TA headers...???

noahzark

is the jet hot coating needed on the mild steel version of these headers?...or the stainless for that matter...is it just a matter of having them run cooler or...guess im asking if the mild ones will do or is there no way around spending 900 ...thanks noah.

the coating will help the heat but on the mild steel units it will help a lot in the rusting area too. dave

Noah,

If you are serious about getting some headers, give me a call. We may be able to work something out.

ok clayton...think i have ur number at home...also meeting is tues ...tomorrow but im sure you already know might see you there...noah.

IIRC Jason Cramer (RJC racing) posted , where he measured header temps with Jethot and a spot where the Jethot had been grinded off (for a repair). Hardly any temp difference.

The heat-insulating properties of jethot seems highly over-rated. I would look at it mainly for providing high-temperature, rust-resisting, cosmetic qualities.

The stainless headers are only slightly more expensive than mild steel + coating, SS will probably last longer, and SS for sure is easier to repair/weld.

IIRC Jason Cramer (RJC racing) posted , where he measured header temps with Jethot and a spot where the Jethot had been grinded off (for a repair). Hardly any temp difference.

The heat-insulating properties of jethot seems highly over-rated. I would look at it mainly for providing high-temperature, rust-resisting, cosmetic qualities.

Don't think so. Personaly, I have used Jet Hot for almost 20 years, and will testify to the heat retention abilities of their coatings ( I coat inside/outside ). Function is formost, and cosmetics are a bonus. Try working around your headers after a pass with out Jet Hot ( or some other thermal coating ) and you'll quickly find the difference. Brian

Bud has a 460 in his dually and he got the Hooker Super Comps jet hot coated.

You can grab the headers less than 30 mins after you turn the engine off ...I was shocked.

So they have to do something as far as underhood temps go.

I found the thread :
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/152562-180-vs-160-degree-thermostat.html
Go down to post # 22 :
... There is a section on the headers of my personal car that we had to sand blast the thermal coating off to do some repair. Now i have an uncoated section and a coated section side by side in the same header. This is a perfect way of measuring the effectiveness of the coating. Using an infrared pyrometer you can measure the temp of both sections. The result? Not one degree difference....
I suppose YMMV ...

I respect what Jason has contributed to our sport, but I don't believe he is an authority on ceramic coatings. As for his testing, he states the coated and ground areas were side by side. This could definitely allow radiant heat from the uncouted area to influence the "infrared pyrometer" readings over the coated areas----who knows. Bottom line, coatings do work. I have experienced this first hand for many years. If guys don't believe, than that's OK. As for me, I'm sold. My engine bay is cooler, it's that simple!:cool:

Also, if the headers were coated inside and out and the coating was only ground/sandblasted away from the outside then it still has a ceramic coat on the inside which is still providing insulation. Just a thought.

As I mentioned , "YMMV" -- it seems there are many confounding variables involved.

I also noted on that same long thread, post # 16 :
... even though we have just everything under the hood coated on our cars. We tried to measure the difference and could not find any reduction underhood temperatures reguardless of manufactures claims...

FWIW, I am planning to get my stock headers ceramic-coated mainly for appearance and corrosion-proofing, and if I get a temp reduction, it's a bonus.

Also, if the headers were coated inside and out and the coating was only ground/sandblasted away from the outside then it still has a ceramic coat on the inside which is still providing insulation. Just a thought.
Very good point.

Although it would seem to conflict with
Quote:
... even though we have just everything under the hood coated on our cars. We tried to measure the difference and could not find any reduction underhood temperatures reguardless of manufactures claims...
Many variables ...

I respect what Jason has contributed to our sport, but I don't believe he is an authority on ceramic coatings. As for his testing, he states the coated and ground areas were side by side. This could definitely allow radiant heat from the uncouted area to influence the "infrared pyrometer" readings over the coated areas----who knows. Bottom line, coatings do work. I have experienced this first hand for many years. If guys don't believe, than that's OK. As for me, I'm sold. My engine bay is cooler, it's that simple!:cool:

I agree 100%.