T Type mods suggestions, 500+ whp goal

First of all I think it's cool you want to do this. I haven't dumped a "ton" of money into my car and it runs real nice. I still don't use alcohol at this point and have had no real issue not doing so. I do have some great folks in my area who believe in my project and have been able to fabricate up parts, since getting anything for the hot air is limited at best. I ran a 3600 lock up and it still has decent street manors. As far as that goes going to a 4000 lock up this season to help with my top end numbers. I have no doubt it still will have decent street manors. It's a lot about getting the information, doing your homework and then seeking those that have done it for their information. If you can do a lot of your own work that pays off double. Have fun and enjoy the car.

cool 84 said:
I've heard nothing but good things about the new GT series, especially spoolup

Those turbos are great, I really want one for my car but I dont think they're avaliable in the housing that fits my throttle, however I saw a pic today from a user that relocated the TB and it kind of tickled my mind, if I moved the throtlle from its stock location, I'd be able to run any kind of compressor housing that physically fits under my hood. I'll research on that too.

But those turbos have great technology and design behind them, one of my really close friends got one and we installed it on his 2002 2.0LWRX, forged internals ....., the car is using a GT35R, at this moment, with a tuner "wannabe", the car's putting 544 AWHP @ 30 psi. The engine was built to handle about 40 + pounds of boost. The thing is that if he had a really good tuner that car's output would be close to 600 hp at the moment. Full boost comes about 700rpms sooner than before and I repeat, IT COULD BE A LOT BETTER.

I'll see what info I can get on the relocation thing and I'll post what I find and my doubts.

Thanks

Actually I believe there is a mod that fits the guts of a 62 or 66 turbo inside the stock housing, combine that with a TH downpipe....anything more then that and your converter would make it just about undrivable on the street...Also should get you to the 500hp your looking for without relocating the TB. I mean if your going to relocate the TB and add a bigger one, with a bigger turbo might as well just go all the way and convert to the 87 config...

I know this mod is fairly common, so anyone with more info please pipe up...

I did the original relocation so I could probably help you lol. You'll want to do this for drivability, power, and spool. You will be amazed at the difference in the way the car feels. It's very simple and IMO should be a part of every intercooler kit.

With your Spearco setup, you simply cut a section out of the intercooler plumbing near the firewall. You'll need a couple silicone hose reducers and two turbo inlet bells. Take one inlet bell and bolt it onto the outlet of the TB and couple it to the elbow at the back of the intake manifold with the hose reducer. Couple the other end of the TB to the existing intercooler piping with another reducer (I think 3" to 2.5" is the closest you're going to find). Take the remaining turbo inlet bell and bolt it to your turbo and stick the MAF pipe onto it. This seriously took me less than an hour to do. You'll also need a longer throttle cable like the 87 cable or you can find one on pretty much any 3.8L FWD car in the junkyard.

As a side benefit, your BOV will now be functional.

tenright said:
Actually I believe there is a mod that fits the guts of a 62 or 66 turbo inside the stock housing, combine that with a TH downpipe....anything more then that and your converter would make it just about undrivable on the street...Also should get you to the 500hp your looking for without relocating the TB. I mean if your going to relocate the TB and add a bigger one, with a bigger turbo might as well just go all the way and convert to the 87 config...

I know this mod is fairly common, so anyone with more info please pipe up...

No. I've already been through all of this. You can do the 66 in the stock 87 housing and max of a 62 in the hotair housing. I always had problems with oil getting into the intake with the 62 in a hotair housing. I'll tell you from experience that even a ported throttlebody is much smaller than a TA62 inlet. You absolutely don't want that restriction before the TB. Relocation is a must for several reasons and it's very easy.

A 3,400 stall lockup is far from unstreetable. I was originally driving around with a 3,800 stall and it wasn't that bad but gas mileage suffered.

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
What's your opinion about stand alone engine management? (Microtech, Electromotive, ...........)

FAST system all the way.. it's a lot cheaper then getting chips burn each time you do upgrades ;) ..

cool 84 said:
Relocation is a must for several reasons and it's very easy.

use the js manufacturing style intake like i did
works great!!!!!!!!!!!!
here are pics of the one i built. esp did a version of this intake back in the 90's as well but it used the stock hotair throttle body.
i am also thinking about starting production of these intakes and picking up where they left off,providing there is enough intrest from the hotair guys and gals to make it worth the time and effort.

Attachments

• DSC00427sml.JPG
    DSC00427sml.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 117
  • 000_0624.jpg
    000_0624.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 000_0620.jpg
    000_0620.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 98
Cool84: not to contrdict, but if the 62 fit's in the stock housing how does the TB not fit???? It's the same housing so the TB should mount just as if it where a stock turbo..no????

