Ta-49

Daniel Lane

What's the best setup to get the maximum results out of a it. I've read and got some ideas. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

86 Grand National, Hotwire kit, glowshift gauges, more asap.

alky , sticky tires, 2800-3000 converter, dutt neck, trans that will hold up , brakes to build boost .. tune
when going mid 11s and a little lower with good air isnt enough .. port heads and get a little more

If you could buy the best of the best. What would you get pacecarta?

you dont need best the stock can pretty much utilize the 49 as is
stock with list above i was good to 117mph
with a pte fmic and ported heads ive seen 10s at 121mph

did a buddies GN ttop and with stock short block added pte fmic ,212 flat tappet cam ,alky , th downpipe and protorque 3000-3200LU converter , ported heads , hi-pro trans rebuild (no billet) , 50# inj , mt 275/60 drs on a tt street chip he went 11.2@ 119 at 19-20 psi with a 1.52 60' , before the cam he ran a 10.96 at 121 with a 1.63 60' but had boost at 26psi

another buddie has alky rebuilt trans , 2800 LU west coast converter , fender dump , dutt neck , edelbrock cam , 50s same streeet chip as above, MT DRs 255/50-16 and rest is stock even suspension is stock with an air bag in a heavy Limited he regularly runs 1.55 60' 11.5 114 mph and has been 11.3s

Last edited:
I'm gonna get all that most likely. I want as low numbers as possible. WhAt did that run your friend?

I ran high 10's with a 49 a long time ago,highest mph 125 usually 119 to 121 depending on the tune up and air.stock motor with the stock head mildly ported and 1.65 td rockers on the stock cam I believe 100lb valve springs.i also ran a hi-pro trans with a lockup 10.5 protorque converter with a 4.10 rear gear.on drag radials the car would 60ft high 1.4s.the turbo had no more boost to give and would vary with airtemp from 26/27psi to 30psi,i had high timing from 26 to 32 degrees with race gas and duel nozzles with 42 lb injectors,3 inch exhaust.my car was heavy and had its tongue out on those passes inmo the turbo is a great mid/low 11 sec turbo and works fantastic with the stock motor.i do know of a car bone stock motor running 11.2 118,and al tinman went high 10s unopened on race gas 30+psi around 3500lbs weight.

blue tops, xp pump,thdp,3000 stall,shift kit no yoyo,boxed arms,air bags,hot wire kit,cold air kit,volt booster ,scanmaster, adj reg,good tires255-275
x60DR
^TUNE IT

No wastegate and engine rpm kept between 4400 and 4800 through the pass. Timing and a/f needs to be correct. It will trap high 1 teens. In good air even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see a few ideas. Nice to know a ta-49 can produce pretty good numbers. So what kit would yall guys use to rebuild the trans? Mine is busted.

Hey guys im new to turbos. I have 87 gn alky te49 40lb injectors hooker header e cut outs dyno 377 at wheels. They say thats capable 11s street tires i cant seem to launch with cooper cobras im a rookie at this.

The 49 is a great Responsive turbo. I have been running it on my car for 6 years and just took it off cause I wanted to go faster. I went into the high elevens with mine with ported irons.(Will be posted for sale soon after freshening) Make sure the converter is right and you will have fun.

Hey guys im new to turbos. I have 87 gn alky te49 40lb injectors hooker header e cut outs dyno 377 at wheels. They say thats capable 11s street tires i cant seem to launch with cooper cobras im a rookie at this.

For street tires, you are going to want drag radials. 275/60's or 255/60's. Real street tires are much tougher to 60ft.

With Race gas, TA49, Thrasher 108 for Bluetops, Dutt Neck intercooler and THDP my car went 11.53@118 through the 2.5" ultraflows on BFGDR's.

For traction, right side airbag.

Glad to see a few ideas. Nice to know a ta-49 can produce pretty good numbers. So what kit would yall guys use to rebuild the trans? Mine is busted.

Give one our supporting venders(dave husek) a call. They(he) can set you up with what you need and provide service and tech after the sale. If your drum is good, you need a good(carbon) band, I put red clutches in the direct(3rd) and went tans in the rest. Larger boost and rev boost valves and spring. There are things that can be done to the vb on the cheap or you can buy a kit. A good torque converter(Dave can hook you up, or Dusty or one of our supporters) is also a big part of laying down a good number.
Traction is the next big factor. Drag radials, slicks, something sticky and you can hook it up.
A trans cooler while you are wrenching to cool that new trans.
Valve springs, fuel system, spring cleaning stuff(no exhaust leaks or vac leaks).
1,2,3...GO!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk