TA-49, what is your E.T. and mph?

HossV6

Hey guys/gals... it's been a while. Just wondering what is being done with the ol' TA-49 these days. I'm hoping to get my trans rebuilt soon and get some long-awaited (2+ years) runs at the track this spring. Hoping for mid-high 11s at 25psi and the SMC alcohol running wide open. Also, traps near 120 would be great if possible. Last i heard, 11.80s seemed to be the barrier for TA-49 and stock heads/cam.

So, what are your bests?

Thanks

I went 12.0@115 with a TA49, 3" MDP, Hooker catback, blue tops, 2800 convertor on 26/10.5 ET Streets. This was at 23psi on VP 110. Since then, I've swapped the blue tops for a set of 50's (along with a Turbotweak chip for 50's) and am running ~25psi. Both chips locked the TCC at around 70-75mph. I'd guess the car is trapping around 118-119mph because it definitely picked up a few mph. 100% bone stock longblock, stock TB, valvesprings, etc..
I'm hoping to get it to the track before changing the entire combo this spring, but the weather here in the NE hasn't been too great.
S.

11.53 and 118.31 , 23 psi with a T108 on 275/60 DR's. Motor was 90+K mile stock with 5K mile stock valves springs.

You really need 27-28" tires and a to run over 115 mph without mega boost. More injector is a good idea, too.

11.80's are pretty easy. I did those with the stock elbow and intercooler (no big neck).

11.86 @ 114 mph

24 lbs of boost

Alky

28 inch M/T slicks

1.64 60 ' time

42 lb Bosche injectors

Stock TB / Heads / Block / Big Neck Intercooler

Tires are killing me.
When I was running the blue tops, I could actually feel the car run out of RPM about 100-150 feet before the traps.
Seems like with the 50's, it doesn't happen. However, I am running more boost and timing.
S.

With ported heads. Closed exhaust 49 turbo.
36 pnd. injecters. Went 12.18 at 20 pnds. and McCreay street slicks on stock rims. So I figure 11's should be no problem.

Incase you where wondering why I babied it. Thought I was going to keep it.

Car was stolen. Loved that 49. May put one on my new working in progress Limited. HTH"ed

i have a 44, but its pretty close, i ran 12.041 at 112 at 19 psi and a testa 93 octane chip with 20* timing. That was on nitto 275/60s and a race weight of a whalish 3800:)

Lookin good guys, thanks. So 12 flats should be no problem then... DRs and a new posi unit are also awaiting install.

11.90 should be more than enough to take care of 80% of what runs around here..... there's a guy with a supercharged 5.0 that i think has a little lesson coming to him ;)

Just some background info since i've got a little time to kill....
I was tuning the TA-49 on my car right after i got it and the alky a couple of years ago..... after a few runs and approaching 22-23psi with no knock i was feeling happy. The difference between 17psi and 23psi was unreal, so i wanted a few more. I was confident i could hit 25 psi with no knock. BUT THEN..... on the next run, i got into it in second gear seeing if i got any knock and it hit the rev limiter and wouldn't go into third. I backed off thinking it was a freak thing. It wasn't. Go to drive it back home and the sucker starts skipping gears.... the trans was shot. And she's been parked ever since. I was very dissapointed, i figured the 200-4R could take more than that... the car was bone stock up until 86,000miles, when my mother gave it to me (she's the original owner, and had all routine maintenance done on schedule). I guess some are good and some aren't.

Any more results out there?

i haven't been to a 1/4 mile track yet but i have run 7.53@93mph on 19psi of boost with launching at 7psi with a crappy 1.73 60". but my 36lbs. were maxed out so i could not turn the boost up any more, time to move to 50's.