T-Type or Regal Limited w/ Turbo

kirban 2 cents first on the SPID label posted that car has VD6 and VD7 for aluminum bumper supports which is a great feature over the heavy steel ones. CF5 is the astro roof option....

On the photos above of the white back end....not sure if you did it by design but one small technical thing is not exactly correct. Can you guess what I am referring to?

Again not picking your car apart only pointing out something that is not quite exactly as it was original. Actually it is a fairly common mistake people make.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Looks like the strip on the trunk lip is painted white. Should be chrome (or black if car has black out package).

Nah it's a new strip so its deep black. I actually bought some mint bezels so they would line up better with it. I'm still pondering what Dennis is looking at if it's not the temporary misplacement of the emblems.

I've seen one on a local car that's has full size chrome outer dew sweeps, chrome trim on the bottom of the doors, cornering lights on the front fenders, and bench seats. It's not a limited either but the dealer build sheet shows them added on by the the original owner and what he paid for them. There's another one in Dallas that's almost the same but has opera lights. I wonder if the BX-1 RPO has something to do with it?

Nah it's a new strip so its deep black. I actually bought some mint bezels so they would line up better with it. I'm still pondering what Dennis is looking at if it's not the temporary misplacement of the emblems.
Do you think he is getting dimentia? He is getting up there :)

Haha no he's either going to say the bumper or blow me away with something I didn't know already knowing him. He will leave us hanging in the meantime for a week or so.

kirban 2 cents worth:

I assume some of the comments are met in fun.....since readers know who I am as I use my real name all the time. No one including the car owner has hit the error I was referring to showing the back end of his white Turbo Regal.

While its true as the owner pointed out emblems are at a different height what caught my eye is the fact the Buick emblem the K in Buick should be about 2 3/4 inches from the edge of the trunk lid where as the 3.8 on the other side start about 1/4 inch in.

Many owners make that mistake thinking both emblems should be the same distance inward when in fact they were not. Again not picking on your car but pointing this out so others know what is correct if correct is what owners want.

As for the little gizmo or escuteon around the trunk lock car does not have to be a Limited I have it on my white 87 Turbo-T also same style on each rear pillar. Also have that thin chrome strip at the bottom of each side of the car. My car is absolutely 100% original paint.

As for the chrome mirrors...that is a weird one as no books I have from Buick indicate that you could order chrome mirrors and the painted sport mirrors or whatever they were called were like standard on our cars. I too have crank windows chrome mirrors basically a bare bones 87 Turbo T solid roof example. Has a posi and aluminum bumper supports. AM radio.

On the chrome mirrors all the codes for the mirrors start with the letter D35 or D 68 for the painted style. On my SPID label I have a D71 code which is not listed in any of my books. My window sticker does not list any mirrors either. The person who posted their SPID label on a angle please repost it or tell me if yours has a D71 code if so that would verify that D71 is for these fixed chrome standard mirrors.

In 1987 I have no idea why name changed to Turbo-T instead of T-Type except possibly for the fact in 87 Buick introduced the T-Type LeSabre model. They made them 3 years in 4 colors. Adding to the confusion those cars the SPID code was WE2 same code for the Grand National package.

Besides all this confusion employees did make mistakes on the assembly line as it was the end of the rear wheel drive platform my guess is many were loosing their jobs...equipment was old. Black paint jobs at best were subpar. Fitment and alignment of body panels again were very bad. Look at any 3 piece rear spoiler and the trunk lid area. Find a T-Top car that didn't leak the first week in a heavy rain. Clock the speed of your power window against a Mustang power window. You get my point. Where Buick did a remarkable job is why you bought the car in the first place ------the engine.

I don't claim to know it all but have most of the critical books to back up what I write about and probably would score pretty high if given a written test.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis this is why I respect you and show up with my car to your events your the guru of the Buicks your place is not far from where I live either but it's the way you explain these cars I've had mine 6yrs cause I can't let her go cause they ain't making many more than of our cars

I was just having a little fun with one of the founding fathers who I have the up most respect being there for us over the years Dennis. You don't do it just for money, you truly love these turbo Regals. Now the funny thing about the 87 LeSabre T Types. I owned three of these cool little cars back in the early 90's (all 87's). They came in 4 colors black, silver, white, and maroon. The 87's all had black/grey interiors just like the GN which is why the WE-2 RPO is present on those. The T-Type version was a coupe (normally 4 doors) with a flat hood ornament, front spoiler, dual exhaust exit muffler, alloy rims with black centers, different sport type instruments with red illum (sedans were green illum) small T-Type badges on the b-pillers, console with floor shifter, different tail light lenses with amber turn signals, same steering wheel as the GN/T's, black grille with the same Buick badge on our cars, and bucket seats. All were non-turbo btw. I actually was in the car audio circuit when Richard Clark was competing in one of these cars by the way. I bought a wrecked 89 for parts and it had all black seats, a rear spoiler, and the steering wheel had changed to a different style that was all leather wrapped. The other few 89's I saw over the years were the same as the one I parted out. I don't think WE-2 was present in the RPO's. I have never seen an 88 so I can't pinpoint when the changes were made. Perhaps someone could shed some light on it.

