T Type mods suggestions, 500+ whp goal

I'm new to this family, but i've seen the type of advise and feedback you guys give to each other and I know that joining you was a really good choice.

My car is an 85 T Type. I was thinking about going for an 87 setup, but I really like my car and would like to know my options with my setup. My goal is to have a 500+whp daily driver. Thanks

I have a question regarding those scan tools I keep reading about, are those scanners avaliable/compatible with an 85 T Type? How far can I go in terms of tuning my car with them? Limitations?

Thanks a lot for your help.

First and most important is what mods does the car already have? That will make it much easier to determine what mods you should get....hope your pocket is deep cause if it's stock 500hp is going to be expensive...

just as an example with my mods I would probably dyno in around 450

500 Hp!!!!!!

First think about what your saying!! 500 rwhp to the wheels is deep into the 10's. And so far there has only been 1 person to accomplish that feat in standard hot air configuration. I also have to add, that accomplishment has been made possible by ingesting tons of methanol to cool the charge. Not saying it can't be done it has already been proven that it can, but it will cost you a ton of money and mods to get there. And tenright not trying to rain on your parade but I dought you have even close to 450 rwhp. With your mods probably closer to 350, still good for bottom 12's high 11's with a good 60ft. If 500rwhp was that easy in hot air no one would ever convert to an 86-87 set up. Hell, if 450rwhp was that easy in a hot air it would be hard pressed to convert.

lol your not raining on my parade, you could be absolutley right about what my car puts out. I was basing it on the turbo rating, engine config, and best case senario with 100+ octane, and 20 or so lbs boost.....I would be very surprised to see it at 350. But certainly not pissed about it. Truthfully the only way to find out is on the dyno....

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
I'm new to this family, but i've seen the type of advise and feedback you guys give to each other and I know that joining you was a really good choice.

My car is an 85 T Type. I was thinking about going for an 87 setup, but I really like my car and would like to know my options with my setup. My goal is to have a 500+whp daily driver. Thanks

I have a question regarding those scan tools I keep reading about, are those scanners avaliable/compatible with an 85 T Type? How far can I go in terms of tuning my car with them? Limitations?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I think 500hp is doable. I would highly suggest an intercooler. With my mods, I've outrun one of the new Vipers on the freeway, a couple R6s, and a few other fast cars. I would add the intercooler and headers, and most of the other mods you can copy from the 87s like turbo size, injector size, heads, cam, etc. Like I said I think your goals are very reachable.

TENRIGHT-Isn't it a little strange that Boostmaster doesn't have a signature? You and I know that being a senior member doesn't mean anything. I do believe his comment that our cars would be a mid-twelves car is very close- after I (parts on the way)do the downpipe, electric fan, tires and further tuning.

Joelo's whish for 500 hp will be very expensive and realistickly not cost effective on a hot air. If I was set on this goal I would convert now to the 86/87 setup. I am very lucky that this is not my goal. A mid -twelves type hot
air for the street is fine by me. Brad

P.S. Joelos- The modiications I have made cost alot of $$$ which I would never get back if I sold the car. I enjoy the fell of power out of a V-6.

I really was expecting this kind of feedback and I know I'm listening to the right kind of people. I guess the 500 whp sound somewhat big, but I really believe and know that It can be done. I know its not too easy and It'll require a lot of time, research and $$, but it is possible.

As for the 87 conversion, it's been on my mind for a while now, but i really like the way my car behaves, Ive seen the IC ones and their power, but I remember that once a friend of mine who owns an 87 rode along with me in my car and his face was......... PRICELESS!! (of course after the tire-smoke cleared) , so I really feel I dont have anything to envy performance-wise at this point to any 87. But reality is that the 87 setup is more efficient and there are more parts and options than in our setup. If I ever move to the 87 setup I'll always LOVE my hotair baby.

This car has been in my family for a while, I bought it from my uncle after I sold my 1990 Eclipse turbo after breaking 12 trannys, you can see I really enjoyed that car. But my first love always were Turbo Regals and I'm fortunate enough to have mine right now.

Mods:

Spearco FMIC
Walbro Fuel Pump
42 pounds Injectors (Not sure on this one)
Headwork (port, polished, angle.....)
262 Cam (not sure on this one either, I'll verify)
Headers
OEM Turbo (ported compressor housing)
3.42 Auburn rear end
ECU chip
Stock bottom end, total seal pistong rings
I may be forgetting stuff, but I"ll double check and include everything in my signature.

The car right now feels too rich, I was thinking about tuning the car using a Microtech EMS, but I was reading that most of you use "turbolink" or "Direct Scan" and I'd really like more info on this systems. I read something about alcohol injection that you guys were using to avoid knock and it was giving good results. Anyways, the conversion to 87 is still an option but I want to squeeze as much HP as I can to this setup, and I know I'll do it with your help. Thanks a lot and please keep opinions and suggestions coming, I'm learning a lot here and I know we will learn lots from eachother.

