10s at 3800lbs when I was running a 49.ed was using 42s and a single m10 when he was going 11.3 with the stock turbo but he was only using a little more than stock injectors worth of fuel.nice when the pump doesn't make noise;)

It finally got warm yesterday but also drizzling. Supposed to rain off and on for the next few days. Should wash all the salt off the roads at least.

Bad news is that my IAC driver went bad on my XFI. Already sent it back to FAST. Hopefully get it back next week after the rain stops. The IAC plug end was changed and still need to rule out a short in the wires so it doesn't take out the XFI again. Had a low battery a couple weeks ago and made the alky run nonstop with engine off and may have shorted out the IAC to cause the issue. So hopefully get this sorted out. The only good part about it is the track hasn't opened yet with the cold weather and now rain so haven't missed anything. Each year recently been teased with decent weather but track has been lucky to open before April.

I think it's a good move Murph, you can at least enjoy the car on the street much more often now as well...

if your just trying to beat the 11.37 and the qualifier is stock turbo .. its pretty easy when you shed 600 pounds off a car

Agreed.

First ever passes on the combo tonight. Still here at the track!

1st pass a soft launch and 20psi boost.

IMG_7385.JPG

2nd pass, added a lb of boost and left harder. Broke up a little up top, maybe a spark plug or valve spring. Idled fine afterwards but log shows rpm breaking up a little after the 1/8th. Right lane. :)

IMG_7388.JPG

First ever passes on the combo tonight. Still here at the track!

1st pass a soft launch and 20psi boost.

View attachment 303164

2nd pass, added a lb of boost and left harder. Broke up a little up top, maybe a spark plug or valve spring. Idled fine afterwards but log shows rpm breaking up a little after the 1/8th. Right lane. :)

View attachment 303165
Looking like your headed for the record pretty quick