Ta-49 Or Te-44

I am going after a TE44 myself. From research and others opinions, it is better to me than the 49. More HP and airflow. I believe it spools easier. I have been told it is the biggest turbo you can put on a stock engine. Only you have to upgrade the injectors to feed it.

However, it doesn't have that stock appearance. The 49 looks like the stocker on the outside. I like the external appearance of the 44.
Take a look here :
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/TE44vsstock.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/TA49.html

Others may have different opinions, and probably know more about them. Hopefully someone will chime in and give you more than a beginners view.

They are virtually the same. One is stock appearing (TA49), the other is not (TE44). The actual horsepower difference between them on a buick may be less than 5 HP.

I went 11.53 @ 118+ with a 100% stock, 95K mile longblock, Stock D5 torque converter on drag radials in a 3600lb race weight TR @ 23 psi of boost using a Garrett Turbine housing TA49 with a hand port matched Stock cast inlet bell.

It all depends if you like the stock appearance or not.

zeus87gn said:
I am going after a TE44 myself. From research and others opinions, it is better to me than the 49. More HP and airflow. I believe it spools easier.

A Garrett Housing TE44 or TA49 will "Spool Easier" than a similar TE44 or TA49 with a PTE turbine housing.

With the same turbine housing, the spool is virtually identical.

The Garrett housing works great with the stock converter. The PTE housing may need a little help (looser converter) if your fueling at launch isn't spot on.

Check out the Gt3255E from Precision, talk to Don it's a newer version of the 44/49. Spools quicker with stock converter!

UNGN said:
A Garrett Housing TE44 or TA49 will "Spool Easier" than a similar TE44 or TA49 with a PTE turbine housing.

The Garrett housing works great with the stock converter. The PTE housing may need a little help (looser converter) if your fueling at launch isn't spot on.

What he said. I have a PTE housing on my TE-44 and it will not spool very well on a stock converter. However the PTE will allow the turbo to spool from 10psi to 25 almost instantly. :eek: Because of this I need new tires. :D

I really like my TA-49. With my set-up: if I launch at 4-6psi, the boost is VERY quick to 19psi(street). I'm trying to find a controller that will stage my boost. But: I need a pair of Sticky Mickies anyway. ;)

BuickMike....you are right on

my car takes almost 3/4 throttle to spool from a stop without powerbraking, but once it hits 5 psi, it's on like donkey kong! I have never seen a boost gauge peg that quickly :eek:

UNGN said:

Do you still have this car?
It seems like a good runner!

John Wilde said:
Do you still have this car?
It seems like a good runner!

Yes, it's kind of in pieces in my garage. I took it off the road to port the heads and do some other things to it, then 50 other things came up and 5 years later.... Good thing I have the garage space.

It's a perfect example of "there is a fast T/R inside even the slowest one".

When I bought it for $5K in 1995, the original owner bragged how fast it was. First time at the track it barely cracked the 14's. Fixing all the problems and following the recipes on GNTtype and LOTS of trial and error, I got it down to mid 11's@118, never running huge boost or going into the motor/transmission (except for a new set of stock valve springs).

Question

Is this GT3255E a stock appearing unit like the TA49?

Does the GT3255E have an equivalent step up unit as the TA 49 to the TA62?

Thanks

Rich

UNGN said:
They are virtually the same. One is stock appearing (TA49), the other is not (TE44). The actual horsepower difference between them on a buick may be less than 5 HP.

I went 11.53 @ 118+ with a 100% stock, 95K mile longblock, Stock D5 torque converter on drag radials in a 3600lb race weight TR @ 23 psi of boost using a Garrett Turbine housing TA49 with a hand port matched Stock cast inlet bell.

That was hauling for those boost levels. Was you running lots of timing?

The GT 3255E is not stock appearing. It is a great turbo though. It takes some modding to get the turbo sheild back on also.

BuickMike said:
What he said. I have a PTE housing on my TE-44 and it will not spool very well on a stock converter. However the PTE will allow the turbo to spool from 10psi to 25 almost instantly. :eek: Because of this I need new tires. :D

On DS I notice only a 200rpm difference in spool compared to stock. You can tell there is a little more lag but not much.

UNGN said:
Yes, it's kind of in pieces in my garage. I took it off the road to port the heads and do some other things to it, then 50 other things came up and 5 years later.... Good thing I have the garage space.

It's a perfect example of "there is a fast T/R inside even the slowest one".

When I bought it for $5K in 1995, the original owner bragged how fast it was. First time at the track it barely cracked the 14's. Fixing all the problems and following the recipes on GNTtype and LOTS of trial and error, I got it down to mid 11's@118, never running huge boost or going into the motor/transmission (except for a new set of stock valve springs).

Your car epitomizes why these cars are so cool.
The bang for the buck is amazing.

UNGN said:

basically like Melissa's car with a 44 but she had a V4.. 11.5s@ 118 :biggrin:
tune on any of these cars is "must" .. lots of guys have copied Melissa's set up and went 12-13s :rolleyes: :eek: oh a little more to "think" on .. I had a GT3255 ... a 44 blows it away .. of course thats only my "opinion" :p

44 or 49

I like the 49 but you can't go wrong with either as long as you have the right support mods with them. The 44 will probably be a little stronger on top end. It has a larger A/R .73 and .63 for the 49. The 49 will spool superquick with the garrett housing and is a great small turbo for street use. Just my opinion.

Chris

Steve V said:
The GT 3255E is not stock appearing. It is a great turbo though. It takes some modding to get the turbo sheild back on also.

I think the 3255E is a downgrade to the 44, the 6131E will be the upgrade from the 44.

Check out PTE site (later the site is down), If I remember correctly the 3255 only supports 580 horses and the 44 supports over 600hp.

getchasum said:
That was hauling for those boost levels. Was you running lots of timing?

The was chip is a standard $20 Thrasher 108 for Bluetops. I wouldn't run one of these at much more than 23 psi, because of the leaness and the timing.

The motor ran out of steam at 5000 RPM so I knew before I tore it down it was completely stock. The big mph came after I switched to 28" tires. With 26" tires, my best was 11.9's @ <114 mph.

According to Full Throttle Speed...

Best Street Turbo for Turbo Buick EVER!
The New GT3255E is the best street tubo we have ever used on a turbo Buick. Fast spooling and much stronger midrange than the the old TA49/TE44 turbos that it replaces. You truely will not need a torque converter upgrade with this one. The 49/44 units are lazy enough that some customers complain about lag when they do not upgrade the converter.