Swapping out an ECM

ibroussard

Sorry if this question is too obvious...

I picked up a used ECM that I plan on using with a PowerLogger, and I want to make sure it works before I go any further.

To check it out, is it simply a matter of removing the ECM that's in the car, pulling the chip out of that ECM and putting it in the one I want to test, put the "new" ECM back in the car, crank it up, and drive it for a while?

Thanks,
Ira

Yes, what vehicle exactly did it come out of? The numbers has to match, and if it runs ok then you would have to get something called Goof Off from radio shack to remove the coating at the bottom of the ecm for it to read the powerlogger correctly at the pin connectors all of this requires you to take the ecm apart from the housing then reinstall. Oh yeah you will have to trim the metal housing at the bottom for the powerlogger to fit, or do like i did and just exchange housings, if you had one that worked previously. If everything is new then you would have to trim the housing; go back to the installation instructions on the powerlogger threads on this forum or full throttle speed forum.

The tag on it says...

Remanufactured by General Motors Corp.
Service number 1227148.

There's another tag on the other side of the box that has another number but it's hard to read. It looks like maybe 1665304.

I bought it from someone on this forum, and he said it is for an 86/87 turbo and it was working when pulled. It looks like it has been used, i.e., it's not a "fresh" rebuild (and I didn't expect it to be "fresh").

Thanks,
Ira

Remanufactured by General Motors Corp.
Service number 1227148

That's the correct one. My car has had a used reman GM ecm in it for over 10 years, no problems.
Remember to unplug the orange wire near the battery to clear the rom in the ecms. Take your time un-plugging the ecm connectors, the retainer clips can be snug. Make sure the chip is inserted the right way and firmly seated.
You're on the right track, stop and go driving is best to re-learn the computer. Any stalling, surging and/or rough-running should clear up quickly.
Goof-off or Goo-gone works great to clean the connectors for the PL module as stated above.

Keep reading and asking questions, that's how we All learn..Jimmy