As far as the 87 T's I have seen completely off the wall things like the chrome mirrors, Limited type trim on base Regals, and so on. I do remember the chrome mirrors were always on low optioned cars (one with no radio, a/c, no power anything, or cruise control and it was sage green too). I've also seen the crests on the upper quarter with the lock cover on the trunk lock but all were bench seat column shifted cars that I noticed them on. Chime in on that please! I think GM would just add/delete anything on the Regal just to sell another car in 87. We have to be careful on what is factory, dealer added, or owner added. And yes Dennis you are 100% correct GM did a horrible job lining up these cars. In fact when I had my car painted last spring the body shop lined up the entire car. I was more happy about that than the paint at the time!

kirban 2 cents worth

Again appreciate all the kind words..sometimes when I write on here new owners may not have any idea who I am or my background. I been , lucky besides never having to work for anyone, both cars that I did on a retail level starting in the late 1970s hit gold as far as being able to do it as a business the GTO and then in 1987 bringing in the Turbo Regals....

The 1964-67 GTOs with the right equipment bring big dollars and back when I started I thought two grand was a lot to pay for original paint trip-power 4 speed GTOs.....nor a 1964 optional steering wheel will fetch two grand or more.

I too had a 1988 LeSabre T-Type you are correct 4 colors 3 years probably agree had the ugliest wheels to come from Buick. One of the few back then that had optional black leather vinyl seats as an option...nice cars. I had a one owner burgundy one could not sell it....no interest it was original and like new....car never caught on with much of a collectible market probably one step lower than a Reatta....hope this does not affend any readers.,

I can also tell you for certain since I have the original 1987 Buick price option booklet that yes in 1987 the LeSabre T-Types had a WE2 code which was the T-Type package that same WE2 ID of course on the Regal was for the Grand National. Again you can see how confusing Buick worked their codes back then. Those cars were a very nice riding car.

When talking rare 1986 T-Type and its in my book they made less than 100 with the limited pillow seats tan and grey yet being a 1986 they had the regular door panels not limited style door panels. Years ago I had a black one with factory astro roof and the tan pillow seats...really rare car...not sure any readers of this post have one but that is a rare example for a 1986.

As for body fit and panels you would need a to roll a pretty big marble down the seams to keep it from falling in.....

As for Richard Clark and stereo......quick story....when I was buying these cars in the 1990s I bought one in NJ. It had a huge aftermarket stereo in it which I did not want. The seller and I went to this stereo shop so they could pull it and properly so the owner could have the stereo and I could be on my way. While w are standing around I brought up Richard Clarks name in conversation with the car owner. The stereo shop owner heard me mention Richard Clarks name. He asked me is the same Richard Clark that was heavy into stereo contests etc and so on. I said yes. You might have thought that I knew God on a personal level. I said I can go one better and call him on my cell and you can chat with him. The stereo shop owner could not believe it....
long story short the stereo shop owner got to talk to his "idol"......

true story...

sorry if I got off point.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

no I don't have dementia......I can spell it though...

Spell check is a wonderful invention.

Your rite however, for some reason that word did not come up underlined dementia. Fortunately wife proof reads all my books before they went into print and also proof reads my weekly inner circles before they go out to the public.

English was not my strong suit n school......plus I usually type in a hurry.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I think I remember a 86 black T-type with a doeskin interior/pillow seats on Autotrader several years ago. Also had a GNX style dash installed. That light blue turbo Regal you had many years ago was a rare one too. Love the Clark story. That USD/Speakerworks 86 GN was truly spectacular in the audio world. I hear he still has it tucked away somewhere under lock and key.

I think I remember a 86 black T-type with a doeskin interior/pillow seats on Autotrader several years ago. Also had a GNX style dash installed. That light blue turbo Regal you had many years ago was a rare one too. Love the Clark story. That USD/Speakerworks 86 GN was truly spectacular in the audio world. I hear he still has it tucked away somewhere under lock and key.

I am certain RC still has the 86 GN tucked away as he as many Turbo owners know RC does not sell anything...I know for a fact he even has his lst car he bought sitting down at his shop. I will not state what make and model though.

He also has the first year CTS V 2004? car I found for him years ago. That came about when I bought a GN from this guy and tucked in his Moms garage in NE Philly was this silver CTS V...with a mere 90 miles on it. (Not a misprint) The guy was buying a Honda Fit quite a step down from a Caddy V car...I told RC about it and he sent me a check to get the car and bring it down to his shop.

True Story.

again sorry for straying from the original topic. I got lots of stories...

Another rare example of a Turbo-T in 87 would be a black one with the black out package as that model was eliminated when Buick announced the WE4 to avoid confusion so that met their was only like a 2 month window to order a black Turbo T in 87 with the black out package. This would have been in the fall of 1986. Another reason that version would be rare is the fact if you wanted a black Turbo Regal most buyers opted for a Grand National.

It a shame all this back then was way before the internet so like the readers here we were all in the dark as to what would be a rare combination or valuable today.

I agree my test car #3 was a sweet looking car that blue interior just had a rich look to it. An original Florida car which in the NE part of the US would be very desirable today. Rust is one of the tough things to combat on a 30 plus year old car.

denniskirban@yahoo.com