T&D Roller Rocker Problem

Nick McCardle

Just tried installing my 1.55 ratio T&D Roller Rockers tonight to test the pushrod length and hopefully finally get this thing together. There's an issue with the RRs though, once they're torqued to the head they seem to bind. Most won't rotate at all- without a pushrod....the ones that do are VERY tight. They rotate fine when not torqued down. Ideas? Maybe I got sent a set for the wrong heads?...would they even come close?

are the heads clearanced at the sides of the pedestals for roller rockers?

stock meaning iron heads like the 8445 , aluminums with shaft mount like stock use different setup for spacing

stock iron heads still need prep also have to check with roller cams and high lift rockers that the bottom of the exhaust valve spring retainer doesnt contact the exhaust valve support. the stock head has intake seals and head is cut down for these the exhaust is taller without a seal, for roller cams normal head prep is to clearance the pedestals and cut down the exhaust side like the intake is and install teflon seals.. Champion does these mods on all their ported irons

stock meaning iron heads like the 8445 , aluminums with shaft mount like stock use different setup for spacing

stock iron heads still need prep also have to check with roller cams and high lift rockers that the bottom of the exhaust valve spring retainer doesnt contact the exhaust valve support. the stock head has intake seals and head is cut down for these the exhaust is taller without a seal, for roller cams normal head prep is to clearance the pedestals and cut down the exhaust side like the intake is and install teflon seals.. Champion does these mods on all their ported irons

I got some slight port work done on the heads over the winter; shortened valve guides, good seals, larger valves, etc. Didn't have a clue about the pedestals. Didn't decide to run roller rockers until I snapped some stock shafts though either :D
I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow.

Did you find out what is needed to run those roller rockers? I am in the same boat now 2nd broken rocker shafts even with the RJC braces.What kind of machining is needed to run these? Thanks

Did you find out what is needed to run those roller rockers? I am in the same boat now 2nd broken rocker shafts even with the RJC braces.What kind of machining is needed to run these? Thanks

As mentioned, you must shave the pedestals down about 1/2" A dremmel will do it but my machine shop did mine for free. Most charge about $40.

Blackmonte I sent you some pics. to show you what they look like when thev'e been ground for roller rockers. Iv'e done them on car but it's a pain in the azz. Mike

Thanks for the pics, maybe its time to get the heads ported and goodies done as well ,I really didnt want to but oh well.

I did mine on the car and it wasnt too bad at all. Dremel worked like a champ, just cover all the holes well.

As ugly as it sounds you can use a mandrel for a cut off adapter and a 90 degree die grinder. Gets in a little tighter and you can keep it straighter.

Would you guys mind posting those pics or sending them to me aswell. id like to see how the heads have to be ground. thanks

Ive search this many times with no luck and again today and am still coming up with no photos. If someone has these on hand and could email them to me or post them it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave. ta88gta@shaw.ca

Just test fit them and you will see where they hit. Its on the sides of the towers.

the thought of grinding on the heads while installed in the car sort of scares me-------really hard to insure freedom from contamination -------on numerous engines i have slightly clearanced the lower part of the rockers instead of the pedestals............RC

the thought of grinding on the heads while installed in the car sort of scares me-------really hard to insure freedom from contamination -------on numerous engines i have slightly clearanced the lower part of the rockers instead of the pedestals............RC

Some rockers are already clearanced and all thats need is to grind flat spots on the washers so they are not pinched between the uncut pedestals. They will be thinner when done but still function fine. They are a little tough to put on though. You will have to grease the washers in place an squeeze the assemblies together after lining up the rocker arms so they dont spin on the shafts when installing. Forget about grinding on the engine. You will never get all the iron grindings out

Here are pictures of a stock pedestal that was clearanced for T&D rockers on a mill. I used a 3/8" ball end cutter and checked the rocker clearance afterwards. I milled the pedestal right up to the area where the pedestal contacts the shaft. Both sides of the pedestal need the same machining. The washers clear just fine after the machining without notching the washer.

The second picture is an 8 bolt GN1 head with stock style pedestals. They come from Champion with plenty of clearance in this area.....but you better look closely at the area where the retainer comes close to the underside of the rocker. Stock diameter springs are no problem and beehive springs have lots of clearance too. If you go larger than stock diameter springs, this can be a problem.

Dave

Attachments

• rocker pedestals 001.jpg
    rocker pedestals 001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 565
  • rocker pedestals 002.jpg
    rocker pedestals 002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 559