TA49

mikemcvaney

Reed is suposed to be done with my turbo tomorrow. He is builing a ta 49 I think unless he changed it supposed to send me pics will post them when they arrive. Almost done finally only a few more parts. Mike

Well it won't exactly be a TA49 but it should have the guts of one. I'm guessing he's using the original stock turbo housings?

Well it won't exactly be a TA49 but it should have the guts of one. I'm guessing he's using the original stock turbo housings?
Post pics of the housing. The stock compressor housing has a really small diffuser. The radius on the t04e 60 trim is probably larger than the diffuser.

He told me once I get the turbo to send him my core housings there are 3 sets in the garage, he wants the ones with damage because it is getting hogged out for his apps

He told me once I get the turbo to send him my core housings there are 3 sets in the garage, he wants the ones with damage because it is getting hogged out for his apps
It is suposed to be a carbed equivalant of a TA49 thats why he is doing it do not know anything about turbo sizing nor do I want to leave it to you guys. mike

Post pics of the housing. The stock compressor housing has a really small diffuser. The radius on the t04e 60 trim is probably larger than the diffuser.
I am going to have to got to Charlies turbo page to figure out what you just said I am turbo handicapped.

I'm running something similar. It's a stock turbo with larger impellers on both sides. I picked up mph, but really lost a lot on the bottom end. Very hard to build boost on the line.

I'm considering going back to the stock turbine and making something like a T3/T4 hybrid. If I could build boost like the stock turbo, but keep some of the mph gains, I'd be very, very happy.

I can send you Reed's number Rich. He's looking for a few test vehicles and since you're who you are then it would be a great way to do some testing.

I'm running something similar. It's a stock turbo with larger impellers on both sides. I picked up mph, but really lost a lot on the bottom end. Very hard to build boost on the line.

I'm considering going back to the stock turbine and making something like a T3/T4 hybrid. If I could build boost like the stock turbo, but keep some of the mph gains, I'd be very, very happy.
Do you know the size of the impellars on your turbo now ?

I don't doubt that it would spool. Mikes motor and mine are fairly similar and not stock. Ported heads, bigger cam, ect. Put a decent stall on it and it should spool right up.

Hopefully I will test one of Reeds turbo's soon. Im just holding off until I get my headers on and rear end in.

nitrous is all i can say. when AJ was here he had issues with spooling the turbo up. that's why he was using a small shot. dang i wish AJ was still here.

I don't know the size of the impellers. I bought the turbo from Fred Carrado. When I swap the turbines, I'll measure them.

My 3.8 long block is totally stock, but I am runnig a high stall convertor. It was already a 2500 when I first put the turbo on. Everyone siad going higher would help it build boost, so I invested in a 3000 stall converter, but no imporvement.

The a/r on ex housing is too much for snappy spool up. It wasnt designed to spool fast. If you could get the .63 off an 84 up it would spool considerably faster.

The a/r on ex housing is too much for snappy spool up. It wasnt designed to spool fast. If you could get the .63 off an 84 up it would spool considerably faster.
Not gonna argue one little bit here. If it was a V8 then the .82 AR would probibly work fine but with the stock housing it kills the spool so badly even a high stall converter will not get you where you want to be.

Not gonna areu one little bit here. If it was a V8 then the .82 AR would probibly work fine but with the stock housing it kills the spool so badly even a high stall converter will not get you where you want to be.
The proper converter would but it is not cheap.

I believe it already is a 0.63 A/R (although I should double check). 0.63's were available in 1982 & 83.

I would have a difficult time bolting up a housing from a 1984 turbo. The mounting provisions and the wastegate elbow are very different.

I don't know the size of the impellers. I bought the turbo from Fred Carrado. When I swap the turbines, I'll measure them.

My 3.8 long block is totally stock, but I am runnig a high stall convertor. It was already a 2500 when I first put the turbo on. Everyone siad going higher would help it build boost, so I invested in a 3000 stall converter, but no imporvement.
Thanks for the stall tip. Mike

I believe it already is a 0.63 A/R (although I should double check). 0.63's were available in 1982 & 83.

I would have a difficult time bolting up a housing from a 1984 turbo. The mounting provisions and the wastegate elbow are very different.

Went and checked, it already is the 0.63 A/R.

I should be able to pop the compressor off and put it on the stock turbo to get a 'hybrid'.

I don't know the size of the impellers. Carrado. When I swap the turbines, I'll measure them.

Whats a 3000 stall like on the street? How does it affect your lockup and all around drivability?