T-Type track results with 91 octane and alchy

Mr URL

Welp, here are my results with the T-Type from
tonight. First time at the track with current combo.
Started out good then ended bad!!

These runs where made with straight 91 octane pump
gas, 100% denatured alchy, 24 psi boost, 26/25/23
degree Extender chip, and slicks.

First pass (best pass): :D
1.58 60ft
7.13 8th mile
95.98 mph
(Beat the guy next to me @ 7.84)

Second pass:
1.62 60ft
7.23 8th mile
95.23 mph
(Beat the guy next to me @ 9.24)

Third pass:
1.62 60ft
7.24 8th mile
95.15 mph
(Beat the guy next to me @ 10.5 - he let out of it)

DOH! I'm getting slower but fairly consistant! They didn't prep the track again as the night went.

Fourth pass:
1.63 60ft
9.82 8th mile!!!!
46.51 mph!!!!!
(Transmission broke when 3rd gear hit!! DOH! Bounced
off the rev limiter when it let go with a big POP!)

Crap! Got leaving the track to go home. 1st gear was
good shift, 2nd gear was good shift, 3rd gear noise
and NO GO! Transmisson is broke. Was making wierd
noises. Got stranded on the side of the highway. Had
to call a tow truck and get it towed for $173!! Ouch!
I only got 1,000 miles out of this transmission and
first time I've ever killed hard parts. Guess they
weren't lying when they say you break more after
11.50's. Thanks to my buddy Mike and his dad for a ride home!!

Oh, well I guess. Looks like I'm done for the year.
Came very close to a 7.00-6.99 but not quite there.
The tech guy said "Come back with a roll bar next time".

Not too bad for 91 octane gas and alchy injection with
a short time of tuning. ;) These times should be good
for a deep 11 second pass. With some suspension
stuff (all stock but one air bag), new transmission, and more tuning I think it can pound a 10. :D :D

Wow Chad! Actusally you are in the 10's now (in theory). I'm sure you know the conversions as well as I do! :)

Calculating your 7.2 run (X1.52) = 10.94

Why not quit now? Hey you are in the high 10's ....;)

You are onlky the second person to run in the 10's on pump gas, that I know of.....

Mnnn, your bset pas = 10.8. In theory that is the best time on pump gas I've heard of!

Way to go man!

Actually I think it would be more like in the 11.1-11.2 area. Don't think it's quite a 10 second pass. Close but not quite. If it was a 7.00-6.99 I would agree that it would be 10 capable.

Thanks for the compliments! :D Once I hit a high 10 I'm backing it off to mid 11's for longevity since most of the car is stock (bottom end and rearend). Only thing done to suspension is one air bag and front sway bar removed.

Hey Chad

With my car running 93 octane pump gas and SMC alky kit with a JC 110 race chip I'm getting 4 to 6 degrees of knock in 3rd gear at around 85-90 mph with just 17-18 lbs. of boost. The 02's are 808mv. Turn on point is 14 and pump speed is 7. Which way do I go in the tuning process to get rid of the knock and be able to run more boost? Fuel pressure is 40 static. Thanks, R.B.

Your chip is causing your knock problem. Chances are the timing in that chip is way too high even for the alky. Try a 100 octane chip or something similar.
I have the same turn on point as you, but my pump speed is always on full.
What is the rest of your combo?

GN tuned as follows with dual nozzle SMC kit: 91 octane pump gas, 100% denatured alchy, 22 degrees WOT timing in all gears (4,000 rpm and above with LV8 255), spray on point at 13 psi, speed control turned on high, 2 size 10 jets, fuel pressure 45 psi static, Translator WOT fueling switch on 0, AC CR43TS plugs gapped at 0.035", O2's 800-780mv, 24 psi boost, 1 degree knock or less with mostly zero through run.

T-Type tuned as follows with dual nozzle SMC kit: 91 octane pump gas, 100% denatured alchy, 26 degrees timing on initial WOT, 25 degrees in 1st and 2nd gears (4,000 rpm and above with LV8 255), 23 degrees in 3rd and 4th gear (4,000 rpm and above with LV8 255), spray on point is 10 psi, speed control turned on high, 2 size 20 jets, fuel pressure 45 psi static, Translator WOT fueling switch on 0, AC CR43TS plugs gapped at 0.035", O2's 800-780mv, 24 psi boost, 1 degree knock or less with mostly zero through run.

rb68rr,

Friend of mine is also trying to run a SMC alchy kit with a JL 110 26 degree race chip. He can't get any higher than 18 psi either. I think your problem is trying to run too much timing. Try a 100 octane chip setup for 21-22 psi boost with 21-23 degrees timing and start out with 100% denatured alchy.

First you could also try turning up the alchy speed more so you inject more alchy. That will possibly eliminate the knock and allow higher boost levels.

I am tuning on my dual nozzle set up. I am running a Jim Testa 19* chip. I am going to have a little more timing and fuel put in to the chip. This is a awesome set up. So far I have been runing 23 psi. of boost with no knock.

Good info!!

I've been trying to get some figures on timing and boost with 100% denatured. I'm running 24* @ 19-20 psi with the same bolt-on setup as Chris Taylor. With 22* chip and 24 psi that falls right in line with boost vs. timing. URL, what kind of 60' where you getting with the GN to run your 7.4 ET? Also I'm assuming stock long block with bolt-ons. Good times on both cars!!

Mike Banas
87GN

Re: Good info!!

Originally posted by NC87GN
I've been trying to get some figures on timing and boost with 100% denatured. I'm running 24* @ 19-20 psi with the same bolt-on setup as Chris Taylor. With 22* chip and 24 psi that falls right in line with boost vs. timing. URL, what kind of 60' where you getting with the GN to run your 7.4 ET? Also I'm assuming stock long block with bolt-ons. Good times on both cars!!

Mike Banas
87GN

I had a 1.70 60ft time on that 7.42 pass with a 5 psi launch. I have an ATR pinion snubber on it which is hurting my time. It causes the rear end to bounce when it takes off. With transbrake got 1.66 but didn't see any e.t. or mph gain doing that. GN is stock long block with bolt-ons.

Hey guys I also have a duel nozzle SMC kit but havent installed it yet, What I was wanting to know is I have a Postons 93 and Thrasher 92 for 36 #er's which would be better to use or should I get a different chip, I am also running 107 low lead AV gas at 22#'s of boost now w/o the alky, how much boost might I be able to run

TIA

On my GN I have been using a single nozzle SMC kit with excellent results. I spray 100% denatured (with a spritz of WD40)
I run Sunoco 94 exclusively.
The most KR I ever see is .02-1.2 and it is usually on the shifts.
My combo is the stock 134k mile long block (timing chain and valve springs replaced). I have 55lb injectors, TE45A turbo, Translator Plus with 3" mass air, stretch intercooler and a single Walbro 340.My spray on point is set at 14lbs. I run 24lbs of boost with this set up. I occasionally will see some transitional knock, but it is rare. My O2's stay in the 750-800 range. With the cooler air, I did see a 730 a few nights ago, but this might be a signal for me to add in some more fuel.
I want to know if there would be any advantage for me to upgrade to the additional nozzle for the alky set up.