Joelo .Forget converting to the 87 for now because based on your mods you already have an intercooler. You really need to post all your mods so that we can really understand what kind of car you have. All the scan tools work-I use Scanmaster only because I can read it and keep an I eye on the road while testing. I would get a knock gauge if you do not already have one. Mandatory if you don't want to blow up your motor.

Another tip on tuning is that the 84/85 and 86/87 cars tune the same way so that you can also get alot of help on the General board. Make sure you are operating on the 86/87 ECM before you get a scan tool.The 84/85 is limited-primarily because of specialized after market chips.

The Alky inj works on both hot airs as well as I/C cars- It allows higher boost on 93 octane as well as race gas. Study it-Get a knock gauge. Brad

The scan master is a fairly in-expensive device that mounts easily and displays just about everything you would need to look for while driving at the touch of a button. Turbo-link is a computer program, it's very expensive, and clumsy compared to the tiny little scanmaster. You really don't need a knock gauge with scanmaster as it displays knock retard. You should however get a good boost gauge, I have a VDO that displays boost and vacuum...makes it easy to see not only what your waste gate is set for but also how strong your vacuum is when your not in boost.

best advice I can give you is get yourself a good set of diagnostic gauges an a good diagnostic tool. Then start moving toward 500hp. you will want a FP gauge and an adjustable FP regulator, oil pressure gauge, water temp, boost/vacuum, and some sort of scanning tool. I also have a knock gauge even though I don't really need it.....

Boostnitup said:
It can be done... NITROUS Oxide
be very careful with the N2O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have not yet reached my gaol of 500whp and my car is as follows
forged pistons/moly rings,block decked pistons are .015 in the hole, heads ported(bowls blended,port machet to felpro1201 intake gaskets),homemade JS manufacturing intake(ported and port mached to felpro 1201 intake gaskets),62mm TB,42# injectors(i need 60's so these will be for sale soon),208/208 cam,block line honed w/arp main studs installed& rods resized w/arp rod bolts installed (for extra strength :biggrin: )completly balanced rotating assy.TT chip,3k stall, Limit TE-60 and a big fmic :biggrin:

i am getting close to my goal the 60# injectors will help as i have found 10deg knock retard over half throttle in the upper rpm range.
but i still have a lot of tunning to do and need a 3" down pipe(i cant find :frown: ) and alky injection.

Attachments

• 000_0638.jpg
    000_0638.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 000_0635.jpg
    000_0635.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 134
  • shortblock1.jpg
    shortblock1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00427sml.JPG
    DSC00427sml.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 127
JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
I really was expecting this kind of feedback and I know I'm listening to the right kind of people. I guess the 500 whp sound somewhat big, but I really believe and know that It can be done. I know its not too easy and It'll require a lot of time, research and $$, but it is possible.

As for the 87 conversion, it's been on my mind for a while now, but i really like the way my car behaves, Ive seen the IC ones and their power, but I remember that once a friend of mine who owns an 87 rode along with me in my car and his face was......... PRICELESS!! (of course after the tire-smoke cleared) , so I really feel I dont have anything to envy performance-wise at this point to any 87. But reality is that the 87 setup is more efficient and there are more parts and options than in our setup. If I ever move to the 87 setup I'll always LOVE my hotair baby.

This car has been in my family for a while, I bought it from my uncle after I sold my 1990 Eclipse turbo after breaking 12 trannys, you can see I really enjoyed that car. But my first love always were Turbo Regals and I'm fortunate enough to have mine right now.

Mods:

Spearco FMIC
Walbro Fuel Pump
42 pounds Injectors (Not sure on this one)
Headwork (port, polished, angle.....)
262 Cam (not sure on this one either, I'll verify)
Headers
OEM Turbo (ported compressor housing)
3.42 Auburn rear end
ECU chip
Stock bottom end, total seal pistong rings
I may be forgetting stuff, but I"ll double check and include everything in my signature.

The car right now feels too rich, I was thinking about tuning the car using a Microtech EMS, but I was reading that most of you use "turbolink" or "Direct Scan" and I'd really like more info on this systems. I read something about alcohol injection that you guys were using to avoid knock and it was giving good results. Anyways, the conversion to 87 is still an option but I want to squeeze as much HP as I can to this setup, and I know I'll do it with your help. Thanks a lot and please keep opinions and suggestions coming, I'm learning a lot here and I know we will learn lots from eachother.

