Ta perf headers cracked!! Wtf!!!!

Yes I have the j bracket... Checked and double checked clearances, etc...I have a test pipe with cutout, so no option for a flex pipe.... Had the header welded by a certified welder at work... He called me today and said that the problem was caused by the welds being too wide because the holes in the main log were too big where the port tubes joined, so there was a wide gap that was filled with weld, in addition to the metal being soft.....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes I have the j bracket... Checked and double checked clearances, etc...I have a test pipe with cutout, so no option for a flex pipe.... Had the header welded by a certified welder at work... He called me today and said that the problem was caused by the welds being too wide because the holes in the main log were too big where the port tubes joined, so there was a wide gap that was filled with weld, in addition to the metal being soft.....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I wouldn't buy that the reason it cracked was the weld was too wide. Mild steel is very soft compared to any grade of stainless. Whenever I've seen cracks it was always to the side of the weld. Not through the weld. Wide, thin whatever. The maternal used and the amount of heat in the part when welding makes a difference for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are they GN1 or TA?

Attachments

• 1404943011118.jpg
    1404943011118.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 157
I agree with Bison. The heat affected zone (HAZ) of the base metal is what often gets stressed and ends up cracking.
EDIT: I'm just talking about carbon steel in general, not any brand or specific product.

Last edited:
I have seen a set of mild steel TA headers crack on the passenger side header on a daily driver that really gets the miles as well as raced alot. The SS I have yet to see.