syclone help

gndriverusmc

This is my first time on any type of forum. I have a question to any one out there that knows a little about GMC Sycones or knows a knowledgeable mechanic in the San Diego area? What is the best place to take my sluggish running Syclone? I have a GN, but it runs well (stock). Hopefully there's someone that can point me in the right direction.

A great trans guy in Santee is Don Wang (DRW Transmissions)- he also races a pretty wicked GN, and if he can't help you, I'm sure that he can steer you in the right direction.

Also, contact Lou Czarnota in Lake Forest (El Toro area)- he's turbolou on the boards, and is a top notch wrench.

Thanks for your service!

The best place to go is a place called RPM (Race Proven Motors) it's up by LA though. Guys ship there SyTy's across the country for him to work on. His name is Mike Lee, he has a nasty Typhoon he calls the Ghettosled (it's up to about 1200+rwhp last I heard). He's a really cool guy that would be able to help you out. Just go onto www.syty.net and post up, most likely one of the local guys will be able to help you out and you won't even have to go to a shop.

Yes, I just registered on the SyTy website yesterday and some guys has already offered to help and point me in the right direction. I was also referred over to Mike Lee by other guys on this site. I had the opportunity to me Don Wang and check out is awesome GN at Bates Nut Farm car show in Valley Center Ca. I will let everyone know what fix the sluggish running Syclone.

Pretty much like most high performance factory vehicles. Start with a 'spring cleaning' i.e....spark plug, wires, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, e.t.c., get a scanning/ data logging tool if possible. And look up Alkycontrol for a syty alky kit, Julio's the best...customer service and quality components. Will darn near stay on the phone while you put your kit on. Can't beat that! And prevent detonation at all costs.

Unlike our GN's... Sy/Ty's don't have a safty valve (aka) Headgasket.

When you detonate a 4.3L they smush the bearings and spin them in a hurry.:(

So... unless you'd like to spring clean the entire engine keep it safe! ;)

~Scott

Sorry for the bad comment on 'spring cleaning'....my idea was to have a good foundation in regards to fluids/filters/etc...

I know what you ment... I was just saying that detonation on 4.3's reacts differently than on 3.8's. And it's alot more expensive of a fix.
Tune on the Sy/Ty's is critical.
Best of luck,
Scott~!

That's what I've heard also. The Buick's blow their tops, whereas the SyTy's blow out their bottoms...detonation-wise. Is that something Razor's Alky would be able to help control?

Alky can help a lot, just like on Buicks & also just like with Buicks the thing that helps keep the most is a good TUNE.

JamNut's right... It's the tune that'll make all the difference in the world on power and reliability of a buick or a GMC or darn near anything turbocharged.

I don't run a alky system on anything. I personaly don't like them.

We went 10.90's on pump gas non ported GN1 headed Buick 3.8 in a Camaro.

I got out of nitrous small block stuff because it was not dependable or predictiable. Filling bottles/Alky what's the difference? I don't trust either of them.

Some guys use alky with great success.... Awsome.. great for them.
I personaly will have two tunes...

1)Pump gas at X boost/timing ect.
2)Race Fuel at X Boost/Timing ect.

I would rather pay the extra money for the race fuel than have a alky system hiccup and not function under boost and detonate my engine thus taking time money and effort away from the enjoyment of my car which is why I spent all the time putting it together in the first place.

Just one guys openion...:p
~Scott

Well from my personal trials with my Typhoon, I can say, find a good mechanic and stick with him for life. A case of beer here and there has saved me alot of grief, and yet still, I cant love my truck like I love the Buick, its too complicated by comparison.

I love my Buick & it's much quicker than my Sy, but I love driving the sy at least as much as the Buick, & you can't do AWD donuts in a T-type. ;). I'm also a glutton for punishment, I look at working on my cars as a form of therapy & between the Sy & T, I gets lots of Therapy.

looking to get a fair offer for it so I can pay off the loan, thats all, I have been offered some pretty low offers, some are just down right offensive. Seems everyone wants the truck for half of blue book because it isnt 100% with no miles on it. It runs great, and hauls some serious ass, and its been stock its entire life, no chips or turbos, and no mechanical flaws. Just needs some TLC, and some cosmetic things that one would expect from a 15 year old truck, all things considered, it might not be in as good of shape as most Sy/Tys out there, but its been taken care of and driven daily for the last 15 years.