Switching Converters...what difference will I feel???

Black1986Beast

No!! It's NOT A Monte!!!
Hey, I was told when I bought the GN that there was a TCI 2400 Stall converter in there (now at TCI's website there's no "2400" stall converter it's just in the 2400-2800 RPM range) I believe it's non-lockup, and my car is a daily driver. I'm not really liking the stall converter at all...part of the reason may be of my bad gas mileage, but also since my car is a daily driver, I'd like to not have to mash the pedal to get it to move. So anyway I should be purchasing a stock D5 torque converter soon. Shouldn't the car ride normal once I put that in there? My brother has an '87 GN and it's all stock..so I'm assuming and HOPING that mine rides just like his when it's all said and done..
What do ya think??

I could be wrong, but I doubt you will even notice the difference. If anything it will feel slower. I have a AC 3500 n/l converter in my car. I went from a D5 to the 3500. Other than pulling out of a parking spot, I can't tell the difference in daily driving. I get around 24-25mpg on the highway and at 65 mph it runs about 22-2300 rpm. Your getting ready to spend money on something I don't even think will make a difference other than make it a bit more laggy. You gas milage problem is not from the converter.

If the converter isn't it, then why is my brothers car so much more responsive??
I figured that the stall converter is the reason that in the beginning everything's alittle slower.
On the highway it's fine, but like you said, when you first get going it seems slow.
Another thing I don't like (and I thought this was from the converter also) is that when I'm driving say around 25MPH and I let off the gas to coast, when I step on the gas again the engine spools up. It'll go from around 1000 rpm all the way up to about 2500RPM without going anywhere, then it'll start pulling. Isn't this from the converter?? Wouldn't this go away with the stock converter? my brothers car doesnt do this..

It sounds like the convert may be bad. If you are stopped and step on the break and the gas, how high can you get the rpms?

Oh I can get the RPMS up there, I've done that before..but everyone I've talked to say that it's the converter and 3 of them that have all driven it (including my brother, who has his stock '87 GN) say it's the converter that's doing this.

Soggy response

If the converter is soggy at low end, the design may be of suspect. IE: the torque mult. ratio is not where it should be and/or as mentioned before it could be defective. The stator could be slipping and the torque mult is not there.
Also, IF it's a non lock, you will have to replace the non lock valve w/ a lockup valve and the proper wiring, if it's not there now.
Are you sure it's even the correct trans for the car?? Look at the tag near the tailshaft on the pass side. Is it BRF or something else? Is the plug in on the tranny side,[ dr side] a 4 wire plug?
IS the plug even hooked up?? If the plug is not hooked up, that could be a clue it's not a BRF trans, as other 200's have 3 wire plugs and they are not compatable w/ the BRF chassis plug.
As for the soggy response and bad mileage.. Does the car have an aftermkt chip in it??

Whew! :eek:
ok you just asked alotta questions..most of them I cannot answer right now..
I believe it is a non-lockup converter, but I don't know about the trans..all I know is that the guy who sold it to me didnt mention a new trans, just the fact that it has a trans cooler, and a shift kit..
Yes it does have an aftermarket chip in it. The Street Lethal chip..most people haven't heard of it but I've heard of a few TR owners using it..
But as for the other stuff, I'll hafta check.
Thanks

Verify the gear in the rear end is 3.42:1. I learned the hard way one time when the GN I bought had a 2.73. With the correct gear, it was a totally different car.

Well I know I have a posi rear, but do they make a 2.73 posi??
I believe the rear is a 3.42 posi..what differences would did you feel when you had the 2.73 in there??

you have a 3.42.

Did you check all the things that chuck asked? If you have the wrong tranny, then no converter is going to fix it.

How do you know what size gear he has Black6pack? Have you counted the number of teeth on his ring and pinion??

Verify the transmission has the BF tag on it.
Verify you have 3.42 gears.
Verify you have a 8.5" rear end. I have seen some GN's where the owner (for some terrible reason) has installed a 7.5" unit like the one that came on a Monte Carlo SS.

Yep, I counted them while he wasn't looking. If its the stock rear, then you have a 3.42, unless some numb nutz put a 3.73 in there, which you would be able to tell by the rpms/mph.

This is a waaaay loose converter... its flash stall speed is up there.
Or, perhaps its fluid coupling ability is toast! :eek: Which would explain a possible source of your poor gas mileage.

Black1986Beast, go out to your car and hold the brake pedal with all of your might! And tip into the throttle until the tires break loose... note that RPM and that is your stall speed. Share that number with us.

TCI builds some of the worst transmission components on the planet... it could be toast.

I'll check all that stuff out that u guys are askin.
Mr. T--I have the larger rear break cylinders so I should be able to hold the tires longer than normal, right??
So will this still give me an accurate reading??

If it stalls up to 3400 without a problem, then its pretty obvious that the converter has problems