As for oil ...that is caused by the PCV and easily fixed with a catch can. It also happens on 87's with larger turbo's.....

tenright said:
Cool84: not to contrdict, but if the 62 fit's in the stock housing how does the TB not fit???? It's the same housing so the TB should mount just as if it where a stock turbo..no????

As for oil ...that is caused by the PCV and easily fixed with a catch can. It also happens on 87's with larger turbo's.....

The TB will physically bolt on the 62. It will also bolt onto the 87 turbo, it will just be a few degrees off. I drove mine for a while like that. The problem is
the TB cannot be bored big enough to match the inlet of the 62 turbo so it becomes a big restriction. You don't want restriction before the turbo.

The hotair turbo uses different type seals. Most manufacturers won't make anything bigger than a 33 in the hotair housing and I've heard it's because of oil control. It makes sense because my 62 in the hotair housing always leaked oil and I even had it rebuilt once. My intercooler was like a catch can. I don't run a PVC. I have an open breather on each valvecover.

highboost said:
use the js manufacturing style intake like i did
works great!!!!!!!!!!!!
here are pics of the one i built. esp did a version of this intake back in the 90's as well but it used the stock hotair throttle body.
i am also thinking about starting production of these intakes and picking up where they left off,providing there is enough intrest from the hotair guys and gals to make it worth the time and effort.

What about the transmission cable?
87 throttle cable?

Very interesting pics.

cool 84 said:
I did the original relocation so I could probably help you lol. You'll want to do this for drivability, power, and spool. You will be amazed at the difference in the way the car feels. It's very simple and IMO should be a part of every intercooler kit.

With your Spearco setup, you simply cut a section out of the intercooler plumbing near the firewall. You'll need a couple silicone hose reducers and two turbo inlet bells. Take one inlet bell and bolt it onto the outlet of the TB and couple it to the elbow at the back of the intake manifold with the hose reducer. Couple the other end of the TB to the existing intercooler piping with another reducer (I think 3" to 2.5" is the closest you're going to find). Take the remaining turbo inlet bell and bolt it to your turbo and stick the MAF pipe onto it. This seriously took me less than an hour to do. You'll also need a longer throttle cable like the 87 cable or you can find one on pretty much any 3.8L FWD car in the junkyard.

As a side benefit, your BOV will now be functional.

Yup, I thought of that as soon as I saw the idea, if I do the relocation, it doesnt matter how but as soon as its working I'll put a nasty BOV on mine.

Your idea seems very cost effective and quick, tell me more about it's performance. Any pictures?

What are your thoughts on external wastegates?

Has anybody installed one?

I was looking at my engine bay and it's a bit hard to imagine some space for one.

Thanks

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
What are your thoughts on external wastegates?

Has anybody installed one?

I was looking at my engine bay and it's a bit hard to imagine some space for one.

Thanks

I'm running an Innovative external gate. I got sick of the boost creep from the stock unit and it would occasionally rub on my heat shield and make a nasty squeeking sound. Mine is installed on the crossover pipe under the car and dumps into the exhaust post-cat. Boost is rock steady now no matter what gear I'm in.

cool 84 said:
I'm running an Innovative external gate. I got sick of the boost creep from the stock unit and it would occasionally rub on my heat shield and make a nasty squeeking sound. Mine is installed on the crossover pipe under the car and dumps into the exhaust post-cat. Boost is rock steady now no matter what gear I'm in.

can you send me pics of your wastegate set up as i am looking into doing a external gate on mine so i can build a 3" down pipe.

keith

highboost said:
can you send me pics of your wastegate set up as i am looking into doing a external gate on mine so i can build a 3" down pipe.

keith

Could I tag along for those pics?
What boost controller are you using?

Thanks

high boost ur engine looks damn good must hual ass but hows that stock maf workin( that is a hotair maf right ?) mine was slowly going to ish before i lost my motor?

85 TR,
thankyou sir.
car runs great!!!!! :D
stock maf is restrictive but.... soon i will have a translator pro and i will run maf less ;)
i do have a issue with the 42.5# injectors and the te-60 turbo it runs a little lean so i have the boost pretty low.
so soon i will have a set of 2k mile 42.5# green stripe injectors for sale.as soon as i get my 60's put in. then i can get the boost up to oh say 26psi :biggrin:

I hope that soon I can be talking about 26 pounds of boost too, I think I should start saving money for rear tires.

How tunable is the translator plus??