Symptoms of a bad chip?

TRBON8R

I'm getting my car ready to go through emissions testing, so that means swapping from my ME chip to a standard chip. I plugged in a 91 octane street chip that I used to pass smog with 2 years ago. I also put the factory vacuum T for the turbo back in place along with the boost solenoid (I had been running tuner style). The car will start, but sputters and won't idle at all. I started with a baseline of 44 psi FP (line on), tried taking some fuel out and still no good. I even tried cranking the pressure up and the car sputters and stumbles while idling. When I put the ME chip back in, the car runs perfect. I swapped the chip out 3 times and still can't get it to work? I'm guessing the chip is bad or is there something I might be missing here?

You may have to change translator dip switch settings to account for the fact that you're not using a ME chip. Possibly dip switch setting 3, move from off to on. Additionally, you may have to change maf and WOT base (with more emphasis on maf). Maybe the ME chip acts like an Extender chip, therefore you would have to adjust to non-extender mode.

Joe,

My car is running the stock MAF, no translator. Although you have got me thinking about something. The ME chip calls for no screens in the MAF. I wonder if this might be causing a problem with the 91 octane chip?

Since the CA emissions test is loaded mode only, at what tps setting does the ME chip initiate closed loop. If it is in closed loop during 15mph and 25mph (in drive) you may just try taking your chances with the ME chip

Originally posted by TRBON8R
My car is running the stock MAF, no translator. Although you have got me thinking about something. The ME chip calls for no screens in the MAF. I wonder if this might be causing a problem with the 91 octane chip?

You'll definitely need to have at least one screen in there with your 91 chip. I assume the 91 chip is made for 50's?
If the chip is bad, you'll typically get a rapid blinking SES light.

Regards,
Eric

Thanks guys.

Joe I'm not sure of the answer to your last question. Maybe Steve Y or someone else can help? Joe, if someone does have the answer to this question please keep me advised if you think I stand a chance to pass emissions with the ME chip. I'm not sure how well this chip would work for the smog test?

Eric, yes the chip is definitely made for 50s. I passed smog easily with this same chip two years ago. Since then I have done ported iron heads with big valves and a 206/206 cam, and have switched over to an ME chip. Maybe I do need to get a screen installed in the MAF then? The car starts up and sounds great until the chip commands the idle to start coming down, then the car starts stumbling and running like crap.

Thanks guys.

Joe I'm not sure of the answer to your last question. Maybe Steve Y or someone else can help? Joe, if someone does have the answer to this question please keep me advised if you think I stand a chance to pass emissions with the ME chip. I'm not sure how well this chip would work for the smog test?

Engine running (coolant temps above 160), at idle the check engine light will flash very fast (twice/second). Once the chip switches to closed loop, the flashes will slow to once/second or once every two seconds (this is closed loop). You need to know if the engine is in closed loop at 15mph and 25mph (as these are the speed parameters of the emissions test).

Joe,

Oh yes, thats definately the prob. The stock or stock based cals are meant to be used with screens.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Oh yes, thats definately the prob. The stock or stock based cals are meant to be used with screens.

Thanks Jim. I talked to Nick M and hopefully he can scrounge up a MAF screen for me since I don't have my originals. Last time I went through smog testing with my street chip I had one screen in the MAF, but since going to the ME chip I chucked both screens. It really is amazing how something that small can make the car totally run like crap! :) :)