TA block & gn1 oil issue

tom j

I seem to getting allot of oil in the valve covers, I'm assuming why it has this breather setup. Wouldn't this be easier and safer to put a catch can in. This also maybe explains the valve cover leak. Has anybody had problem with to much in the top of the engine.

I seem to getting allot of oil in the valve covers, I'm assuming this why the previous owner has this breather setup. Wouldn't this be easier and safer to put a catch can in. This also maybe explains the valve cover leak. Has anybody had problem with to much in the top of the engine.

The TA block has oil drain holes just like the stock block. They do look small though, and would think the oil might build up in the valve cover. I was told that they are drilling more additional holes to help with this problem.

john

The early blocks did not have enough drain back passages.

We added holes and modified the block, heads and gaskets so we no longer have this issue, especially at high RPM. :)

Subscribed

I don't want to steal Tom's thread but could Nick clarify what constitutes an early block (mine is 2004). and possibily elaborate on the fix for them. Congrats to Tom on his new ride.

The early blocks only had 2 bolts for the engine mounts and the newer ones have 3, I'm sure there are other ways to tell them apart.

When I mocked up my TA block, I opened up the drain back holes in the head and the block as well as the head gasket (some of the gasket was also blocking this area). I also used a .040" hole in the push rods to restrict oil flow and an Isky solid lifter which has a small circular groove at the oil hole feed that shuts off the oil as the lifter moves up and down (the Comp lifters have a wide groove that never really shuts off the oil). At one point I was thinking of adding an -AN fitting at the back of the head and installing a braided line to assist the drain back.
Jeff

........... could Nick clarify what constitutes an early block (mine is 2004). and possibily elaborate on the fix for them..........

What Jeff posted is mainly what we have done. In addition, we open the drain back holes in the valley to about 3 times the original size.

Using the Isky lifters has been a big help, and they are also better in many respects like being able to use a shorter pushrod. :smile:

Well for now since I have no plans in the near future of opening up the motor what do guys of using a catch can coming of the breathers. One for each side.

Good point. What are you guys seeing for hot oil pressure @ 160deg. I'm seeing about 35-40psi.

The answer to the question is YES!! You need breathers on the engine , or a vacuum pump to suck the blow by out of the engine. If you stick with breathers ,put a breather tank (moroso makes a good one) on each side and get rid of the oil puke hose at the rear end:eek: Mike:cool:

GN1's have always had an oil pooling problem in the valve cover. the drain is higher than the valve cover rail.

another problem is when installing a valley style intake gasket and not bending up the area where the turbo drain shoots in.