T&D's with stock valve covers?

counterman

I noticed on T&D's website that their roller rockers don't appear to be compatible with the stock GN valve covers. I have a set of the RJC spacers, but have to ask if that will be enough. So, what covers are you using with the T&D's ? I still have the stock heat shield and a/c box, so I have that to contend with height wise. Thanks, Counterman.

Stockers will work with spacers. Makes it a little tight around the AC box, but not impossible. Good luck!;)

Update! The RJC spacers may NOT provide enough space for the T&D roller rockers with the factory valve covers! Upon investigating a valve train noise on this new motor, I discovered that the threaded part of the rocker arm adjusters was still lightly contacting the top surface of the factory valve covers at each rocker arm, slightly marking the cover. No apparent harm done, as the car has not been driven yet, but I did break in the flat tappet cam like this. No major contact, but disturbing for sure. I am running the rubber vc gaskets, and I figure that double or trippling them up will take care of this. However, I am looking at the T/A covers as a possibility, too. It just goes to show, that you have to check and recheck everything when playing with these things. Counterman.

I am just finishing up a engine with 1.55 T&D Rockers with the RJC spacers and stock polished valve covers.
The RJC spacers are glued to the heads with sealer and rubber Gasket under the covers.
The closest point looks like the adjusting allen/bolt.
I have at least 0.030' between the cover with the rocker in it's highest postion
I checked it with the cover on and tight, then slid a gauge in though the oil fill hole with the rocker at it's highest point
Where are your hitting?
Do you have 1.65 T&D Rockers?

What ratio rocker are you running? I ran the 1.55 shaft mounts with spacers on the stockers with no clearance issues:confused:

I thouught about that too. I do have the 1.55 ratio. I have contact at the Allen screw location only, and then just a small amount. Just enough to hear it, basically. When mocking this thing up on the stand, I didn't actually measure the clearance. I eyeballed it and thought I had it clear. I am using the FelPro rubber gaskets. The motor has been together for 6 months on the stand. The gaskets did crush somewhat over that time, maybe a few thousanths or so. I suspect that was the difference. I also rtv'd the spacers to the head and used the vc gaskets stated before. Like I said earlier, double stacking the vc gaskets would probably be all that I need to do. I am leaning towards the TA low profile covers, however. They are taller at the rocker area, but rounded on the sides, allowing them to clear the roller rockers and the ac box, too. Counterman.

I thouught about that too. I do have the 1.55 ratio. I have contact at the Allen screw location only, and then just a small amount. Just enough to hear it, basically. When mocking this thing up on the stand, I didn't actually measure the clearance. I eyeballed it and thought I had it clear. I am using the FelPro rubber gaskets. The motor has been together for 6 months on the stand. The gaskets did crush somewhat over that time, maybe a few thousanths or so. I suspect that was the difference. I also rtv'd the spacers to the head and used the vc gaskets stated before. Like I said earlier, double stacking the vc gaskets would probably be all that I need to do. I am leaning towards the TA low profile covers, however. They are taller at the rocker area, but rounded on the sides, allowing them to clear the roller rockers and the ac box, too. Counterman.

Order yourself a new set of push rods about .100" shorter, and your problem will go away. You NEED to use .100"-.150" shorter push rods with T&D's anyway (with stock cam/lifters) to get the correct geometry and to keep the oil hole open to feed the roller bearing. It sounds like your push rods are a tad too long. How far are the adjusters sticking up past the lock nuts?

has the motor been started before? cause the lifters will prime up when started and make up that 0.030 real quick!

I am just finishing up a engine with 1.55 T&D Rockers with the RJC spacers and stock polished valve covers.
The RJC spacers are glued to the heads with sealer and rubber Gasket under the covers.
The closest point looks like the adjusting allen/bolt.
I have at least 0.030' between the cover with the rocker in it's highest postion
I checked it with the cover on and tight, then slid a gauge in though the oil fill hole with the rocker at it's highest point
Where are your hitting?
Do you have 1.65 T&D Rockers?

Turbofabricator, I have excellent oiling on all the rockers at the current adjustment position. Visible oil at pushrod and valve stem ends with nice flow. I have 5-6 threads above the top of the lock nut. This is consistent across all valve locations. Counterman.

I slid the the 0.030" through thinking that was enough
but after checking today it's at least 0.080"

Well, I could see that a slightly shorter pushrod could be the ticket here. This thing has Champion irons, so they have at least been cleaned up, as has the block. I am running an Edelbrock flat tappet cam here. I did some digging and found some interesting specs. I checked out Sealed Power's specs. They list rp 3164 as the stock pushrod for the Buick v6. It has a nominal length of 8.693. Off the shelf Ford 460 pushrods use the same 5/16 diameter and ends as the Buick. Part rp 3160 has a nominal length of 8.550, and rp 3252 is listed at 8.616. Both are stock 460 Ford items and would appear to be drop ins for the Buick. The adjustability of the T&D's would probably allow either to be used with a geometry close to stock. This would leave perhaps 2-3 threads above the locknut, and that would indeed be enough to clear the valve cover as is. Definitely something to think about. Counterman.

What matters more is not how many threads are "above" the locknut but are they flush on the "bottom" or within a thread either way? Sounds like yours are up pretty far from the pushrods being on the long side. Smith Brothers can have you a set in a few days if you measure them up. I measured mine so the bottom was flush & had about 32 thou preload already & got them to make a nice hardened set & little thicker in size. They all sit nice & flush & have great oiling on the stand being primed.

Just a six, I will investigate the bottoms this weekend. I believe that the pushrods are indeed too long. I put it together with the stockers I had, thinking the adjustable arms would compensate. That was partially true, but things are a little tall. I will bring things back towards a happy medium adjustment wise. I have a 8.550 unit hanging around, and I think it will be perfect given what I see here. I will mock this up in a day or two, and go from there. Thanks a plenty, Counterman.

yes i run rjc spacers with 40 thou preload on a 210 210 . roller cam ..1.65 rocker ratio..no rubbing

Cpac, that sounds more like it. I am at 5-6 threads over the locknut with the stock push rods. Using the shorter 8.550 rods, I should be right at 3 threads shorter, more or less. That should bring me in right about where you are. I will play with this on the weekend. Thanks, Counterman.