You've got a good start with headers and an intercooler. With the Spearco setup, you'll want to do something about the elbow that goes in the back of the intake manifold. It necks down to 1.5" in one spot. Also it wouldn't hurt to go with 2.5" plumbing instead of 2.25". The intercooler inlet and outlet is 2.5".

Like I said before, look at the parts it takes to get the 87s to the level you want and copy. You've leveled the playing field with the intercooler and headers. There is absolutely no reason you can't make 500hp with the 84 setup. Like I said before, I've outrun a new Viper and a few bikes with a pretty mild tune on mine. People want to discourage you but I've been racing this car for 12 years and I know it can be done. I was out there with a mostly stock motor, little turbo and intercooler, a very mild combo beating Vipers. It just takes a lot less boost now. For 500rwhp, it's going to take racegas or a large shot of alky with anything short of a stageII motor.

What turbo upgrades would you guys recommend?

What's your opinion about stand alone engine management? (Microtech, Electromotive, ...........)

The issue with the I/C pipes is a great point, but won't it be too much for my stock turbo at this moment?

I insulated the incoming pipes with header wrap and it felt on the performance of my car, of course it wasn't nitrous, but the difference was notable.

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
What turbo upgrades would you guys recommend?

What's your opinion about stand alone engine management? (Microtech, Electromotive, ...........)

The issue with the I/C pipes is a great point, but won't it be too much for my stock turbo at this moment?

I insulated the incoming pipes with header wrap and it felt on the performance of my car, of course it wasn't nitrous, but the difference was notable.

Find a turbo that will support 500+hp. I would go with a TA62 at a minimum. I'm running a TA66 right now and love it. You'll need at least a 3,400 stall convertor though. That's the reason I built my 4.1 so I could run less stall and still have it spool up decent. The main thing you need to look at when ordering is it has to be in the 87 compressor housing to physically fit on your car. If it has TA or "stock appearing" in the name, it will fit. If it's TE or most others, it won't fit.

Going from a 2.25" pipe to a 2.5" won't affect lag. I'm running 3" and I have no problems with lag. You went from no intercooler to a good sized front mount with a ton of piping and spool is still acceptable.

Stand alone systems are safer for the motor and you can probably get more power when tuned to the edge but not necessary for your goal.

Heads are where it's at. I would go with a set of ported GN1s if you have the money and don't have to pass tail pipe emissions. Get a healthy cam to match the heads, something in the 218-218 range. It will have a slight lope though.

I have a ton of suggestions but my head hurts right now.

Sorry about your headache..

The turbo that you mentioned sounds good, but the stall thing makes me think for a while in driveability issues. In this case you did great when moving to 4.1, we had the same experience at home with my uncle's WRX, changes from 2.0 to 2.5 and the turbo really started screaming.

I'll check my cam specs tomorrow and post them to make things easier for you guys, you are all doing magic here trying to help with no exact information.

Thanks

Liked the idea of using bigger I/C pipes, good starting point.

I'll be working on a better exhaust, something custom to see if I can get at least 3" all the way back.

Someone suggested me this turbo specs:

Hybrid T3/T4
Compressor: T4 Ar .60 stage 4 (60 trim)
Turbine: T3 Ar .82 stage 3 (p shaft)

I've heard before something "H3" or "Cheetah" or something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What are your thoughts on these options?

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
Someone suggested me this turbo specs:

Hybrid T3/T4
Compressor: T4 Ar .60 stage 4 (60 trim)
Turbine: T3 Ar .82 stage 3 (p shaft)

I've heard before something "H3" or "Cheetah" or something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What are your thoughts on these options?

I remember hearing about the Cheetah turbo in the old days and I think it was somewhere one step up from a 49 but probably not enough for you. Then again, the name could be used for several different turbos.

I'm not really up to date on the newest turbos since I haven't been in the market for 4 years but I've heard nothing but good things about the new GT series, especially spoolup. Try the turbo section of this board and tell them you want a 500hp capable turbo in the 87 compressor housing. If you're brave you can tell them it's for a hotair but you might not get a good reaction. :) They can point you in the right direction. I can tell you the TA62 or 66 will get you there but you can probably find something more modern that spools better. I hope this makes sense, I have a migrane and it makes it hard to write.

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
Sorry about your headache..

The turbo that you mentioned sounds good, but the stall thing makes me think for a while in driveability issues. In this case you did great when moving to 4.1, we had the same experience at home with my uncle's WRX, changes from 2.0 to 2.5 and the turbo really started screaming.

I'll check my cam specs tomorrow and post them to make things easier for you guys, you are all doing magic here trying to help with no exact information.

Thanks

Just to clairify, the IC pipes probably aren't hurting you at all right now and you won't see any gains from upgrading right now, but they won't flow enough air to reach your future goal.