Sweet Mother of God....check it out

Wow! I didn't realize you guys had such little respect for someone with a growing mind. This is a college kid who is using this as a project. He's pretty sure it's acurate and he's working on equations with conversion for gear ratio and such. I doubt hardly any of you who are making fun of this kid calling him a hillbilly and such wouldn't have even thought of how to make a dyno or anything. Besides some of the greatest ideas seemed stupid at first.

Hey, if you know the guy I'd love to have a decent chat with him on AIM or something about this, it looks cool. Definitely a feat of engnieering, I'd love to hear the abstract on it, since he's a bum and only has pics on that page =). Reminds me of my ghetto arc welder, it's like $20 worth of parts, but it gets the job done.
Originally posted by 72firebird
Wow! I didn't realize you guys had such little respect for someone with a growing mind. This is a college kid who is using this as a project. He's pretty sure it's acurate and he's working on equations with conversion for gear ratio and such. I doubt hardly any of you who are making fun of this kid calling him a hillbilly and such wouldn't have even thought of how to make a dyno or anything. Besides some of the greatest ideas seemed stupid at first.

2 things ...

How did the get the car on the wheels without bottoming the car out?

even if it was for a dyno-type purpose, it wouldnt work... however it looks like the air brakes are setup, so it would be pretty cool to tune it on there and set shift points without getting introuble on the street.

This Thread is the full discussion. For anyone who is laughing, show me your dynamometer, purchased for $235.

The forum holding that thread is populated by a lot of smart people, none of whom are laughing. The likes of which we could use more of on this board. Need a GM car tuned, these are the guys.

The concept uses a load cell to measure vehicle thrust rather than torque on the rollers. There is no need for a complex system to meaure roller torque at all as long as the forces on the car and dyno are accounted for. That is the root is this guy's initial problems and he is working through them. I am sure his numbers will be quite comparable to other dynos when he is done. The best part is that unlike a simple dynojet inertial dyno, he will be able to place short term steady loads on the car (at least until the brakes heat up).

I bet the first dynojet looked crazy and its now a bench mark dyno despite its lack of sophistication.

That is by FAR the coolest thing I have ever seen!! I did the strain gauge and CAT 5 cable laying in the pit!

Here's to the backwoods engineers! (myself included!)

Definately different.

I would guess a makeshift ramp could be used to bridge the gap between the pit and the truck tire. My concern would be side-to-side movement under acceleration.

The "S-shaped" device looks like it might be a load cell, similar to ones used in large industrial scales. Forces extracted from this load cell could yield a reading in ft/lbs.

goes to show, we have a lot of free time out here in utah.

definatly cool, in a weired sort of way.

but does anyone here understand how it works? does it pull that s thing, does it pull the axle, does it somehow measure friction on the air brakes. i see that is a very crude dyno, but i don't understand how it works.

hell the thing probably works better than most dynos, and costs less than a day spent on the dyno. to whoever did that, good job.

It works like every chassis dyno. On load dynos the car is strapped in place and the torque required to hold the drums and therefore the car wheels at a fixed or slowly changing RPM is measured.

On an inertial dyno (Dynojet) the drum cannot be restrained, its huge inertia is sized so that a typical car cannot make it accelerate overly quickly. Its a case of one size must fit all. Meauring the angular acceleration of the drum is a direct measure of the torque applied to it by the wheels.

Instead of measuring torque on the rollers you instead measure how hard the car is pulling forward. You apply braking torque to the drums like a load dyno at different RPMs and measure the thrust the car is able to generate. The thrust is measured with the S shaped load cell. The thrust in the chain must equal the force applied by the tire to the drum assuming everything is lined up square. Thrust times wheel diameter is torque, divide out by the differential gear ratio and whatever gear the transmission is and assume some percentage losses and you have engine torque.