Syclone / Typhoon vs Turbo Regal

jawort0

I was wondering how the Syclones and Typhoons rank with respect to the Turbo Regals. I have a 87 Turbo Limited and would like to add one of these turbo trucks to my collection, however, it seems they do not have the "go fast" potential. I checked some of the boards and it seems there are alot for sale cheap that are broken. This seems to be bad news concerning the possibility of making them faster or them being decent investments.

My father worked at the GM Shreveport S Truck plant when the Syclones and Typhoons were built, so he has already been fascinated by them.

Please let me know your thoughts on if these are a good vehicle to buy. If they are, do they have the flexibility like the Turbo Regals of being able to use a standard naturally aspirated long block? Also, do they have the ability to go faster for not much money like the Turbo Regals?

Thanks, Joe

I believe the syclone would be the closest. I believe it was the quickest production truck for a long time. 0-60 in the 4's

I've always wanted one, just not bad enough to buy one. There's a nice one for sale in the non buick cars for sale section.

Typhoon was 0 to 60 at 5.4 and the Syclose at 5 flat. Great trucks, I personally would go with a Typhoon, but I haven't found one in good shape....because I don't feel like throwing another 15k into a car

Big thing with them is the whole other aspect of the AWD system which once you add power plan on dropping some money into that. Also as are parts for the Turbo Regals, parts are hard to come by and expensive when you find them. I lvoe the cars and they FLY out of the whole. But unless highly modified, they are complete pigs from any roll above 40. Great collector car in good shape.

Just a comment on my Syclone,
it is not highly modified.
Last time @ Fontana a month or so ago,it was running lean,13:8 A/F ratio (stock injectors too small) & I ran a 12.0 @ 108,the low MPH was because of the lean A/F mixture.

Just a few mods & my Syclone ran low 12's.

The fastest Syclone is in Sweden runs 8.6 he drives it on the street,& I do not think he has put that much into the transfer case or axles etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KmCJq0S6Y

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsyclone

Part of the reason they do not pull good top end (stock) is because the fuel pump cant keep up. I was running 101-102 MPH @ LACR,but after I put in a Walbro 255 HP pump,I got up to 106 MPH @ LACR. Not bragging,just commenting on my very mild add on parts only onto my Syclone

I remember when the Syclone came out & then the Typhoon. The concept just never took off like the GN's did. I also remember an aquaintance who had a Typhoon that never seemed to run right.

I remember when the Syclone came out & then the Typhoon. The concept just never took off like the GN's did. I also remember an aquaintance who had a Typhoon that never seemed to run right.
One reason they didn't take off, I think, was the price. A Ty was right at $30k new if I remember reading the window sticker on my ole 93 correctly when I had it. That was a hell of a chunk of money, especially in the early 90s.

Naturally Aspirated Long Block

Can a naturally aspirated long block be installed in place of a turbo Syclone / Typhoon like can be done with the Turbo Regals? I have seen a couple for sale with blown pistons, etc.

Thanks, Joe

i had a syclone and i recently sold it cause i am an azzhole, that truck had a 10 program chip and exhaust only and it ran 12.9 on street tires all day at the track, the only thing with those trucks are that they are really finicky, very sensitive.

I have a syclone and 2 typhoons, and let me tell you they make for some BRUTAL boost-launches, even on the street with street tires. They are a blast to drive, but can be a pain to get dialed in/maintain. They will never have the aftermarket support that our Buicks have, but good products are available for them. I've got my fingers crossed, but I don't think they'll ever reach the same collector status as our buicks have. Most people have no idea what they are, much unlike the GN.

I would say buy one for the fun factor to actually drive it some, not as an investment to sit permanently in a garage. And don't go crazy with the mods like I have. As mods go up, reliability seems to go down. No new earth-shattering info here, just my opinion. :D

I bought a 2k mile Syclone in '92 and sold it in '95. Paid about $16k if I remember. Absolute blast to drive. Limitless traction and great brakes. The pistons won't stand much abuse and engine removal's a chore. I'd love to have another, I'm just not ready to give up the Buick for it.

Can a naturally aspirated long block be installed in place of a turbo Syclone / Typhoon like can be done with the Turbo Regals? I have seen a couple for sale with blown pistons, etc.

Thanks, Joe

The pistons are hyperutecnic (SP) they will blow apart w/detonation,especially if the detonation is autible (you can hear it)

Yes ,you can use a naturally aspirated long block,but the CR will be too high.
Stock compression is 8.4 IIRC.

The actual Sy/TY engines are nothing more than a Chevy Astro van engine w/lower compression pistons installed.

They have the worst flowing heads Chevy ever made,same head design as the 1987-1995 Chevy V-8 truck heads ,,High swirl design ,if you guys know those heads,then you know what I am talking about. Those are the biggest restriction on the intake side of things.

