TA 6262bb Build Suggestions

wantattype2

I am looking for suggestion on building an engine to get the full potential out of a TA 6262bb turbo in the class of Turbo Stock Appearing. To be competitive it would have to be capable of 11.40 to 10.90 ET range by the pace those guys are setting. What would your suggestions be for Compression Ratio, Cam size, roller or flat tappet, would it need to be a stroker engine, could you do it with Champion ported Iron Heads or would you need more porting? Starting from scratch here, let me here your ideas !

I would build a stroker short block with around 10:1 CR and a low duration custom roller cam with less than .530 lift. Champion heads would be fine but you will need to think about the springs if you use the most effective lobes out there. I would also run the 65/66 ex wheel and plan on running 10.6-10.7. The converter would probably be something that is not usually spec for these cars based on the fact that you need it coupling at a low rpm. Id just call Dusty for it. You will need to pull gear, keep the rpm down and use a lot of cylinder pressure to get the car to run the number. The intercooler will cause a big pressure drop. Build around it.

LOL...Bison, that looks great on the screen or on paper. None of them have ran in the 10's yet. Look at the rules and you will see why 10.6-10.7 seems a bit out of reach.

LOL...Bison, that looks great on the screen or on paper. None of them have ran in the 10's yet. Look at the rules and you will see why 10.6-10.7 seems a bit out of reach.
The rules aren't attractive but the potential is there for someone who wants to build a dedicated engine for it. Trying to get the compressor to make boost with the inlet restriction is a challenge

First let me say Thank You for the replies, I am new to the turbo cars and appreciate the shared knowlege from the members here ! I guess what shocked me is the 10:1 CR on a turbo charged car, would this motor have to have a steady diet of 116 fuel to be driven on the street?

110 octane, low boost, and timing for street driving to be on the safe side. E85 would be nice but I would have to see the rules again to see if the components needed would fit and if its available near you. I'm sure Kip or Red Armstrong can be very helpful in the project if you decide to go through with it. Its that the only class that interest you?

. . . . I guess what shocked me is the 10:1 CR on a turbo charged car, would this motor have to have a steady diet of 116 fuel to be driven on the street?

As a rule of thumb, for every point in STATIC CR, you will add/subtract 2.5 points under boost.
Example (effective CR, calculated);
10:1+ 23 PSI boost, 25.6:1

A good running stock TR is typically;
8:1 + 16PSI boost, 16.7:1

As VE increases, cylinder pressure will increase, and pressures increase.
ALL the variables have to be taken into account on such a project.

The TSA cars running 123MPH are putting down around 540 WHP. :eek: :cool:

First let me say Thank You for the replies, I am new to the turbo cars and appreciate the shared knowlege from the members here ! I guess what shocked me is the 10:1 CR on a turbo charged car, would this motor have to have a steady diet of 116 fuel to be driven on the street?

In your op you stated you wanted to run in TSA. The things I mentioned are just basic things that could be done to make more power or be able to use it better. If you're serious about TSA you're not worried about running 116 or better fuel. You need to find power. You may need to cut up a few intercoolers to see if you can get more flow out of one. You may need to try a few cam profiles and play with the timing a little. You may wind up with something no one else has. You can't be successful in a class like that doing what everyone else has done already. You need to think way out side and make the best of your restrictions. There are 9:1 naturally aspirated engines out there under 500ci with factory equipment, block, heads, carburetors, and cam restrictions running 9.80's. About 2 seconds faster than what you would typically see tooling around that has crazy aftermarket stuff visible all over it and 11:1 or better CR. R&D plays a huge role. These guys aren't as quick as they are by accident.

Probably want to re-think the Champion heads if you do in fact want to run TSA. If I remember right, they engrave their name on the side of the head? That'll get you DQ'd from racing.

Just want to say Thanks for all the Great Information guys! Bison I see what you are saying, to run up front in TSA you will need a dedicated engine with a purpose built car and deep pockets ! TSA is an attractive class from the outside, (Looking so Stock and going that fast) but I can see there are more cost effective ways to run those ETs. This will take so careful consideration.

Just want to say Thanks for all the Great Information guys! Bison I see what you are saying, to run up front in TSA you will need a dedicated engine with a purpose built car and deep pockets ! TSA is an attractive class from the outside, (Looking so Stock and going that fast) but I can see there are more cost effective ways to run those ETs. This will take so careful consideration.
$$$$$$$$$

Probably want to re-think the Champion heads if you do in fact want to run TSA. If I remember right, they engrave their name on the side of the head? That'll get you DQ'd from racing.
You can order a set with no advertising in them

....and the head bolts have to be factory, all the hose clamps, bolts, nuts, wires have the be factory. It has to look just like it did when it rolled off the assembly line down to the markings on the bolts. Once it got that crazy about the rules.......I lost interest.

Spoke with Tom at Champion cyl heads this week, he said they will be making a run of cyl heads without the Logo in 2 weeks if anyone needs a set.