TA perf. alum block question

I would have to dig to find it but I have a good article in Turbo magazine on Kenny D's car.They interview him and give a build on the car and dyno numbers.At that time it was the same motor he had run in the Buick (7.30's) and due to the much improved aerodynamics of the Oldsmobile body alone he was able to run in the 6's.

Geno...I don't think it was luck...I think it was determination!

:)

I suspect you are correct on the timing....

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Geno...I don't think it was luck...I think it was determination!

:)

I suspect you are correct on the timing....

Thanks
Steve and a Merry Christmas to you:)
Your right ,my car was going to hit a 9 if i had to strap it on my back to do it.The only bad thing is i need a new goal now:rolleyes: Maybe it will be to see how far my 200 trans and stock rearend can go behind the S2 off center im going to build:D

I would like to post my .02 cents worth on this block.

I think if he can produce a nice piece and keep the price in the range that they are talking about it would be unbelievable.

I bought a Shelby block a while back for a big block FE ford project I am working on and after the head studs were bought and a little hone work was done to the cylinders. I had just spent almost 6000.00 dollars.

So I think a 2500.00 aluminum stg block would be nice indeed.
Dale

TA alum block

I just want to say thanks for all the information before this thread gets longer than a hores dream ;) I cant wait til I can put one of those blocks in my indylights car. have a merryxmas all. thanks Rich sadler

"Duttweiler's High-Tech Buick Blasts a 7.29"

Turbo & High-Tech performance March 1999

Like i said in my previous post i remember reading an article or a news letter that said Buick 6 hits 6 or something like that, and that he did it with a buick stage 2 V-6 in an oldsmobbile body. At those speeds aerodynamics play a huge part, and with the improved aerodynamics of the oldsmobile body and not many other changes (from the red GN he ran the motor in) was able to knock off a 6 sec time slip.

It also should be noted that the reason i deceided to go ahead and buy my stage motor (besides the $2800 complete motor i found...was able to use block, heads, rods , and crank) is that they are making the block to withstand 1000 hp. A stage 2 block has been proven past 1400hp. I think everyone here would love to see the new alluminum block handle 2000hp, but when your spending this kinda money, i'll go stage for now and let someone who can afford to be the ginneau pig do the testing. If the product is good, than i'm sure he'll make money, if not then its back to the drawing board, but i don't think anyone will ever be letting their stage 2motors collect dust in some remote corner of their garages.

I believe the red car was an automatic as well, he ran a liberty and a GForce clutchless 5 speed in the Olds (just like Ingersoll ran a Lenco), the red car was not 25.1c which is required to run 7.50 or faster the Olds is which I believe was the main reason for the change, the expense to convert a sportsman chassis to a 25.1c is phenominal to say the least.
And I said in my last post the BUICK V6 in the Olds was a limited production hybrid that used BBC and Olds pieces. The two main advantages to this are the strength of the BBC splayed caps and the crank is not shielded by the oil pan mounting rails such as a Buick block has which creates a great amount of windage, robbing HP.
Bill

So, correct me if I'm wrong....

-The TA alum block will be 3.8L displacement
-Will be able to utilize stock stuff and will have its own specially ground cranks, rods, etc.
Anything else?
Nick, keep it coming brother, I'm a sponge about this Project. And Geno, I envy you man. Later

Hey Rich !!! Are you thinking what I am thinking ???
How much weight would that take off an Indy Car?? From 1300lbs to what ? But would the torsional stiffness be there ?
Thats the part that bothers me. In an Indy Car the block becomes part of the chassis. It ties the whole car together.
Let me know what your thoughts are.

TA alum block

Hey pops chevy whats up? Most of deez guys are dragster guys so its cool to see a few roadracers. But it would be cool to dial in 1000-1200 hp in a indycar, but I would be calling hewland every month for a complete gearbox. I think it would be worth a shot to try a alum block in our cars. Oh by the way I need your address again so E-mail me. Thanks

Re: So, correct me if I'm wrong....

Originally posted by HossV6
-The TA alum block will be 3.8L displacement
-Will be able to utilize stock stuff and will have its own specially ground cranks, rods, etc. Anything else?
Nick, keep it coming brother, I'm a sponge about this Project. And

The block initially will be a 3.8 and utilize stock "stuff". Enough meat will be included in the casting to make it a 4.1 and do a raised cam version. This will be done later as the CNC program is developed.

Talking with Mike today, he said the patterns should be finalized in a couple weeks. It will then go to the foundry. The bottle neck will be in-house to fit the machining in the present schedule for his 2 CNC machines. They are busy steady on 2 shifts with heads, covers, intakes, etc.

He does have some valve covers finished, and the program partially done for the V-6 head. Am very impressed with his progress on the head and will be anxious to try a set. They initially will be fitted with T&D paired shaft rockers on a steel girdle. As Mike said "this will be the last set of heads you will ever have to buy"!

I do want to interject a personal comment about this project and all our Buick vendors. The block project probably will not be a profit center for T/A like other projects that vendors have undertaken. If we want to have parts, and development to continue, we MUST support these vendors.

If we give our business to say Summit, rather than a Buick vendor, because we can save a couple dollars on that part, our vendors will find other profitable means to survive. Then we can all drive Chevs or Fords instead of Buicks as parts will not be available or developed for Buicks.

In the near future, T/A is looking to be able to furnish a complete performance V-6 motor, steel crank, pistons, rods, heads, intake and other parts necessary to keep us competitive. Other items like bearings and gaskets are being looked at as current suppliers are discontinuing production on some of these items. If you want to be competitive on the street or strip, we need to seriously look at supporting our current Buick vendors.

Nick, youre preaching to the choir in this forum. I have been saying that for several years now as vendor after vendor falls by the wayside and people sit around and scratch their heads wondering why. If you want to get this point across, you need to go to the forums where the common man posts because one thing I've found is that if the average Buick guy can save a dollar going around the vendor, he'll do it with no remorse. In the long run, this is very bad for us the enthusiasts and I wish more people would realize that.

As someone who has developed quite a few parts for these cars, when I see Joe Average knocking off someone else's part to save themself $10.00 it totally takes away the incentive to innovate anything. While the average guy can't make a block in his back yard, I think the same principle applies.

I think it's safe to say that most people in this forum buy a good bit of their stuff from the vendors. I know I probably buy 80% of my stuff from various vendors and haven't bought anything from Summit or Jegs in a quite a while.

Thanks Nick! I'll be stickin around for my share of the pie, so don't worry. JayC, I hear ya. I've bough 70% of the stuff for my buick from OUR vendors. The other 30 was from fellow buick enthusiasts. WHEN I get lucky and hit the 100+ million dollar powerball lottery, I'll be sure that the buicks will live on forever:) .

I spoke to TA about the block project about a month ago. They said that the release of one of these production blocks has been pushed back to July/August 2002 and that the price was going to be "slightly" higher than previously thought. They said it would be more in the $3300-$3500 price range, not $2500 as previously stated. That "slight" bump in price convinced me to go Stage 2 rather than wait.

Re: Re: So, correct me if I'm wrong....

Originally posted by Nick Micale

If we give our business to say Summit, rather than a Buick vendor, because we can save a couple dollars on that part, our vendors will find other profitable means to survive. Then we can all drive Chevs or Fords instead of Buicks as parts will not be available or developed for Buicks.

I look at this comment, and have the same thoughts about Home Depot and Lowes. I support my local hardware store whenever possible. I don't care about a couple of dollars. If we put the small guy out of business, we won't have the choice to go anywhere else, and you will see customer service drop, and you'll end up doing everything yourself.

I will apply this thought to Summit/Jegs.