If I were to install newer style heads cast iron 1994-1995 Called L-35 heads, they will bolt right on,,I am sure it would almost drop 3-5 tenths in the 1/4 w/minimal porting,bowl work,short turn radius'

I do not do that conversion because it runs pretty good now & it is all original LB w/low miles.

A more drastic change,requires mods to install are the 1996 & newer Vortec V-6 heads, I do know those heads flow pretty good,but I am pretty sure you can get close to the same results CFM wise w/the L-35 heads,which will bolt right on.:cool:

They made less than 3000 Syclones,which you would think it would be a collectable,& they are if you keep them stock or close to stock. $25,500 sticker price was a bit high for a 2 passenger truck in 1991

IIRC,the advertisement for a Syclone stated 0-60 4.6 or 4.8 in the wet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Syclone

Pistons

I assume the syclone hypereutectic pistons are cast aluminum, right?

What are the stock turbo regal pistons made of? Are they cast or forged? Would they be eutectic, hyper or hypoeutectic?

Thanks, Joe

I would say buy one for the fun factor to actually drive it some, not as an investment to sit permanently in a garage. And don't go crazy with the mods like I have. As mods go up, reliability seems to go down. No new earth-shattering info here, just my opinion. :D
Tru

I assume the syclone hypereutectic pistons are cast aluminum, right?

What are the stock turbo regal pistons made of? Are they cast or forged? Would they be eutectic, hyper or hypoeutectic?

Thanks, Joe

Yep, they are cast & fragile. Guys w/stock turbos have run as high as 27 PSI on stock long blocks w/a lot of meth.

What are the stock Turbo Regal pistons made of? Cast or Forged aluminum? What are the syclone pistons weaker than the Turbo Regal pistons?

Thanks, Joe

What are the stock Turbo Regal pistons made of? Cast or Forged aluminum? What are the syclone pistons weaker than the Turbo Regal pistons?

Thanks, Joe

Not so sure the Syclone pistons are weaker.I think stock, the Syclone runs more boost pressure? 14 psi What does a stock T-Type or GN boost to? Or was it the same??

So,with 14 + psi of boost pressure, & if your Sy/Ty in out of tune or fuel pump is weak,filter semi plugged,it will go lean & get massive amounts of detonation & ka boom! The stock pump is barely enough to run a stock truck.

Guys have dynoed there completely stock Sy/Ty's & have made 300-310 HP @ the wheels,but with the front propshaft/drivshaft out,(most dynoes are 2WD )

The problems have been guy running different chips that were designed to run race gas,when they were actually running 91-93 octane gas.

Some have bought Syclones & Typhoons with a chip already installed & did not know & ran pump gas, stayed into the throttle & then ka boom.

Kenne Bell race chip stated you need to run like 110 Octane or there abouts,,well that's fine,but the problem was they (Kenne Bell ) removed the chips ability to pull out timing & therefore you would get knock & keep getting more knock & if you did not get out of it,,,kaboom also.

I ran a Kenne Bell Street chip & it ran fine but it @ least pulled out timing when it was knocking.
My Sy ran faster w/the ATR Pittbull street chip. 12.29 @ 108 That was a 2 bar chip also. I ran up to 18 psi,,,just goes to show how rich & safe that ATR chip was. Because the 2 bar only will read to 14.7 PSI & does not tell the ECU to give any more fuel above 14.7 PSI. But you guys already know that stuff.

Now I run the old 10-1 chip 3 bar.:cool:

Like stated above, the motor isn't anything special except for the caps and of course the intake manifold/exhaust manifolds/turbo setup so people do throw motors from later s trucks in them but they tend to have more cr.

The newest craze over on syty.net has been transplanting the lsx motors in with a larger turbo setup.. it's been done a ton of times already and parts like motor mounts and oil pans have been produced and offered for the swaps.

The weak points to the trucks are the transmissions.. they just can't handle the torque with awd of these trucks. They made over 400ftlbs of torque from the factory. Aside from that the fuel pump is straight from an n/a s truck so the fuel pump is the first thing you upgrade before touching the boost.

Other lovely factor is the tune... these trucks are touchy and no one knows how to tune them properly. Most people that are into the truck with $$ and run them jump to a Bigstuff or Fast while the stock ecm is more then capable of doing the same but is difficult to grasp. There are emulators and such that allow you to change/upload tunes on the fly while driving etc so your not faced with if I change my injectors i'll have to dump 2k out for a fast etc.

All in all these trucks are extremely quick in stock forum if maintained properly and to get to the 12s is cake. 11's and beyond is $$ where as with a TR it wouldn't be half as much to get those 11's and such.

FYI I sold my very clean 3 owner 87 gn that had the normal fixings because the syclone was so damn fun to drive.