T tops or not??

Scott183

Hey guys I'm finally crossing over to a GN, grew up w/ 5.0's and 4x4's. In the market for one of these cars and know I'll start doing mods to it within a short time since we all know Speed is the Drug of Choice. Question is T tops or not for a starting block. T tops look nice but how fast can you go before worrying about twisting the body. Don't want to make a 20k mistake!!Thanks in advance for any replies. Look forward to learning from you guys in the future. BTW sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't know wherelse to post this question.

Scott,

I have a T-top car ans have run in the low 10's for quite a few years now. I'm sure there are much faster cars than mine that had T-tops. Personally I think they suck. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have bought a car with them. I have owned many turbo cars since 1993 when I bought the one I race and not one of them has had T-tops if that tells you anything.

Shop Carefully

Neal

T tops are awesome, won't leak if you weatherstrip em. But for any serious racecar, hell no. The glass weighs a ton and you lose stability.

i owned a nive t-top gn for about 4 years. never leaked on me. was a bit of noice form wind above 65mph. cant beat taking them off on a nice summer day. they are heavy but to be technical the astro roof cars are the most heavy. if this is gonna be strictly a race car try to find a nice hardtop, but if its gonna remain both street/strip i'd say go for a t-top if its nice.

t

just one more problem you might have to deal with down the road so why go ttops.I vote no.Especially for the track.

Hardtop all the way! One less source of water leaks, wind noise and rust. Don't have to worry about birds taking aim at you either.:D

Have both and have No Problems with TTops, a little wind noise @60mph and above but I usually have the stereo cranked up enough that I never hear it;) Also have many sub 1.7 60' times with no cracks at the pillars. This is also just a sunny weekend car and not a daily driver.

Thanks for all the replys. Still a little undecided where as this car for the most will be a street car with an occasional run at the track (for now). I love the look of the car with the tops off but just don't want to twist it if I ever build the thing up. Need to get rid of a 442 and a Ttop Cutlass and then the hunt is on for one of these monsters. Also got a hobby stock cutlass for sale too if anyone gets into that stuff. Thanks again guys TTY soon.

Originally posted by MistaScott
T tops are awesome, won't leak if you weatherstrip em. But for any serious racecar, hell no. The glass weighs a ton and you lose stability.
You must be one of the lucky one's, who's t-tops don't leak! I bought a hardtop because I didn't want the added headache and my mullet gets frizzed out in the wind. :D I would check pricing on a new set of t-top seals before you decide. they are not cheap.

My car has t-tops and let me tell ya nothing draws the eye more than a smooth black GN coming at ya with the tops out on a nice sunny day.:D

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
My car has t-tops and let me tell ya nothing draws the eye more than a smooth black GN coming at ya with the tops out on a nice sunny day.:D

I go hot-n-cold on the t-tops. Today I love them. Really nice out, popped the tops and got a little sunburn. A car with the tops out does draw the eye (so does a shiny all-black 80's Regal with Draglites, too I guess). Or it could be disbelief from people who thought that T-tops went out with big-hair bands.

My t-tops leak pretty bad but it's self-inflicted. I had a *small* leak around one of the tops from a worn seal so I replaced them all. Now they leak everywhere. I don't drive the car in the rain anyway.

For the way I use the car I'm really happy to have the t-tops. Mostly just a nice-day driver, some track duty (a few runs a year - hope to get more in this year though). About 2k mile per year.

Jim

If you want a t-top car get it...don't let the flexing scare you...they all flex.I driven loose hard tops and tight t-top cars. It's all in the TLC they receive.
Install all the body braces avaiable (should be done on all TRs regardless), take your time adjusting the doors/window/t-tops and it'll be fine.
Properly adjusted t-tops with good seals (OEM) do not leak.

If you want the top off option - get a t-top car.

There is good and bad for both. Yes the T-Tops can be a pain in the rear because some will leak. The hardtop cars won't leak but are not nearly as much fun in the sun or on a hot summer night. The rule of thumb is when you buy a convertible or t-top car you buy squeeks, rattles and water leaks. With TLC and careful installation of new seals you can get these cars leak free. My GN has the t-tops, Since I live in California they come out on a regular basis. You can go to www.steelerubber.com for weatherstrips. I replaced mine with Gm ones and I think they sucked. I think their inventory is getting old and dried up. The first set I sent back without even installing them. Don't let the Myth of the T-Top scare you, if you want them GET THEM. Just be prepared to deal with what may come in the future.

My thoughts have always been this: Get what you want the first time or you'll be wishing you did the rest of the time you have the car. The T-Tops are not a redlight problem, so it's no biggie. If you get a car with T-Tops and it leaks, Don't be suprised, you just have a bit of work ahead of you. If it doesn't leak, sweet! You're ahead of the game!

I'd say my t-tops are a big part of why I love my car. There is nothing better than cruising with the t-tops down. :)

Mine never leaked, but the weatherstripping was bad. I used some standard weather seals from Advance Auto and they seal tight as hell now.

It all comes down to how serious you are about buidling a racecar.

From what I've read on this board it seems that the hardtops, while flexing less, are actually more likely to form cracks at the b-pillar. T-tops flex but they flex at that center bar and don't crack the body as much. BTW my car is a t-top car and I love it but it's just a sunny weekend cruiser and not a racecar.

Hope this helps.

bob

id have to vote no on the ttops. there gonna leak and there gonna creak.i had them in my old t/a and they were a bitch.i spent a grand to have them completely redone by a very reputable guy around here. they were great for about a month or 2, then they were leaking and creaking again. that car probablly dosent have half the power of these turbo buicks that we have.:D

You guys who think you don't have rust............wait till you take out the seals to find total rust and corrosion under them. ;)