Swaying Issues??

godwingn87

I have noticed in the past few days that under full throttle my car sways to the left & right in the rear.. It almost feels like when your pulling a big trailer and it tries to get away from you.... I thought that maybe it had to do something with the clutches in the rear so I added another bottle of friction additive ...... I just changed the rear oil do to a bit of wheel hop in sharp turns but I was later told that 2 bottles of additive wasn't a bad idea...... I'm Not sure what it is but I'm currently running 25 psi on alky so my car is a bit stronger then before.. I do a lot of spinning through 1st & 2nd on these street tires but I always have and never experienced this problem... BTW, I recently changed to the GTA wheels, I don't know if that could have an affect on the situation.....

I have noticed in the past few days that under full throttle my car sways to the left & right in the rear.. It almost feels like when your pulling a big trailer and it tries to get away from you.... I thought that maybe it had to do something with the clutches in the rear so I added another bottle of friction additive ...... I just changed the rear oil do to a bit of wheel hop in sharp turns but I was later told that 2 bottles of additive wasn't a bad idea...... I'm Not sure what it is but I'm currently running 25 psi on alky so my car is a bit stronger then before.. I do a lot of spinning through 1st & 2nd on these street tires but I always have and never experienced this problem... BTW, I recently changed to the GTA wheels, I don't know if that could have an affect on the situation.....

check your trailing arms for bushing wear. you can get tubular upper and lower for 200.00 at umi performance. will drop your 60 foot times

Are the lower control arms stock? My good friends GN did this on hard accel also, kinda scared the sh#t out of me. We ended up boxing the factory lower control arms and the problem went away. I'm sure bad bushings would also contribute to the problem.

My car had this problem. I would be going about 55 or so and pass someone and it would start that. Not a good feeling going about 65-70. Folks on this board said that it was my BFG Radial T/As. I changed to some Nittos and the problem is gone. You're not by any chance running these, are you? If you are, maybe you could try a set of another brand from someone's car and see if that fixes it.

The GTA wheels have goodyear Eagle tires on them... These are very old tires btw, as a matter of fact these wheels don't even belong to me, I'm using them while I wait on my new tires to show up for my stock GN one's.. Being I never noticed this problem with my stock wheels I can see where it could be the problem.. It's weird though, I took my car to the track the same day I switched the wheels FRi. and didn't notice it doing this until yesterday ... I got to say that it's good news if thats all it is:) Thanks!!

check your trailing arms for bushing wear. you can get tubular upper and lower for 200.00 at umi performance. will drop your 60 foot times

My Red T had a problem of kind of a wiggle when I'd give some gas to speed up and and a little wiggle again, when I let off. Over time, I changed body bushings, A-arm upper bushings, trans bushings and probably a couple more things. Anyway, finally I noticed one of my front perches for one of my trailing arms was cracked in the middle (front to rear) and the bolt holding the trailing arm in place was loose. I tightened the bolt, this closed the crack (needs welding) and fixed my wiggle. :biggrin:

My Red T had a problem of kind of a wiggle when I'd give some gas to speed up and and a little wiggle again, when I let off. Over time, I changed body bushings, A-arm upper bushings, trans bushings and probably a couple more things. Anyway, finally I noticed one of my front perches for one of my trailing arms was cracked in the middle (front to rear) and the bolt holding the trailing arm in place was loose. I tightened the bolt, this closed the crack (needs welding) and fixed my wiggle. :biggrin:

mine swayed the same way turned out to be one of the bushings was half gone the center metal sleave was right against the trailing arm housing like a half moon:eek:

Thanks for all the info fellas! I Will check all the above including a double check on the tire pressure:) I was scared it was going to be some kind of clutch problem in the rear axel... I'll look over everything tomorrow and post the results if anything I find..... Thanks,