t top car suggestions

Boostedpimp

awd v6 power
Ok i've been looking to trade my nice gmc syclone for a decent grand national or silve ttype well I found a guy with an 87 ttop car willing. The car is mostly stock except for 42.5 injectors, shift kit and catback but im not a ttop kind of guy so I wanted to find out what kind of bracing would be suggested for a ttop car to handle 3 or 4 nights at the track a year and some street action with dr's.

I know ttop flex like a mofo and 99 % of them leak or squeek so im having second thoughts but would like to know if you can make them stiff and at what cost.

THanks

I had a t-top car and hated it, I waited til I found the right hardtop car and love it the difference in rigidity is definately noticeable. If it were me I'd wait unless you have to have t tops.

I have a T-Top car and LOVE it.

I would NEVER buy one that I intended to take to a track, ever. More of a show car or cruise night car. Nothing is nicer than the tops out on a warm night.

But NEVER at the track, no matter what type of bracing is added.

I would pass on a T top car also. Rust loves to develop in that area of the roof, so look real carefully.

Plus if the car has C & C dealer installed T-tops good luck trying to find the correct replacement weatherstripping. You have a better chance of winning the lotto IMO.

haha Im not a t top kind of person at all so that along with what you guys mentioned I think im going to pass on the car thanks allot guys

Ryan, If your near So.Jersey,stop by the house sometime.It started out as I'll just change the weatherstripping and escalated from there.Not thats it's a rust bucket up top, but was hoping for better none the less....x2,Wait for a hardtop if your gonna run it.

Ryan, If your near So.Jersey,stop by the house sometime.It started out as I'll just change the weatherstripping and escalated from there.Not thats it's a rust bucket up top, but was hoping for better none the less....x2,Wait for a hardtop if your gonna run it.

Yeah im in Marlton which is about 15 minutes away from Atco Raceway so I could swing by and bs.. I don't think im going to go with the t-top car now even though it's clean as hell with 54k miles on it. It's not really what I want you know.

Sorry to hear that your little 2 hour jobber turned into a project, sounds like you have a touch of my luck :(

Just curious. How many T-top cars were made and do these cars weigh more or less than solid roof car? I have a 87 T-top with bad rod bearing don't know if I shoud build the motor up or keep it more stock. How fast have some of you guys gone in a T-top car?

All that I've read or been told is to do what you can to brace the car structurally.I have yet to get times for mine(legally..:rolleyes: )But do some searches on what other guys have done/run.Board is a wealth of info just have to dig for it.

Personally i would never buy a t-top car again, they are just a pain in the a$$ to deal with.Just wait and see if you every get one or just get a ride in one when it's sunny and hot out side:mad: It's like baking in a oven.For a piece of mind just go with a hard top car, less problem to deal with

I put new front sway bar bushings, #3 and 4 lower body bushings, rear seat braces, fender braces and lower crossmember braces and have had numerous comments from people with hardtops that my car is tighter than theirs.
By the way, I have 102,500 on the clock.

I also thought I did not want a T-top car when I was searching for my GN and was dead set on a hard top. However, I found an amazing car w/ 38K on the clock with no rust anywhere even in and around the roof pillars.

The previous owner put all the braces on it and it is tight with no roof cracks. As an FYI I've seen several solid roof cars with cracks and spydering in and around the windows.

Now...as far as a pure drag (below 10.50's) car goes there is no doubt you want a solid roof car.

I wanted a cruise/someday show car and wanted to be able to drag it 4-5 times a year without any worries and wanted the best conditioned car available for the money I was looking to pay.

Hope this helps

Bill

T-Tops

I love mine, but they do make some noise. But over all I can live with the noise for some good sunny day cruise's with tops off. The bad part about mine is that T-top cars were in such high demand that GM could not keep up with t-top request. So they used some out siders to put some of the tops on the cars. Unfortunately I have one of those cars, it was done by a company called C & C, I have got in touch with the gentleman who bought C&C’s entire remaining inventory, but he has a limited supply. But if you’re in the market for a hard top ca,r my father has a hard top GN he may trade.

YouTube - Buick Grand National Evadale TX

Attachments

• My Baby.jpg
    My Baby.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 268
I have a T-top car i like it, it runs 12.40 1/4 just in stalled a TE61 and 3200 stall taking it back to the track. have seat braces and big rear sway bar. no trouble yet!

I have a T-top car, it's great during the summer nights with a girl. :cool: All T-tops leak through, luckily the shop I take my GN to really knows how to work the weatherstripping. They put all the braces from kirban and upgrade the body bushings. Now my GN is quieter then the hardtops I been in, and it doesn't leak.

2-2.jpg

kirban 2 cents worth

From personal experience, and judging from the comments from above individuals a solld roof is more desireable. This becomes really appearant now that the cars are 23-24 years old. The only saving grace for a T-Top one at this point is if the current owner kept it fairly stock and garaged and most importantly installed every possible brace set back when the car was fairly new.

Even if the owner claims to have never removed the tops almost certainly he has washed it over the years and hose water produces the same results as rain water-moisture.

Two things can become real evident real quick. Put a T-Top car on a lift and watch what happens and hear what happens. With a good portion of the roof cut out you can understand why.

When water leaks its always down hill, and it is usually in the front corners of the a-pillars besides warping the board behind the door panel material water trickles down the front pillar and before you know it it is causing problems with your ECM unit in the passenger kick panel.

I have sold some very very nice T-Top cars years. On the other hand a factory astroroof offers similar fresh air options and although it was priced about the same price as the T-Top option it is more desireable if a person is seeking some sort of roof option.

But buy what you perfer, but if its a T-Top give it closer examination before purchasing. I have bought them, because some buyers like them.

kirbanperformace.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Have had a few Turbo Regals over the years. Many actually.