SwainTech TA Headers

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
Very happy with them DSC06764.JPG DSC06765.JPG DSC06766.JPG DSC06767.JPG DSC06768.JPG DSC06769.JPG DSC06770.JPG

Looks nice, you going to leave them white or paint them ? How about that downpipe ??

I had my downpipe and upper plenum coated by them about 5 years ago. My engine compartment isn't really show quality so I left them the whitish color. Sort of kind of like it. The downpipe got a little nicked up but isn't flaking. A lot of people had some issues with hi-temp paint on it also, plus it would be almost impossible to take it off if I wanted to. This stuff is thick and very texture-ish.
DSC03796.JPG
DSC03797.JPG
DSC03799.JPG

I had mine SwainTech coated in May & painted them Hi Temp aluminum. Hi Temp paint needs to be heat cycled . I did mine with a heat gun while mounted to my old motor. The paint would get tacky while hot then cool hard , it took 3 heat cycles to cure at progressively hotter cure temps which I'm sure most don't do , just paint install & flake off . Where in NY are you ? I'm 20 mins east of Rochester .

Last edited:
The headers design look nice did they come with the elongated holes on the turbo flange from TA?
I have had to do that to both the stock and aftermarket sets I have to accommodate my POS down pipe.

^^^^^^^If you zoom in on pic#7 you can see the turbo flange mounting with the holes.

I'm sorry, misunderstood a little. Yes they came that way from TA. They were drop shipped to Swain directly from TA.:)

Nice quality like everything else I have seen from TA. Thanks for posting.

So I just bought a set of T/A stock style replacement headers and I am debating having them coated since I've already dropped a significant chunk of change on the new headers... I was wondering how the swaintech coating is holding up and more important how much did you pay? Also in the end do you feel it was worth it? How are the under hood temps? Also did you test fit your headers first before shipping them off?

So I just bought a set of T/A stock style replacement headers and I am debating having them coated since I've already dropped a significant chunk of change on the new headers... I was wondering how the swaintech coating is holding up and more important how much did you pay? Also in the end do you feel it was worth it? How are the under hood temps? Also did you test fit your headers first before shipping them off?

Mine are holding up great , but the clear VHT I sprayed on the SwainTech coating didn't ! The clear coat was to make them easier to clean , but it turned brown in the hotter spots . The upside is the VHT came off very very easy with a scotchbrite pad and the coating underneath looked like new . I can't remember what I paid for mine , but you can price it out pretty close from their price list . Headers are a set price , crossover & down pipe are by the foot . I have about 2000 mile with E85 on my coated pipes and NO flaking at all . I don't have any before & after temps to report , but I'm sure it's lower . In the picture there is a stainless spacer between the turbo & downpipe and it's discolored from the heat . The downpipe looks like the day I put it on . This stuff is thick ! Sam
DSCN0345.JPG

Adam-
I had my downpipe done years ago. Think it was around $120. I also needed replacement headers and figured I would do them also. I would have to look it up but it was the price on the website for V6 headers plus the crossover (maybe another $100). What I will say is that the company is top notch. They did a great job, very meticulous. The heat reduction is very noticeable. I usually pop the hood when I come home with the car in the garage and without the headers coated it would be like an African breeze. Now when I pop it, it just feels like the car is warmed up. Just a guesstimate but I would say about 60%-70% less heat. The one thing I really don't like about it is the finish. It is an off white and very rough. Gets dirty easily and does scratch if hit hard (my downpipe has scars). I never wanted to paint it due to the fact that I didn't want the paint to peel off and look even worse. It is an industrial/professional look. I did a lot or research and even with the appearance factor Swain is the best-by far.
Oh and one of the tubes hit my steering U joint. My mechanic torched it and banged it with a hammer in order to get it to fit. I thought it would have chipped at least by now (done about 1 year ago), but it still looks perfect-besides an ugly a$$ dent:cry:
I did not have them test fitted first.