Tailights not working?

Odog87

When I turn the light on my headlights come on but not my tail lights, but as soon as you tap the brake they work. Now are there two sets of bulbs inside the tail lights? could this be a blown fuse? Or just faulty wiring? Any info will be helpful thanks.

the brakes have dual filliment bulbs in them so there are two bulbs in one. Its unlikely that all would burn out at once. Mine had a similar issue, it turned out to be the turn signal switch. Apparently the brakes on this car run through it.

More than likely it is the problem common to these cars. Under the dash, right over the steering column, there is a wiring connector. Because the wires take a sharp bend on one side of the connector, the WHITE wire usually frays and causes this to happen.

This happened to me- The white wire was completely frayed and corroded near the connetor. I simply cut both white wires at the connector, and spliced them together directly with a solderless wire connector.

Simply and quick to fix, You do need to remove the guage bezel and plastic cover over the top of the steering column to get at it.

Hope this helps!

John

See this is why i'm glad to be a member of this forum, I never would have guessed that. I bought new bulbs and fuses so I gonna swap those first, and if it doesn't work Ill look under the dash. One question....I was told I needed the old school tube fuses so I picked some up and i'm not sure where they go.....

Yeah tube fuses did dounds odd...they where cheap so I bought them anyway....Ima go outside and investigate now.....How you liking that te-44?

ok How do you remove thae guage bezel and plastic cover over the top of the steering column to get to it....is it thru the lil metric bolts on the dash overlay?

The bezel is held in place with spring clips. Pull on it gently and it will start popping out

Bryan

I'm having a different problem that I haven't started to track down yet. My brake lights work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights, the fuse blows to the tail lamp running lights and instrument panel lights. Brake lights and headlights work fine.

I think it started about the time I replaced the blinker lever. I'll start there to find my short. I wouldn't have thought to look there without this thread.

When I turn the light on my headlights come on but not my tail lights, but as soon as you tap the brake they work. Now are there two sets of bulbs inside the tail lights? could this be a blown fuse? Or just faulty wiring? Any info will be helpful thanks.

do your dash lights come on? if not, it is a fuse. been there.

Something you might want to check.

In the trunk compartment on the drivers side there are ground wires for the tail/brake lights,you have to raise up the corner of the matting to see them.

if your +1 on the dash lights. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was the cause of the dash lights going out and then one night a guy at a stoplight told me my brake running lights were off but stoplights worked. it was not the dash gauge fuse but the actual brake lamp fuse. I think its a 20 amp (whatever the yellow one is) .