T&D's with stock valve covers

MSDGN

I building a new motor...has 14-bolt GN1's with 1.65 T&D's...I was planning on using the stock valve covers with RJC spacers...did run into a problem with the pass side cover...the baffle in the front is in the way...it hits the rocker stand...the drivers side cover though seems to fit fine so I'll just use 2 drivers side covers...it seems to fit fine with no interference but I can't check it with rockers at full lift since lifters aren't pumped up...not sure if clearance will be OK...anyone running this setup?....

Yes... and that setup looks nicely stock, but can need inner machine work to make work :) Our own list member "Bad as L" has done it... I have them on my own S2/GN1's mill. But he is also a machinist in real life ;) Lately we went up to 1.55" dia springs, and then he even had to add alum stock on the outside of the cover to support the inner fly cutting. These are now probably the trickest, most overdone GN valvecover$ in existence ;) lol... <sigh>

I'll try to shoot a pic or two of them this afternoon in fact... They probaby deserve it :D

TurboTR

What type of inner machine work are you talking about...on the sides of the cover?...top?...I test fit one and it seemed to fit fine with no interference...just wondering about the top clearance when the rocker is at full lift...

Here are 3 shots, 2 inside (either side) and one outside. Not sure how much is required to make it work with what you have so far.

The 1st one shows that the bolt holes were sleeved and most of the inner wall machined away. The rails were notched for pushrod clrnc.

GN valvecover inner rework 1

This one shows that stock was added to the outside to make room for 1.55" dia springs.

GN valvecover outer rework

This one shows how the wall was flycut and machined to make room inside for the springs.

GN valvecover inner rework 2

TurboTR

LOL....Todd has a lot of stuff crammed under his valve covers so it took lot of work to clear everything.

If you are running the standard shaft rocker and stayed with the 1.25 inch valve spring and the lift isn't over .500 I think you will be fine.
Your really should check the rocker adjusters against the inside of the covers though....maybe use a couple of solid lifters to check. If it interferes it will punch a nice clean hole in your cover. Dale

Hmm, seems I recall some spring keeper to cover interference even with the smaller dia springs with the GN1's/S1 mill...

TurboTR

Todd
It was tight, there's no doubt...I think it could go either way depending on how you bolted it down. If you pulled to hard on it with the manifold side screws it would probably rub. It mostly depends on how thick the spacers are also.
Dale

Wow they look good but that's more work than I wanted to do...my lift is .548 with the 1.65 rockers...the springs were replaced with some beefier ones but don't know the diameter...anyways it looks like the covers probably won't work without some massaging...I'll go with GN1 covers...